New public hybrid mold from Tina 39mm (3 Viewers)

New public Hybrid mold

• Web

Votes: 103 66.5%
  • Palm trees

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Star

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • X

Votes: 24 15.5%
  • Cards Mold

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
Regarding colors, I believe Tina prints whatever you give her. I don’t think more recent colors looking better is because she is getting better at it… I think we (all of PCF) have adapted and have been better at designing mixes of CMYK that she is able to print.
I definitely have a few “duds” regarding color choices that came out really crappy, and I won’t use that mix again. Conversely, I also have a bunch of printed samples with known CMYK values that I keep repeating because I know they will print consistently well.
This is the reality that I have experienced, and that many others here who have purchased and designed chips from Tina have experienced.

"strong point" has not been my experience. Like you said, maybe my 2 separate orders previous to the newer molds (NGK, scrown, web) are the exception (see below).

I agree with this. Colors poppin everywhere. Color saturation has been very good for every chip and sample I've received (see below).

This I am sure is (or was) not a true statement. I spent the better part of 24 hours going back and forth with Tina about certain colors that I had submitted that they entirely refused to print. She sent me alternative color options based on other chips they had made. I was shocked that I not only couldn't get them to agree to print the chip color as submitted, but that they also wouldn't provide a PMS, CMYK, RGB, or any color chart that they would agree to print from. This was during my first large order.

Now, hopefully your statement is true at this point in time. For my current order I submitted my colors (not based on any current Tina, CPC, GPI chip colors for the most part), and she came back with what I think is a great color representation of what I submitted. The colors match much more closely to what I submitted this time.

So... that's where my thought that Tina colors are "improving" comes from. Once again, I am but a small fish in a big sea. I've ordered and received about 4000 Tina chips up to this point, so it's definitely a smaller sample size.
I already said it once in a previous post. I don't think anyone here is questioning or doubting what your experience was. Only trying to state that it is not the majority experience.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish by dragging this out? You have given a fair warning to those who have no experience with Tina. Other's of us have given an alternate viewpoint. At this point, you're just arguing for argument's sake. It's not like we're ordering $8 a chip Tigers here. We all understand that these are lower, entry level or budget level chips. Anyone buying these should set their expectations accordingly. And having said all that, I still feel that these chips are a tremendous value for what they cost!

Those look great! Anyone have a weight on these, not that it matters that much just curious.
Those Sunset Beach chips are so hot!

Adam Sandler GIF

This I am sure is (or was) not a true statement. I spent the better part of 24 hours going back and forth with Tina about certain colors that I had submitted that they entirely refused to print. She sent me alternative color options based on other chips they had made. I was shocked that I not only couldn't get them to agree to print the chip color as submitted, but that they also wouldn't provide a PMS, CMYK, RGB, or any color chart that they would agree to print from. This was during my first large order.

Now, hopefully your statement is true at this point in time. For my current order I submitted my colors (not based on any current Tina, CPC, GPI chip colors for the most part), and she came back with what I think is a great color representation of what I submitted. The colors match much more closely to what I submitted this time.

So... that's where my thought that Tina colors are "improving" comes from. Once again, I am but a small fish in a big sea. I've ordered and received about 4000 Tina chips up to this point, so it's definitely a smaller sample size.
The back and forth you had with her is generally not how a printer does business with a customer. The customer can provide a color that the printer can attempt to match, but there's never a guarantee. If the printer feels that their equipment is incapable of printing a customer's sample, they may refuse to try. For example, trying to match a neon color with a CMYK printer isnt going to happen, and a printer wont even attempt.

It's also not up to a printer to provide a customer with a color chart of colors they can do. It's up to the designer to have the knowledge of which colors will work and which will not in their projects, keeping the printing system (PMS spot color, CMYK, etc) in mind. I do know Tina provided a PMS color chart early on which is complete nonsense...because she doesn't print using Pantone inks.

It's my guess (without any confirmation) that Tina is using a 6-color system. It uses CMYK plus an additional light cyan and a light magenta. So providing her with art that uses the PMS, CMYK or RGB colorspace will produce inconsistencies between what you see onscreen, what you may have printed in CMYK in the past, and what she is producing.

This has all been trial-and-error for me as a designer. Some colors that I have had printed from CMYK for years don't print the same way when Tina does them...and yet some colors are extremely close. That's why I have come to believe she is possibly using a 6-color printer to make her dye-sub sheets.
What I have learned through a number of group buys with different sets is that there are certain colors that she does quite accurately to the CMYK art I am providing, and some are unexpected. I'm also learning which colors to steer away from, as they are insonsistent enough to not be worth the headache.

So, I'm more content with Tina colors lately not because of what she is doing or not doing, but because I have learned to adapt to the limitations of what she can do consistently.

This is the reality that I have experienced, and that many others here who have purchased and designed chips from Tina have experienced.

I already said it once in a previous post. I don't think anyone here is questioning or doubting what your experience was. Only trying to state that it is not the majority experience.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish by dragging this out? You have given a fair warning to those who have no experience with Tina. Other's of us have given an alternate viewpoint. At this point, you're just arguing for argument's sake. It's not like we're ordering $8 a chip Tigers here. We all understand that these are lower, entry level or budget level chips. Anyone buying these should set their expectations accordingly. And having said all that, I still feel that these chips are a tremendous value for what they cost!
Not arguing at all. I was pointing out the difference between colors being a strong point of hers, and colors popping. Just ensuring that we understand that this is two different things.

I agree. The value is awesome for the cost regardless.

The back and forth you had with her is generally not how a printer does business with a customer. The customer can provide a color that the printer can attempt to match, but there's never a guarantee. If the printer feels that their equipment is incapable of printing a customer's sample, they may refuse to try. For example, trying to match a neon color with a CMYK printer isnt going to happen, and a printer wont even attempt.

It's also not up to a printer to provide a customer with a color chart of colors they can do. It's up to the designer to have the knowledge of which colors will work and which will not in their projects, keeping the printing system (PMS spot color, CMYK, etc) in mind. I do know Tina provided a PMS color chart early on which is complete nonsense...because she doesn't print using Pantone inks.

It's my guess (without any confirmation) that Tina is using a 6-color system. It uses CMYK plus an additional light cyan and a light magenta. So providing her with art that uses the PMS, CMYK or RGB colorspace will produce inconsistencies between what you see onscreen, what you may have printed in CMYK in the past, and what she is producing.

This has all been trial-and-error for me as a designer. Some colors that I have had printed from CMYK for years don't print the same way when Tina does them...and yet some colors are extremely close. That's why I have come to believe she is possibly using a 6-color printer to make her dye-sub sheets.
What I have learned through a number of group buys with different sets is that there are certain colors that she does quite accurately to the CMYK art I am providing, and some are unexpected. I'm also learning which colors to steer away from, as they are insonsistent enough to not be worth the headache.

So, I'm more content with Tina colors lately not because of what she is doing or not doing, but because I have learned to adapt to the limitations of what she can do consistently.
I agree with this entirely.

I too have read somewhere on here that she uses a 6-color printer which allows her colors to be more saturated than a 4-color printer.

I probably took your statement incorrectly when you stated that she prints what you send her. I thought you meant that she doesn’t attempt to change the colors on her end to match my intended color… which is exactly what she did on my first large order. Since then I believe you may be right that she prints as-is.

Cheers.

I have a layered Illustrator file that you could use for mockups (not final art). If you have Illustrator, you can swap out the base chip or the label.
That goes for anyone else...PM me and I'll provide you with a link to the file.
View attachment 1267847
Do you mind sending me this file? My account is new and I am not able to PM you quite yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom