Play A Hand From The S@P III Main Event - QQ (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
PREVIOUS HISTORY OF HERO: Hero has shown himself to be playing a TAG style, having lost the minimum very recently with :ac::qs: against :5c::5d: on a board of :as::8c::4c:...:7c:.....:6c: when Hero bet 2200 on the river and was raised by Villain to 5500 and just called.

CAST OF CHARACTERS: UTG (Mr Tree) and UTG+1 (Shleepytime) have folded.

To Hero's immediate left is a local named Jamie who is aggressive and playing well, not necessarily tight, but not overly loose. He's willing to call raises in position with a wide range of hands while the blinds are low in an effort to chip up. He's also willing to raise in late position to punish limpers.

Next up is K9dr who is also aggressive and wily although he hasn't gotten out of line and seems to just be feeling the table out and playing more cautious than I'm used to seeing from him.

After him is a local named Steven who had made the straight flush against hero's Ace-high flush, he likes to call raises with position and seems to be a bit more loose in his calling ranges.

After him is Phil Lafond who is playing TAG.

I don't recall the player to Phil's left

In the SB is is local Dawn, she's chatty and playing very tight, rarely calls raises and when she opens she's usually got a solid hand.

I'm blanking on the name of the next player seated in the BB, but he's a PCF'er that I can picture and if I recall correctly had just made a crack at my expense.

All told, the game is still early and everyone is still deep.

PRE-FLOP ACTION: Blinds are 300/600 and Hero is sitting on roughly 32 bigs with a stack of 19,000 from his starting 25K. Folds to Hero sitting UTG+2. Blinds are 300/600 and Hero looks down at :qc::qd: Hero recently lost with his Ace-high flush against the gutshot rivered straight flush and the BB just made a joke at Hero's expense.

Hero .....?????

PREVIOUS HISTORY OF HERO: Hero has shown himself to be playing a TAG style, having lost the minimum very recently with :ac::qs: against :5c::5d: on a board of :as::8c::4c:...:7c:.....:6c: when Hero bet 2200 on the river and was raised by Villain to 5500 and just called.

CAST OF CHARACTERS: UTG (Mr Tree) and UTG+1 (Shleepytime) have folded.

To Hero's immediate left is a local named Jamie who is aggressive and playing well, not necessarily tight, but not overly loose. He's willing to call raises in position with a wide range of hands while the blinds are low in an effort to chip up. He's also willing to raise in late position to punish limpers.

Next up is K9dr who is also aggressive and wily although he hasn't gotten out of line and seems to just be feeling the table out and playing more cautious than I'm used to seeing from him.

After him is a local named Steven who had made the straight flush against hero's Ace-high flush, he likes to call raises with position and seems to be a bit more loose in his calling ranges.

After him is Phil Lafond who is playing TAG.

I don't recall the player to Phil's left

In the SB is is local Dawn, she's chatty and playing very tight, rarely calls raises and when she opens she's usually got a solid hand.

I'm blanking on the name of the next player seated in the BB, but he's a PCF'er that I can picture and if I recall correctly had just made a crack at my expense.

All told, the game is still early and everyone is still deep.

PRE-FLOP ACTION: Blinds are 300/600 and Hero is sitting on roughly 32 bigs with a stack of 19,000 from his starting 25K. Folds to Hero sitting UTG+2. Blinds are 300/600 and Hero looks down at :qc::qd: Hero recently lost with his Ace-high flush against the gutshot rivered straight flush and the BB just made a joke at Hero's expense.

Hero .....?????
BB was DNeyer

Are you really asking for limp/open advice on this hand? Why not get to an interesting spot first?

Are you really asking for limp/open advice on this hand? Why not get to an interesting spot first?

I just try to take it from the start of the hand all the way through to the end to paint a complete picture of the people involved, the dynamics of the table, etc.

Fair enough. Background and reads can be helpful but I just think in this spot there's not enough of a question that you need to wait for responses before posting your initial bet.

You guys are still deep and some may suspect hero is tilting. Definitely open the pot. I think 1,800 is pretty standard open for 3x BB.

Action is on Hero and he looks at DNeyer (who made the joke) and remarks "oh, it's your blind? raise" and makes it 1,500 (2.5x the BB)

Next player to act, Jamie, barely min re-raises to 2,500 total. Folds to Hero

Pot: 4,900
Hero's remaining stack: 17,500
Villians stack: covers hero, can't remember exact but believe it's in the 33K range

Does Hero:

Fold?
Call 1,000 (4.9 to 1)
Raise?
Shove?

Standard play here after BB mocks you is to douse the big blind in paint thinner, light them on fire, and cook marshmallows from their blazing corpse after they're done screaming.

Then raise to 2K. NOTE: After flatting that river, you're probably being perceived as more T then AG so you're basically announcing AA-JJ plus AK as your range. That's one of the reasons I light the BB on fire - people have a hard time ranging you effectively after you've basically just literally killed someone at the table.

(Note: I would never condone violence, this is meant in jest, but not that it matters. You are far too short to douse a regular sized person in paint thinner).

You are far too short to douse a regular sized person in paint thinner).

O'rly?

18vrycf66bhunjpg.jpg

Action is on Hero and he looks at DNeyer (who made the joke) and remarks "oh, it's your blind? raise" and makes it 1,500 (2.5x the BB)

Villians stack: covers hero, can't remember exact but believe it's in the 33K range

Does Hero:

Fold?
Call 1,000 (4.9 to 1)
Raise?
Shove?

Based on your description of Jamie, and the min-raise, it's a pot-building bet and certainly not an isolation attempt. I think the best play here is to simply flat and setmine, and lead any undercard flop for 6K if 3 handed or less, else check/fold. If you flop a set, just scream WHEEEEEEE and jam.

Initial decision, anything between limping to raising 5x is pretty acceptable play to me. Just depends on how you want to run with it. But your default play here, and the majority of your decisions, should be to raise it to whatever the "normal" raise is for that game/table (2.5x - 4x typically).

After getting reraised, you're certainly not folding to a min reraise with QQ. Even if you have a very strong read that villain likely AA here, you're priced in to set mine, so you can't fold. The question I would ask myself in this spot is really how do I want to proceed post flop? Do I want to take a gamble on a big pot out of position, or do I want to slow play a solid hand and hope not to run into AA/KK? For you to 3-bet here, it would really isolate your range, and make the hand fairly easy to play against for the villain, especially since he has position on you. That's a tough spot to be in. Ya, you probably have the best hand, but in this spot, I think it's easier (and probably better in a tournament setting) to take the lower variance line and keep your opponent guessing as to what you have. Especially if he's a c-betting hero. However, if the villain likes to check behind on flops when he/she misses, or likes to play it slow and take free cards, I'd probably be more inclined to play the hand fast.

Villians stack: 33K

Hero calls 1K

FLOP: :ts::jc::kd:

(pot 5,900)
Hero's stack: 16,500
Villians stack: 33k

Hero is first to act, Hero ?????

Safe play is to check and see what Jamie does. If he shoves, you fold. If he checks behind you can probably bet the turn if it's a brick. If he bets you'll need to determine how far you want to go with this hand. It's unlikely that villain has AQ given that you have two of the queens in your hand. I'd guess there is a 1/4 chance he has AK, 1/4 chance he has AA, and 1/2 chance he has a set of kings or jacks. Based on your description, I don't think he's min-raising pre with AQ or worse.

When I'm playing well I'll check-fold here. When I'm not playing well, I'll call anything up to 5K here and trying to peel a straight on the turn (I don't want to make a set on this board). I guess it comes down to how you feel playing a 10K stack in this spot if you check-call and have to fold turn.

Safe play is to check and see what Jamie does. If he shoves, you fold. If he checks behind you can probably bet the turn if it's a brick. If he bets you'll need to determine how far you want to go with this hand. It's unlikely that villain has AQ given that you have two of the queens in your hand. I'd guess there is a 1/4 chance he has AK, 1/4 chance he has AA, and 1/2 chance he has a set of kings or jacks. Based on your description, I don't think he's min-raising pre with AQ or worse.

When I'm playing well I'll check-fold here. When I'm not playing well, I'll call anything up to 5K here and trying to peel a straight on the turn (I don't want to make a set on this board). I guess it comes down to how you feel playing a 10K stack in this spot if you check-call and have to fold turn.
I play with Jamie monthly and I would say your ranging of him here is spot on.

I probably would have jammed preflop with 30 bbs. If he had kings or aces so be it. As played, this flop just crushes almost his entire range. it looks tempting to play, but I think checking and folding to any reasonably sized bet is the right play.

I probably would have jammed preflop with 30 bbs. If he had kings or aces so be it. As played, this flop just crushes almost his entire range. it looks tempting to play, but I think checking and folding to any reasonably sized bet is the right play.

I had actually considered shoving pre, but figured with a starting stack of 32 bigs I was too deep to do so. On to the next part of the action:

Hero calls 1K

Hero is first to act, Hero checks. Villian checks.

TURN: :js:

(pot 5,900)

Hero ???????

Click it back pre flop, unless you were trying to trap, which you were not. Ok to lead or check call turn.

He could be checking behind with AK or AA for pot control on a scary flop. Now we are also losing to AJ if that is in his 3b range. I'm happy to check again.

Hero calls 1K

(pot 5,900)

Hero checks. Villian bets 1,000. Hero ?????

The only hand you're beating here is a bluff from an underpair. Which, if villain had it, he'd certainly have tried to steal the pot on the flop. So, you're 99% dead on this turn IMO. Toss it in face up!

Fold and laugh that you really shouldn't have called the flop with 44 to begin with. DO NOT FOLD FACE UP.

There is a slight chance that you're being bluffed here after making a pretty big lay down with the nut flush versus the straight flush. Very slight and not worthy of looking him up, but showing that you're laying down QQ (even on this wet a board) is going to invite people to make crazy bluffs against you. In a cash game this can be wonderful if you want to nit it up and nut peddle, but in a tournament it's a nightmare - everyone will be putting pressure on you trying to steal your blinds and making other post-flop plays when you're OOP. If anything, make 'em think you're steaming and maybe they'll overplay the 32nd nuts against you in a subsequent hand.

Hero calls 1K

(pot 5,900)

Hero checks. Villian bets 1,000. Hero calls 1K

RIVER: :2h:

Pot: 7,900
Hero's Stack: 15,500
Villains Stack: 32K

Hero checks, Villain bets 4K, Hero ????

Fold - this is entirely based on what others are saying about villain's range though

If villain reraises wide pre flop, then you can call him down here, otherwise you're crushed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom