Parents of PCF: School Reentry Plans (No Politics) (2 Viewers)

What are your child(ren)s back to school plans?

• 100% Online

• Hybrid Model of In person and Online

• 100% In person

• Other (Explain Below)

• N/A

Results are only viewable after voting.
Once school starts again it is game over. There needs to be some consistency with what precautions are being taken. There is no point in wearing a mask to the grocery store if you have schools open with grade school and middle school kids all over each other in enclosed spaces.

Schools are literally the last thing on earth that should open if we care about limiting transmission.

I was watching some videos on YouTube last night about covid. There was a camp in GA with like 250 positive cases out of 600 or something. Then they interviewed people that were advocating schools to open. The dude said the damage done to children by not letting them go to school far outweighs the risk of getting infected. Like whut. I'll see if I can find the video in my history

This a picture going around on FB today of a school in GA.

how long do we really expect schools to be open?

View attachment 502736

That is crazy. Our college began limited classes for those who need in person instruction as a requirement for graduation, like some trades, apprenticeships, nursing etc. All persons needing entry into the school are required to download a security app.

1. You must answer a health questionnaire every time you want to enter the school
2. Class start times are staggered to minimize people at entrances and in the hallways.
3. After completing the questionnaire, you are assigned a specific door by the app to enter to reduce people at entryways
4. Security at each door to verify your assigned door. No admittance without getting an assigned door through the app. Masks distributed at each door - no personal masks allowed so that everyone has a fresh mask and also no debates on whether your personal mask is effective.
5. You are assigned specific stairways and washrooms by the app, again to maximize spacing. Hallways and stairways are one way only as much as possible.
6. All services closed. Once the class is over you are required to exit the building.
7. Cleaning staff disinfect the classrooms/labs between classes. We have purchased the same type of electrostatic sprayers you see being used to disinfect airplanes etc.

Last edited:
Well today was the deadline and we selected in person learning for the kids. I'm still torn, but ultimately we chose the option the kids wanted, as we do have the option of switching after the first 8 weeks. I'd be shocked if we weren't 100% online by Thanksgiving anyway.

For reference my kids are 16, 15, 14 and 12. If our 6th grader was the oldest, we would have picked the online format. The teens were adamant that they wanted in person learning.

My three kids start school online tomorrow. I was hoping to pick up inexpensive desks and set up our front room as a temporary "home office" for them until they go back to the classroom.

But of course, Ikea and a couple other local options are sold out of everything that's reasonably priced. So for the time being, they get kitchen table cubicles.

IMG_20200809_170403.jpg

IMG_20200809_170436.jpg

IMG_20200809_170414.jpg

My three kids start school online tomorrow. I was hoping to pick up inexpensive desks and set up our front room as a temporary "home office" for them until they go back to the classroom.

But of course, Ikea and a couple other local options are sold out of everything that's reasonably priced. So for the time being, they get kitchen table cubicles.

View attachment 506095
View attachment 506096
View attachment 506097

Nice work on the cubicle setup! Looks like it will function really well. We were looking for a desk for my son at IKEA to give him a separate workspace and didn't have any luck. He used a big folding table last year which was fine for 2 months, but we don't want that setup in the middle of our living room for 6-12 months vs. a smaller desk that we can stick in the corner. We eventually found a cheap $50 one that popped up on Walmart and bought that for him. Not ideal, but that's hardly a concern right now.

We are going tomorrow morning to pick up his Ipad and there are some district parent training this week that we are planning on attending to see what they are going to require. In addition, he's getting a teacher assigned this week so we will finally have some clarity on that as well.

As a teacher... I say 100% go back in person.
As a parent... I say 100% go back in person.
But, the idea of teachers being back at the school and working from there, while not allowing students on campus... doesn't quite add up.
I am struggling with what to do with my own children while I am expected to be back in the classroom teaching everyone else's kids online :confused ???

I love my son (10th grader) and my wife (K-5 art teacher) way too much to want them exposed. The Brits were able to lock it down for years during WWII and I'm pretty sure we can suck it up for a few more months.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom