PCF Wine appreciation thread. (3 Viewers)

I am going to ask for a somm tomorrow and see what they say. We are going fairly early so can get happy hour pours for $9/12.

20210212_181819.jpg

20210212_181830.jpg

Anyone remembering my posts knows that I love me some Italian. This is fantastic! Great fruit tannin balance.

We do as well in Michigan. I’ve just really been loving the German versions lately. But do not know a ton about them.

I find they are great summer wines, especially if eaten with cold (or at most warm) seafood. If you like riesling, I'm sure you'll also like gewurztraminer. They are my favourite white varietals from local wineries because they make them so well. But if you have access to some from Alsace, you should give them a try.

I find they are great summer wines, especially if eaten with cold (or at most warm) seafood. If you like riesling, I'm sure you'll also like gewurztraminer. They are my favourite white varietals from local wineries because they make them so well. But if you have access to some from Alsace, you should give them a try.
+1 on Alsace! I’m not a white wine fan but Alsatian whites are some of the best I’ve had.

The proverbial Xinomavro (Sour Black) tamed by equally ancient and traditional varieties Krassato (wine-intended) and Stavroto (Cross-matching) from the foothills of Mt Olympus.
I've uploaded again Rapsani (the place name), and chances are I 'll keep doing so, 'cause it's a steal here at E8.5

Tonight it accompanied a perverse Pesto sauce (boosted with tons of garlic and black pepper) - linguine being the pasta.
It's a clearly mountain dish @AK Chip :)

Pesto Rapsani.jpg
Pesto Rapsani II.jpg
Pesto.jpg

I haven't had this one in some time. Better than I remember!

View attachment 646086

Is this 100% Tempranillo?

I have generally enjoyed Garnacha (Grenache) from Spain more consistently than Tempranillo. but I wouldn't say no to the latter if it was offered. In my area, Spanish wines offer some of the best bang for the buck, right up there with Argentina.

Is this 100% Tempranillo?

I have generally enjoyed Garnacha (Grenache) from Spain more consistently than Tempranillo. but I wouldn't say no to the latter if it was offered. In my area, Spanish wines offer some of the best bang for the buck, right up there with Argentina.
Si, Tempranillo! It has a nice little spice to it. It was only $15.

20210301_071524.jpg

I have one more bottle of the Hidalgo Tradicion H. Here are my other 2 Riojas. The 2015 was $12 and the 2018 was $10. The 2015 is on deck.

20210301_071621.jpg

Any Assyrtiko from Santorini is a marvel (especially to accompany fish and seafood). Bad thing is the World now knows, so we can hardly afford it here anymore...
Dunno
As with Sigalas, Argyros is a guarantee for Santorini Assyrtiko
Sounds very very interesting
Dunno about the last two
Xinomavro from Naoussa and Agiorgitiko from Nemea should be bought and drunk blind if the price is right. Don't know if the Diamantakos Xinomavro justifies the somewhat tall price; haven't tried it.
If you can stand resin in the wine, this is supposed to be a refined version.
That's how white wine was preserved in Greece probably for milennia.
YES!!!:love:
Haven't tasted any of the above
YES!! :love:
Absolutely. The old vines Xinomavro, though, by Alpha Estate, is even better (probably one of the very best Xinomavra ever) - and pricier.
Hard to go wrong
Dunno
Why so expensive? Please find out and tell me :)
Both should be fine
Nice in summer, fegrigerated. This grape (called Debina), though, reaches its moment of glory when distilled to become tsipouro (pure, transparent brandy, served out of the freezer).
The combos of wine-makers, varieties and vinyards should exclude any "accident"
Curious.
Not a fan of any white wine in the world other than Assyrtiko, personally:). Dunno.
Sure.
Dunno
YES! Aged white Assyrtiko etc from Santorini! Pure Lava!
Dunno
YES!!! And, excellent value for money. Hard to go wrong with Thymiopoulos. I feel sorry for the poor man's margin of profit; he must be making pennies per bottle, in order for the bottle to reach you there at that price...

Dunno
Assyrtiko from Santorini = yes

Dunno

Renowned wine-maker. Don't know if it justifies its price.
For Nemea products, be it the indigenous Agiorgitiko or excellent Cabernet Sauvignon, my safe and blind vote has always gone to Papaioannou

I 'd happily drink both (the red basically) for half the price in Greece.
Dunno

Classic, staple labels. Hard to go wrong. Axia could be more year-dependent.

Both sound excellent for the reasons stated earlier.

Dunno

Hard to ever go wrong with Thymiopoulos. This a heretical place (Macedonian highlands) to cultivate the volcanic islander Assyrtiko variety from Santorini. Intriguing.
Dunno about the last two.

With Greek wine getting acknowledged the world over, we poor locals have issues with the rising prices.
Thankfully, you can still get un-bottled treasures for $15 to $25 per gallon (provocatively put that way by me)
Here's some un-bottled mighty Xinomavro, straight from the highlands of western Macedonia, accompanying a Saturday afternoon lunch, of traditional "lagana" bread, light creamy "sour"cheese from the Amari region of Crete (hence, "Amarino") and turkey ham.
Xinomavro Lunch.jpg

Reactions: BNM
With Greek wine getting acknowledged the world over, we poor locals have issues with the rising prices.

This is *exactly* the problem with our locally produced wine as well. Over the last 30 years, they've generally developed a good reputation, so now it makes more sense for them to export and maximize profit. The only reason I don't support more local wine is because it's priced out of my range. I can find much better deals from Spain, Argentina, and New Zealand than anything local.

This is *exactly* the problem with our locally produced wine as well. Over the last 30 years, they've generally developed a good reputation, so now it makes more sense for them to export and maximize profit. The only reason I don't support more local wine is because it's priced out of my range. I can find much better deals from Spain, Argentina, and New Zealand than anything local.
The question is how these basically developed western countries can achieve/afford lower prices for their products.
If their total production is huge and their cost is low, they could be "dumping" to force other producers out of the market.
France can certainly do that; they can cater to anybody from billionaires to the homeless.
What Saudi Arabia can do antytime and has indeed repeatedly done, with oil. But, unlike Saudi oil, how much can they suppress their cost in the absence of slavery?
In sharp contrast to slavery and serfdom, capitalism can be a funny and cute system, full of surprises:rolleyes:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom