Parents of PCF: School Reentry Plans (No Politics) (1 Viewer)

What are your child(ren)s back to school plans?

• 100% Online

• Hybrid Model of In person and Online

• 100% In person

• Other (Explain Below)

• N/A

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just got a survey from the school:
Which would you prefer:
1) Students in school every day with 3 feet distancing
2) Students in school every other day with 6 feet distancing
3) Students in school every other week with 6 feet distancing
4) All remote learning

Just got a survey from the school:
Which would you prefer:
1) Students in school every day with 3 feet distancing
2) Students in school every other day with 6 feet distancing
3) Students in school every other week with 6 feet distancing
4) All remote learning
Where are you located?

Well the decision has been made for us. Our school starts August 19th - 100% online. In person starts September 8th, assuming of course that we improve, and we won’t. So looks like it’s going to be 100% online for the foreseeable future.
Same for schools in our area, announced today after recent spikes in cases.

Online-only, will re-evaluate in December.

Same for schools in our area, announced today after recent spikes in cases.

Online-only, will re-evaluate in December.
Today they announced the schools in TX can go 100% online until Nov, although we have not yet decided that.

30 years as a classroom biology educator. We went full virtual learning in March then wife and I were laid off.

I have no intention of entering any classroom as a substitute or contract employee until there is a vaccine or the case numbers plummet. There is just too much risk. While we are in a bit of a tough spot, I’m thankful I’m not forced to enter any school soon. I think we are going to lose a bunch of teachers to COVID and I don’t plan to be one of them.

I have 2 college students. One at Occidental in LA and another at University of Utah in SLC. Oxy announced they are full on line for first semester (still charging full rate which is utter bullshit). How does a theatre/biochemistry double major perform or do lab work? What the hell is their 800 million dollar endowment for then?

University of Utah is going mostly live so far. I really kind of hope they go online first semester. I’m worried about my wife and I, we are in high risk categories particularly her. I’d just rather the four of us lock down in the woods in Aspen Park.

Payback. - don’t take any offense, in my entire career in 4 schools, 3 countries, 30 years Ive only worked for one principal that was competent, fair, and had teachers backs. The rest were at best mediocre in ability to plan, manage crises, and care for a staff. I think even less of school boards.

If I were charged with figuring a plan that must include live education, it would have to be hybrid. 25-50% of the kids in school at any time. You break teaching teams into pods and they are self contained, not interacting with the other pods in any way including passing periods. There would be 2 schedules for students, morning or afternoon. Utilize all big spaces (gyms) to create alternative classrooms spacing people out, no more than 8-10 students in any classroom. There are some project based things kids can really do at home...with parents too. We did a solar oven contest as an example.

No lunch services at all. Kids on free/reduced lunch can pick up pre made food packs. When they arrive, eat outside 10 feet apart (either breakfast or lunch) then go to work.

No bussing of any kind. Parents must transport, period. They are many on line apps that help educators with technology. while it has many holes, a program like Amplify allows for a computer based delivery.

You isolate, sterilize, reduce density and take care of your staff. It is NOT just about the kids. No school runs without teachers. They are on the front lines. Everything else is secondary. The best educational leaders truly understand that.

You want to cause emotional problems in younger children, see what happens when veteran teachers they love die when they contract Covid from one of the students. Worse yet is if your kids bring it home and either you or your wife dies. That will fuck up any kid for life far worse than being away from their friends For a few months longer. Kids need emotional support from quality parents. This isn’t going to be easy but what are your choices?

I really feel for kids in poverty with abusive parents in family crisis.

Wear the fucking masks!

One at Occidental in LA and another at University of Utah in SLC. Oxy announced they are full on line for first semester (still charging full rate which is utter bullshit). How does a theatre/biochemistry double major perform or do lab work?
I haven't looked into any of this, but I have to assume they're free to defer a semester or two. Am I wrong? And if I'm right, are your kids considering this?
I wouldn't recommend a liberal arts kid do the online thing, let alone pay for it. But theater? And biochem? That's just dumb.

We made the decision tonight to go virtual for the 1st semester and leave my son in his current school. With numbers still rising my wife switched sides and agreed it would be best. In addition we asked my son and he chose virtual for a few reasons which surprised us. In addition, after a few conversations with upper administration this week it seems that my district has a high percentage of also being online. Right now that's what I'm hoping for as that will make life easier on the home front, safer for the family, and easier on the administration front as then I only need to work with staff just online vs, splitting between in person /online.

We made the decision tonight to go virtual for the 1st semester and leave my son in his current school. With numbers still rising my wife switched sides and agreed it would be best. In addition we asked my son and he chose virtual for a few reasons which surprised us. In addition, after a few conversations with upper administration this week it seems that my district has a high percentage of also being online. Right now that's what I'm hoping for as that will make life easier on the home front, safer for the family, and easier on the administration front as then I only need to work with staff just online vs, splitting between in person /online.
Yeah, we're doing the same thing - virtual at our home schools, regular classroom schedule, option to transition to face-to-face at any time. It seems like the best way to provide most of the structure that my kids need while still keeping them at home for now, but also gives the flexibility to send them back to the classroom as soon as we feel comfortable enough to do so.

Yeah, we're doing the same thing - virtual at our home schools, regular classroom schedule, option to transition to face-to-face at any time. It seems like the best way to provide most of the structure that my kids need while still keeping them at home for now, but also gives the flexibility to send them back to the classroom as soon as we feel comfortable enough to do so.

How is that going to work? The same teacher is going to provide online and live classes all semester? I find that unlikely. You can switch teachers in the middle of the semester? I find that unlikely as well.

How is that going to work? The same teacher is going to provide online and live classes all semester? I find that unlikely. You can switch teachers in the middle of the semester? I find that unlikely as well.

We can't switch till mid year and we were told thry won't guarantee the same teacher from online to in person. A bit sad from the parent side, but from the educator side makes perfect sense. Basically we are just going with whatever online at this point and will fill in as needed while keeping the kids as safe as possible.

I read the fine print and our school district is allowing us to change between in person or remote every grading period and the grading periods are 6 weeks. So seems like a no brainer to keep them home for the first 6 weeks.

I read the fine print and our school district is allowing us to change between in person or remote every grading period and the grading periods are 6 weeks. So seems like a no brainer to keep them home for the first 6 weeks.
I suppose down there where it's looking scary, sure. Especially if you're starting soon. We're still 5-6 weeks out from starting - I'd hate to have to make a decision now, based on how I assume things will be in six weeks.

I'm not entirely sure as I haven't read the full final plan yet - the school board just approved it Friday - but I got the highlights.

My current understanding is that they plan to have teachers doing classroom instruction using webcams, smartboards, and student laptops. Some classes will be all virtual, others will be a mix of students at home and in the classroom.

Teachers will have online office hours for one on one assistance and do daily progress checks on students working from home.

It looks like the "transition anytime" idea that they originally promoted has changed to "end of semester or when possible." I liked the original flexibility but I can see how that would be a nightmare to implement.

They've also pushed the start of school two weeks out, to August 21. However, we have until Friday to register for the model we plan to use.

Our district had a Facebook Live meeting a couple weeks ago to explain the options: 100% online or 100% in school. No hybrid option, and they spent 5 minutes explaining why.

Just got an email update, and they're doing all online for the first 2 weeks, then offering a choice which for grades 6-12 is either online or hybrid in school. I thought hybrid didn't work according to the meeting??? Now that's what we're doing?

Whatever, we're just going to do online for the fall semester for both our kids.

Our system just announced their plans.

Students can opt for 100% online in a program run by an outside provider. If they choose this they're locked for the first semester.

Everyone else is coming back in a bizarre procedure that varies with the threat level: They'll do in person, unless it gets too high, in which case they switch to a hybrid mode (online & in-person, with varied days/hours for in person), unless it goes even higher in which case they revert to 100% online run by the school. The plan makes sense on paper, but is guaranteed to be a total clusterf* in real life.

My daughter already takes half her classes online at a local university and I tried to talk her into just doing all her classes there this year, but she really wants to go back to school at the high school, so we're going to give it a try.

My district of 100,000+ students announced we are going to start the school year virtually. No end date announced to this plan. Teachers have the option to work at home or in the school, but all students will remain at home. I'm not sure if I'll need to go in or not. Frankly, I'm hoping I don't need to.

Our system just announced their plans.

Students can opt for 100% online in a program run by an outside provider. If they choose this they're locked for the first semester.

Everyone else is coming back in a bizarre procedure that varies with the threat level: They'll do in person, unless it gets too high, in which case they switch to a hybrid mode (online & in-person, with varied days/hours for in person), unless it goes even higher in which case they revert to 100% online run by the school. The plan makes sense on paper, but is guaranteed to be a total clusterf* in real life.

My daughter already takes half her classes online at a local university and I tried to talk her into just doing all her classes there this year, but she really wants to go back to school at the high school, so we're going to give it a try.

Our local school district has the exact same plan. Seems to be pretty common in Ohio as I have heard of several others doing it as well.

Our Schools ya can go online for the 1st 6wk's and have option to change each 6wks.
Our concern is that our 14 yr old is a Basketball Team Mbr, and they can't tell us if he can play on the team, if he stays at home before Basketball Season ( if any).

Our district, Miami FL, just announced a 1 week delay from Aug 24th to 31st and 100% online for everyone until the situation improved (positivity rate has been around the 26% level) to the next stage at which time parents can choose to remain online or a in class.

My district has been telling us for weeks that the first day of school had been pushed back to August 21st (originally the 10th).

Monday, they announced that school would start on August 10th, and all students would be virtual until the 21st. At that time, face-to-face students will begin attending school and virtual will continue for everyone else. Frankly, I'm a little annoyed at the sudden reversion of the start date with barely two weeks' notice.

Also, they announced it on Facebook of all places. The district website was updated the next day, but I have yet to get a phone call.

We caved in for our 14yr old to attend school, as the periods are 9wks instead of 6wks, so he would miss the beginning of Basketball practice.

Hope and pray we are doing the right thing. So far only 16 Hospitalized in our County, with about 1000 pos results.

So a couple weeks ago our superintendent announced he got a job back in his home state and is leaving in September. That's just great. And now today we got a letter that my son's MS principal is leaving. Perfect timing for big staff changes! My daughter's ES principal just moved up to admin last school year after being my son's 5th grade teacher, so she had less than a year under her belt before this baptism by fire began. She seems to be doing ok though.

If anyone cares to see what my district is doing. A fairly in-depth plan for the face to face model. The online model leaves a little be desired, but more info has been shared since.

We are still undecided.

We have to decide August 6th - my wife and I lean towards online, but we have the "other parents" input that has to be considered.

https://web.risd.org/backtoschool/

I just listened to a very interesting interview on the radio about Houston area back to school plans. Some of my takeaways:

- The federal government is leaving it to the states.
- The states are leaving it to the local authorities (however Dan Patrick has prevented the local authorities from having any influence on religious private schools).
- Planning for reopening of schools is being carried out by the local school districts.
- The local school districts do not have the knowledge or the tools to manage what is a public health issue, not an education issue.
- There is a vocal subset of the population that continue to believe that this pandemic is a hoax.
- So most local school districts have therefore offered both in-person and online instruction since that's all they can do to keep the majority of parents happy.
- The decision is therefore given to the parents. Last time I checked, I was not an infectious disease, bio-risk or public health professional so how the hell am I supposed to make an informed decision about this?

My conclusion, as a risk management professional who does not have data to analyze, is to keep my kids at home until this all goes away - that may be years.

This a picture going around on FB today of a school in GA.

how long do we really expect schools to be open?

A607763F-8AD0-485B-B35D-EDAB68F154B4.jpeg

I have 2 college students. One at Occidental in LA and another at University of Utah in SLC. Oxy announced they are full on line for first semester (still charging full rate which is utter bullshit). How does a theatre/biochemistry double major perform or do lab work? What the hell is their 800 million dollar endowment for then?
Agreed with the whole quote, but had to mention the first time I've seen Occidental ever mentioned since leaving CA a decade ago. Spent my whole life growing up there, even graduated as part of their preschools inaugural class.

Love that school, but holy crap that's expensive for online!

Once school starts again it is game over. There needs to be some consistency with what precautions are being taken. There is no point in wearing a mask to the grocery store if you have schools open with grade school and middle school kids all over each other in enclosed spaces.

Schools are literally the last thing on earth that should open if we care about limiting transmission.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom