Our new health/fitness venture (1 Viewer)

Let me rephrase- I’m a weekend-warrior ultra-endurance athlete with some disposable income. I think I’m the exact target audience to be honest.
Gotcha makes more sense. I wasn’t sure, I remember you being in the weight loss challenge end of 2020.

I heard ultra-endurance athlete and was assuming around the clock focus on injury avoidance and over/stress avoidance.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my Garmin Enduro has been doing this for me for several years, or am I missing the difference?

(Not meant to be argumentative… genuinely interested as an ultra-endurance athlete!)

Yes, it has. So does your Fitbit, and all the other biometric devices. However, until now, none of them are connected in REAL TIME, to a system that automagically adjusts your daily exercise program as a result of the data, and those biometrics. The onus has always been on the user to adjust their own workouts based on what the device tells them.

Yes, it has. So does your Fitbit, and all the other biometric devices. However, until now, none of them are connected in REAL TIME, to a system that automagically adjusts your daily exercise program as a result of the data, and those biometrics. The onus has always been on the user to adjust their own workouts based on what the device tells them.
I have no skin in this game obviously, but you may want to research some of your competitors recent advancements…

When I start a new workout on my Garmin (any sport), it will first prompt me with what IT thinks I should do today (based on all the things you quoted). I can override that and just do what I planned (usually do!) but it does in fact make the recommendation (ex. today you should do a recovery run at x min/mi, today you should bike at y min/mi, etc).

Again, not saying this new venture doesn’t add value, just calling out that my Garmin appears to have been doing exactly what you said in the quote I quoted for several years.

I have no skin in this game obviously, but you may want to research some of your competitors recent advancements…

When I start a new workout on my Garmin (any sport), it will first prompt me with what IT thinks I should do today (based on all the things you quoted). I can override that and just do what I planned (usually do!) but it does in fact make the recommendation (ex. today you should do a recovery run at x min/mi, today you should bike at y min/mi, etc).

Again, not saying this new venture doesn’t add value, just calling out that my Garmin appears to have been doing exactly what you said in the quote I quoted for several years.

Sorry, I wasn’t being super clear. A lot of competitors and biometrics devices do in fact provide listed recommendations of what to do. It’s part of most of their offering.

My point is that no one has (until now) connected those recommendations to a follow-able set of classes with instructors, coaching and real time feedback.

A lot of people are trying to solve similar issues. Everyone has a “USP”. Our hope is that the completeness of what we’re offering, along with what I think is a superior interface and overall customer Xperience will help us gain some decent share of the market.

Fingers crossed!

So.... several thoughts.
I'm sure my fitbit shares personal data. I know the more in depth personal data put out into the interweb the more risk there is, regardless of protective precautions.
I've never taken a DNA test in my life, I don't know anything about my history or the way my body operates, other than what I've learned physically over the years.
I'd be skeptical of the results most likely, unless it was a DNA test processed by a doctor.
However, I would be open to trying it as a beta tester type thing.
There's no way I could ever even consider this product, as I couldn't afford it.
None the less, I am intrigued.

I've managed to lose weight without any device and keep it off for the most part. My bigger wonder is what workouts would be best overall for my body, not just weight loss. I would be more interested in what workouts would be most effective for my body, with the least amount of impact and pain the next day.
I love cardio, I love running, but my knees don't.

@FordPickup92 I'd recommend functional strength and mobility training. You don't need much equipment or space, there's tons of stuff you can just look up online so it's basically free of charge, and it should improve your coordination as well.

CAVEAT: I’m hardly an expert in the most current research... But from what I read in the relatively recent past (3-4 years ago) there seemed to be a lack of scientific consensus that DNA tests should be used to advise on nutrition. Something like 99.9% of our DNA is common to all humans, and dietary recommendations are similarly common unless one has a special condition—which would typically be diagnosed another way.*

I saw some studies suggesting that DNA testing might predict what foods a person will prefer, but that is a very different than what foods you should prefer.

If a DNA test is involved, that seems like by default the app has to target a smaller, higher-end and more patient clientele than your typical consumer. A lot of people who are just trying to lose 10-20 pounds, eat better, and/or start a fitness plan want to get going right away.

Just the time involved waiting for test kits, sending them back out, lab work, analysis etc. means you are not going to get going on your new plan for a while. (Heck, even when I got our dog’s DNA tested it took weeks to get answers... And we were just looking for the most rudimentary data about its parents and grandparents, not trying to tailor a complete long-term health plan for him.)

As far as health apps go, my sense is that the most important thing is that people looking to eat better and lose weight benefit from using some app—almost any app—to track what they consume and how much exercise they’re getting. But it may not need to be more than basic.

What seems to matter most is that you are paying attention. The mere act of entering data on a regular basis makes a person more mindful of what they are putting into their bodies and how much physical activity they are getting in per day/week/month. It doesn’t really seem to matter much which app, but that you are using it daily (unless of course the app is garbage, providing inaccurate calorie counts or quack advice).

As such, since I have no plans to train for a competitive and strenuous sport, I can’t see spending more than the typical $10/month for the basic popular apps like LoseIt. But those with serious health issues or fitness goals may need/want more.

------------

* I actually do have a rare though not at all dangerous condition which my neurologist brother diagnosed for me. It can be verified via a DNA test, but is typically identified through its obscure symptoms. Nutrition has nothing to do with either its causes or its treatment. I just try to avoid using certain tools and machinery for more than 30 minutes at a time such as a reciprocating saw, because sustained vibrations can cause my body to produce a false (if light) allergic reaction. This mistaken reaction is due to a rare gene mutation.

Last edited:
Is there something proprietary in the wearable? I'm assuming yes, otherwise why go through the trouble of creating yet another one.

As 30-something healthy individuals who don't mind spending a few duckets on modern fitness trends, I would be hard pressed to buy yet another wearable or another mirror. I personally don't use any of them, but still get a bit irritated when I plateau my goals. My wife will try any new fitness app/program plopped in front of her or pimped on tiktok.

We have a Peloton, which we both use daily. We have a full cage and Rogue bars and plates. I can't imagine adding a smart mirror the setup, we simply don't need it.

If there was a standalone app that worked with existing wearables, then I'm sure my wife is your target audience. But this seems very late to the game to get a new mirror added to existing households, and most people who already care about this have their own wearable.

It seems like there's a good opportunity for tiers. DNA+realtime adjustments+nutrition would be a no-brainer 3-month trial for us. All of the other physical purchases - nah, we're flooded as it is.

This is the podcast…similar theme, but fake.

*edit…I honestly don’t know how I made it all the way to the end, which is really stupid (the beginning isn’t much better).

Just the time involved waiting for test kits, sending them back out, lab work, analysis etc. means you are not going to get going on your new plan for a while. (Heck, even when I got our dog’s DNA tested it took weeks to get answers... And we were just looking for the most rudimentary data about its parents and grandparents, not trying to tailor a complete long-term health plan for him.)
As we designed the system, this was one of our primary concerns. I'm happy to say that after working tireless hours on it, our DNA report will be delivered to your inbox within 48-72 hours of lab receipt of the sample, which is the fastest currently available service.

By the way, if anyone is interested in even seeing what their report might tell them, you can use my personal code KRISHONE at checkout -- it gives you 80% off, for just 20 bucks.

Is there something proprietary in the wearable? I'm assuming yes, otherwise why go through the trouble of creating yet another one.

As 30-something healthy individuals who don't mind spending a few duckets on modern fitness trends, I would be hard pressed to buy yet another wearable or another mirror. I personally don't use any of them, but still get a bit irritated when I plateau my goals. My wife will try any new fitness app/program plopped in front of her or pimped on tiktok.

We have a Peloton, which we both use daily. We have a full cage and Rogue bars and plates. I can't imagine adding a smart mirror the setup, we simply don't need it.

If there was a standalone app that worked with existing wearables, then I'm sure my wife is your target audience. But this seems very late to the game to get a new mirror added to existing households, and most people who already care about this have their own wearable.

It seems like there's a good opportunity for tiers. DNA+realtime adjustments+nutrition would be a no-brainer 3-month trial for us. All of the other physical purchases - nah, we're flooded as it is.

This is a very fair point. The issue with existing wearables is that even the deepest API access doesn't allow for the true activation of that data, and ultimately, from a business standpoint, the IP we're building in the connected ecosystem of biometric and DNA-based data is incredibly unique, and valuable.

In terms of total addressable market, we believe that all existing device-based competitors still only cover around 14% of the TAM, which leaves a lot of people who are potential customers. But I hear you on the notion that existing adopters will likely not want to have yet another device (wearable, or mirror-like) to deal with.

At some point, when we're at enough scale, releasing a hardware-less version is a possibility.

The company's overall vision is somewhat Trojan Horse'd -- what we really aspire to be is the world's first organized, end-to-end biohacking platform. We're starting with exercise and fitness, moving into nutrition, and then, given our output mechanisms (screen, app, store), the possibilities are endless.

Interesting. I hope it’s successful, not just as a money-making venture, but in delivering valuable results to your customers.

Interesting. I hope it’s successful, not just as a money-making venture, but in delivering valuable results to your customers.
For businesses where the entire value proposition is based on results, both go hand in hand. Do well by doing good. And I don't mean an altruistic type of good, I just mean delivering good value, consistently.

Fitness/health is unfortunately not like, say, clothing. Ultimately, the quality of the product in apparel is completely controlled by the company. There is no participatory element from the customer that changes the experience or quality of the product. In something like ours, where the will, motivation and drive of the customer is half the battle, it's harder to draw that distinction.

For businesses where the entire value proposition is based on results, both go hand in hand. Do well by doing good. And I don't mean an altruistic type of good, I just mean delivering good value, consistently.

Fitness/health is unfortunately not like, say, clothing. Ultimately, the quality of the product in apparel is completely controlled by the company. There is no participatory element from the customer that changes the experience or quality of the product. In something like ours, where the will, motivation and drive of the customer is half the battle, it's harder to draw that distinction.
There are many days I wished I sold a service people wanted and not a service I know they needed.

Way easier to sell a sexy pair of leggings than the lifestyle that makes them look actually attractive.

Looks like an interesting system. Is there an option for just the Signal device for the monitoring? And a phone app that will guide you through workouts?

As we designed the system, this was one of our primary concerns. I'm happy to say that after working tireless hours on it, our DNA report will be delivered to your inbox within 48-72 hours of lab receipt of the sample, which is the fastest currently available service.

By the way, if anyone is interested in even seeing what their report might tell them, you can use my personal code KRISHONE at checkout -- it gives you 80% off, for just 20 bucks.
Will that code work for the unit too? Because 3k is what I make a month. Lol.

Will that code work for the unit too? Because 3k is what I make a month. Lol.

I’d be happy to create a PCF code for the unit, if anyone decides they want it. This code is just for the initial DNA test.

Looks like an interesting system. Is there an option for just the Signal device for the monitoring? And a phone app that will guide you through workouts?

There currently is not. Maybe in the future.

Also curious if this mirror offers anything else from a tech perspective? If you choose to discontinue the service, do you just own a plain mirror?

Next funding round open to pcf so we can all get rich? Just think how much your chip investments will skyrocket

The company's overall vision is somewhat Trojan Horse'd -- what we really aspire to be is the world's first organized, end-to-end biohacking platform. We're starting with exercise and fitness, moving into nutrition, and then, given our output mechanisms (screen, app, store), the possibilities are endless.
This part is very fascinating to me. I’m not on top of how far the research has come, but I did take a good look at dormant gene activation about a decade ago. I expect that improving the gut microbiome will still be a much easier and faster way to get significant results for most end-users for years to come. But first-mover advantage in this field could be huge.

I don't understand this product at all to be honest.

"People are frustrated because they're told to work hard at all costs. A fitness culture says you need to work hard to get results, that the harder you work the better off you will be."

I think it sounds like this is promising me something that cannot possibly be true. How do you lose weight or build muscle without expanding effort and working hard at it? No matter what piece of fancy technology is on or around me, in my own experience, fitness involves hard work to achieve results.

I would be interested in a blood analysis that is relatively cheap, more reliable, and can inform me what I'm at risk at or markers that are elevated...etc. but you're competing with actual nutritionists and doctors who already offer these services everywhere.

I think the market you're targeting are people who are at polarized ends of the fitness spectrum. Either your target market is the larger individual with expendable income who wants to get results without putting in the effort, or you're going for the person who's already dialed in totally and wants those incremental gains or understanding of their bodies to a degree that would be considered extreme to most people.

I just don't understand how the 2-3,000 dollar device fits into this tbh, but I wish you well with the company and that it's a successful venture.

IMG_7233.png

Today on Tiktok @Windwalker

I don't understand this product at all to be honest.

"People are frustrated because they're told to work hard at all costs. A fitness culture says you need to work hard to get results, that the harder you work the better off you will be."

I think it sounds like this is promising me something that cannot possibly be true. How do you lose weight or build muscle without expanding effort and working hard at it? No matter what piece of fancy technology is on or around me, in my own experience, fitness involves hard work to achieve results.

I would be interested in a blood analysis that is relatively cheap, more reliable, and can inform me what I'm at risk at or markers that are elevated...etc. but you're competing with actual nutritionists and doctors who already offer these services everywhere.

I think the market you're targeting are people who are at polarized ends of the fitness spectrum. Either your target market is the larger individual with expendable income who wants to get results without putting in the effort, or you're going for the person who's already dialed in totally and wants those incremental gains or understanding of their bodies to a degree that would be considered extreme to most people.

I just don't understand how the 2-3,000 dollar device fits into this tbh, but I wish you well with the company and that it's a successful venture.

I think you misunderstood the product, or I didn’t do well in explaining it. The DNA test is just one input into a daily exercise plan that’s generated by the system for you. You have to workout most days, as per your customized plan. The exercises are delivered through our app, and displayed on the Screen that comes with the system.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom