QQ On The Button $60 Buy In $.25/$.50 NLH (1 Viewer)

bernielomax

Flush
Reaction score
Two hands within the past month.

Curious to see how others would play this situation.

Hand 1

$60 buy in, $0.25/$0.50 blinds. (9 handed)

Dealt :qs::qd:on the button, $55 in my stack.

UTG raises to $3. UTG+1, MP, HJ and CO all call. (3 callers).

Game started around 30 minutes ago. This is a somewhat regular game I play in, but the initial raiser and all but one of the callers are somewhat new to the game. So I don’t really know player types, etc. yet.

Hero?

Hand 2

$60 buy in, $0.25/$0.50 blinds. (Can't remember if this one was 8 or 9 handed)

Dealt :qh::qs: on the button, $45 in my stack.

UTG+1 raises to $2, MP, HJ, LJ and CO all call. (4 callers).

This is a newer game that formed. Around 20 minutes ago, so far lots of limping. Hero has very little information regarding player types, etc. yet.

Hero?

Jam in both scenarios

100 Percent Agree GIF by HBO

If in either of these scenarios one of the cold callers is sandbagging with KK or AA, then good for them. But rip your stack in and at worst, you're flipping, but you could easily get looked up by AJ or AQ or even a pocket pair. These are the games where you'll have to pry my equity from my cold premium hands.

Probably both jams.

Hand 1 a normal 3bet would be to $9ish, add 3 callers and it's $18 minimum. With even just 1 caller that's about $45 in the pot, and you'll have 37 left. Instead of going to the flop with an SPR of <1 I'd just stick it in.

Hand 2 similar. We normally go 6~8 here. Add 4 callers and that's more like $16 minimum. Once again we're gonna have an SPR of <1 on the flop, so we're going to need to see something heinous on the flop to ever consider folding, so why not try to maximize our equity now?

You say the players are new but its a game you regularly play in, are those standard opens? Are there usually so many calls? Have those callers seen you 3bet/play aggressively where they'd change their style figuring you'd attack light?

You say the players are new but its a game you regularly play in, are those standard opens? Are there usually so many calls? Have those callers seen you 3bet/play aggressively where they'd change their style figuring you'd attack light?
I would say that standard raises from an early position in this game are around $3-$5. Depending on the night several people will call a $3 raise pre flop with marginal hands just to see a flop. The regulars at this game have seen me 3-bet and play aggressively before. However, all but one of the players in this hand don't know me.

I would say that standard raises from an early position in this game are around $3-$5. Depending on the night several people will call a $3 raise pre flop with marginal hands just to see a flop. The regulars at this game have seen me 3-bet and play aggressively before. However, all but one of the players in this hand don't know me.
Oooh good position. Are the blinds batshit? If I look and see one of them keenly interested I may limp and then shove over their raise/call the allin, otherwise Im shoving both this early in the night hoping to get the dead money or called by some mook with AQ, AJ, or J4.

Set mining with Queens isnt what I want to be doing. If we bet something like $30 and get called in two places, we're dead when an Ace hits the flop.

Hand 1

Hero raises $15. SB folds. BB thinks for around 30 seconds and raises to around $30. Everyone else folds.

Hero?

Hand 2

Hero raises to $15. SB folds. BB thinks for about a minute, looks around the table and goes all in. An additional $21.75. Everyone else folds.

Hero?

Hand 1

Hero raises $15. SB folds. BB thinks for around 30 seconds and raises to around $30. Everyone else folds.

Hero?

Hand 2

Hero raises to $15. SB folds. BB thinks for about a minute, looks around the table and goes all in. An additional $21.75. Everyone else folds.

Hero?

Call both. You’re in position on hand #1 and can evaluate on the flop. It’s barely more than a min raise on hand #2.

Hand 1

Hero?

Hand 2

Hero?

H1: So the BB nearly min-clicks you. About $60 in the middle and it's about $15 to call so obviously folding is out of the question. We need 20% to call $15 into $60, we have 18.1% against only AA and KK. If we add the one remaining combo of QQ to his range, we have just over 20% equity. If we add AKs we're up to ~28%, if we add AKo we have nearly 40%. Even just 1 or 2 bluff combos compared to 12 combos of AA and KK makes it profitable to call here. The only odd thing is he has AK or a bluff he should be going all in instead for fold equity instead of min-clicking.

H2: Once again, don't see how you can fold this. Your $15 + $10 dead + $21.75 for $46.75 and $21.75 to call. Need something like 30% to make this call. Unless you have some way of knowing he only does this with AA and KK you have to call. Technically if his range is AKs and QQ+ it's right on the edge and foldable, but that's a 1.7% 4-bet range.

Last edited:
Hand 1

Hero goes all in, BB calls and shows :as::ad:

Aces hold up and I am stacked.

Hand 2

Hero calls the all in. BB shows :ah::as:

Aces hold up and I am stacked.

Not all bad news, I was able to gain some valuable information regarding both of these players as both of these nights went on.

The villain in Hand 1 is an aggressive maniac. I would have no issues shoving/calling pre-flop with QQ in the future.

The villain in Hand 2 is a nit. By my estimate he played between 6-10 hands over 3-4 hours. I will probably think twice, possibly finding a fold in similar situations against this player.

So it goes. I will say it's technically possible for someone to be card dead enough for 3~4 hours that they only end up with 5-10 playable hands. Especially in 9-max where you should be tighter and the hands will take a little longer. Not likely though, and there's other tells that someone is a nit beyond vpip.

Still, calling off with Queens with 120bb eff and a lot of dead money will rarely be much of a mistake. Just unlucky to run into Aces both times.

So it goes. I will say it's technically possible for someone to be card dead enough for 3~4 hours that they only end up with 5-10 playable hands. Especially in 9-max where you should be tighter and the hands will take a little longer. Not likely though, and there's other tells that someone is a nit beyond vpip.

Still, calling off with Queens with 120bb eff and a lot of dead money will rarely be much of a mistake. Just unlucky to run into Aces both times.
You’d have to put villain on very narrow range like AA KK only to fold QQ. Most nits / rocks know to add AK to their range so I’m never folding in live game to new player for 100bbs

You’d have to put villain on very narrow range like AA KK only to fold QQ. Most nits / rocks know to add AK to their range so I’m never folding in live game to new player for 100bbs
Agreed. You just have to stick in calls with QQ because if they're jamming AK like they should that's 16 combos you're slightly ahead of compared to 12 you're far behind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom