New Tina Hybrid 43mm Web Mold Interest (2 Viewers)

If available, would you order a set of 43mm hybrid web mold chips in the next 3 months?

• Yes, I'm ready to order as soon as this mold is available

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Yes, I will get my artwork ready and order in the next 1-3 months

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Maybe, but it would be later than 3 months

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Meh, I'd order if it was a different mold or specs

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • No, not interested in this mold or chip specs

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other: [leave a comment]

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

MrRossKeys

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: Tina has agreed to create this mold and include it as an option for anyone to order in 2024!
——————
Original post:

I have another thread discussing my desire to create a 43mm hybrid chip with a new mold and (larger than 25mm) inlay sticker. Tina is interested in finding out how many people here would be interested in the chip I'm hoping to make.

Instead of creating my own new mold, Tina and I are discussing the possibility of using @SeanGecko 's exact mold but changing the specs as follows:
  • 43mm chip instead of 39mm
  • Same web mold design as the 39mm chip but scaled appropriately for the 43mm chip
  • Up to 28mm inlay sticker (with 28.5mm recess to allow proper sticker seating)
  • Textured chip (like the scrown mold and less like the cards mold chips)
My hope is that, if there is enough interest, Tina will offer this mold for free just like to 39mm mold. If there isn't, I have a feeling they'll charge me to create the new mold, and that will drive the price-per-chip higher.

Any takers?

Last edited:
I may be interested if this gets done and pending how samples feel. May go with this over the MGK mold depending. Mark me down as potentially interested.

If available, I’d probably be interested, but only for higher denominations, so not many.

Very interested. I was hoping Sean would go with a larger label size on the 39mm, but since he did not, I could probably be convinced to go with 43mm and 28mm label.

What label art were you thinking? potentially interested.
Like the others have said, you have 2 options:
1. Create custom artwork
2. Use artwork that other members have created and give permission to use (free or pay their fee to use).

If you have a design you'd like to mimic or alter I can typically help out. If it's something intricate you'll want to commission the graphic designers on this forum.

Very interested. I was hoping Sean would go with a larger label size on the 39mm, but since he did not, I could probably be convinced to go with 43mm and 28mm label.
I personally like the 25.4mm label on a 39mm.... but I am in love with the 43mm size since playing a tourney @BarrieJ3 hosted :love:.

To me a 24mm label on a 43mm chip is just way too small, especially if (like in my case) the artwork is intricate and more graphics driven.

I’d like to have samples in hand before committing.
@MrRossKeys I'm in this camp also. Which I know doesn't help you one bit in regards to getting the mold made.

My reasons are concerns not about the mold, but about the chip itself. On paper, I LOVED the greek key mold hybrid. But after handling both those chips, and the small crown chips that Danny had done, I find that the scrown is clearly a superior chip. It's a tiny bit thicker and the edges are a bit sharper. So unless Tina can make some promises about the final chip, I can't really commit sight unseen. But if I am happy with it, I'm probably down for 2500-3000 chips.

@MrRossKeys I'm in this camp also. Which I know doesn't help you one bit in regards to getting the mold made.

My reasons are concerns not about the mold, but about the chip itself. On paper, I LOVED the greek key mold hybrid. But after handling both those chips, and the small crown chips that Danny had done, I find that the scrown is clearly a superior chip. It's a tiny bit thicker and the edges are a bit sharper. So unless Tina can make some promises about the final chip, I can't really commit sight unseen. But if I am happy with it, I'm probably down for 2500-3000 chips.
Thanks for the detailed response.

I have a sample of the scrown chips (River Rat) and they are in my opinion clearly superior to all the other ceramics from Tina. I also have no mold 39mm and Cards mold 43mm to compare, and the scrown chips feel like a totally different and superior chip material.

I haven't handled the greek key hybrids yet, but I know I like the way they look in the photos. I assumed they were the same chip texture as the scrown chips... but you're saying they are different?

This leads me to ask, how many different chip materials is Tina using? I asked her if there is a difference between chip material used with cards mold and s-crown mold. I was told the following:
"they are same... but s~scrown mold, surface have texture... cards mold surface, little texture. so u feel different."

Hopefully Tina will agree to make this mold without charging for the mold. If so, I have a fully created and ready order of 2,000 chips, and I'd be willing to order a bunch extra for samples to send to anyone who wants them.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I have a sample of the scrown chips (River Rat) and they are in my opinion clearly superior to all the other ceramics from Tina. I also have no mold 39mm and Cards mold 43mm to compare, and the scrown chips feel like a totally different and superior chip material.

I haven't handled the greek key hybrids yet, but I know I like the way they look in the photos. I assumed they were the same chip texture as the scrown chips... but you're saying they are different?

This leads me to ask, how many different chip materials is Tina using? I asked her if there is a difference between chip material used with cards mold and s-crown mold. I was told the following:
"they are same... but s~scrown mold, surface have texture... cards mold surface, little texture. so u feel different."
I think this is correct. Materials are the same, but the differences come from how the mold is made.
  • Adding texture to the surface of the chip's faces is very nice. Both the scrown and the GK have this extra texture that the cards mold chips didn't have as much of.
  • Microscopic differences in the thickness and the width of the chips. A barrel of cards mold chips were about 65.5mm high. The Greek hybrids are a little more than that, but the S-crowns are a little bit more and it's noticeable when you have 20 chips next to each other. I'll try to find the post where @Himewad measured several different barrels. His River Rats are very close to the height of a barrel of mint Paulsons. (66.7mm)
  • HERE - another post from @Himewad The S-crowns are also a little wider.
  • And I also think the S-crowns are clearly sharper on the edges that the GKs.
All these things add up to a better feeling chip. So much better that if you can get Tina to understand these differences, and take the care needed when creating the molds to produce another superior chip (like the S-crown) then she will sell hundreds of thousands of them. I'm so impressed with the S-crown chip that I am seriously considering shelving a CPC project in preference to these if we can get it all right.

Totally agree with @TX_Golf_N_Poker. He found the words I could not.

I think samples are important and I hope that can happen.

Is this the only time a GB will be offered for this mold? Or is this something that Tina will just have available like the cards mold and if you want 1000 chips you need to find a way to order from her? I think we are all a little spoiled by Justin continuously doing GBs for cards mold and Greek molds etc.

@MrRossKeys....On paper, I LOVED the greek key mold hybrid. But after handling both those chips, and the small crown chips that Danny had done, I find that the scrown is clearly a superior chip. It's a tiny bit thicker and the edges are a bit sharper. So unless Tina can make some promises about the final chip.....
Idk about anything that is clear. They are very similar other than the actual impression of the mold.
.....I have a sample of the scrown chips (River Rat) and they are in my opinion clearly superior to all the other ceramics from Tina.........I haven't handled the greek key hybrids yet, but I know I like the way they look in the photos. I assumed they were the same chip texture as the scrown chips... but you're saying they are different?
They are not different.

I'll take some high resolution close up pics so everyone can see. I have samples of both and they are both excellent.

I prefer the greek over the scrown simply because of the printing differences between the larger shapes in the mold versus thin shapes.

Is this the only time a GB will be offered for this mold? Or is this something that Tina will just have available like the cards mold and if you want 1000 chips you need to find a way to order from her? I think we are all a little spoiled by Justin continuously doing GBs for cards mold and Greek molds etc.
The answer to this totally depends on whether or not Tina charges for this mold or includes it with Sean's "free" mold offering. I've gotten some responses from her just now, but I have to respond and validate that I understand what she is saying (translation isn't always clear).

If this mold is open to the public then I would run the first group buy for people interested in submitting their orders within the next 30 days or so. Any future group buys would be run by me or anyone on the forum who wants to run them. Justin, Sean, or anyone could run them because the mold is always available.

Alternatively, if the mold is a paid mold, then myself (or someone I give authorization to) would need to be contacted to place an order. This is way I prefer (and appreciate) Sean's suggestion of making the same mold he's already making.

I doubt I'd run group buys as often as Justin (bandwidth) so I am hoping Tina produces this mold with Sean's.

I think this is correct. Materials are the same, but the differences come from how the mold is made.
  • Adding texture to the surface of the chip's faces is very nice. Both the scrown and the GK have this extra texture that the cards mold chips didn't have as much of.
  • Microscopic differences in the thickness and the width of the chips. A barrel of cards mold chips were about 65.5mm high. The Greek hybrids are a little more than that, but the S-crowns are a little bit more and it's noticeable when you have 20 chips next to each other. I'll try to find the post where @Himewad measured several different barrels. His River Rats are very close to the height of a barrel of mint Paulsons. (66.7mm)
  • HERE - another post from @Himewad The S-crowns are also a little wider.
  • And I also think the S-crowns are clearly sharper on the edges that the GKs.
All these things add up to a better feeling chip. So much better that if you can get Tina to understand these differences, and take the care needed when creating the molds to produce another superior chip (like the S-crown) then she will sell hundreds of thousands of them. I'm so impressed with the S-crown chip that I am seriously considering shelving a CPC project in preference to these if we can get it all right.
:tup: :tup: :tup:
I'll do my best to convey this, language barrier and all.

Idk about anything that is clear. They are very similar other than the actual impression of the mold.
Are you saying that you disagree that the scrowns are slightly thicker, slightly wider and slightly sharper? I only have 6 scrowns and 7 greek molds, but this is absolutely the case in my small sample size. And I'm not the only one saying it. The differences are subtle, but clearly noticeable and certainly measurable. The dimension differences also affect the weight of the chips. GKs - under 9 grams each. SCs over 9 grams. Six of each shown below.

20231204_190408.jpg

20231204_190423.jpg

These are the potential specs based on Tina's response:
web mold info2.png

She said they are willing to open a new public mold every year. It sounds like they are open to grouping this chip offering with Sean's 39mm offering. Will probably come down to the number of orders I can drum up.

Maybe we'll have to wait to receive the 39mm chips to use as samples to estimate what the 43mm will look/feel like.... or maybe we'll get lucky and they open these orders at the same time (so that I can order samples right away).

I agree that the Scrown samples I have feel better than the Greek samples I have, though I don't have enough experience with chips in general to readily articulate what factors are the cause of that. As a machinist, however, I can certainly take some high accuracy and high precision measurements of the samples I have of each now that you've made some hypotheses about what those factors are.

Are you saying that you disagree that the scrowns are slightly thicker, slightly wider and slightly sharper? I only have 6 scrowns and 7 greek molds, but this is absolutely the case in my small sample size. And I'm not the only one saying it. The differences are subtle......
nope. You are right that there are some very small subtle differences

I read this:
....after handling both those chips, and the small crown chips that Danny had done, I find that the scrown is clearly a superior chip......

Thicker or thinner or bigger or smaller. Heavier or lighter by <1% isn't a CLEAR advantage or disadvantage in my mind.

Last edited:
Tina has agreed to make this mold if I organize a group buy. Looks like this thing is going to happen. I've requested a sample first, so we'll see how long that takes....

(She also communicated that if we get Daniel's permission that we could commission the s-crown 43mm option. I won't pursue this because I'm pushing for the web mold with the same textured chip as the s-crown, and because I believe Daniel may be from another poker chip forum... I'll let someone else take the lead on that. )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom