Let's play a game: Exquisite corpse (2 Viewers)

binoclard

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Exquisite corpse ("cadavre exquis") is a game/technique developed by the surrealists, in which each participant draw (or write) something on a sheet, fold it and pass it to the next person, who draws something else, etc. It was seen as a fun and playful way to develop new thoughts through bizarre associations, unblock the creative process, and use the experiments as a kickstarter. Try it with kids, it is the best way to come with awesome drawings of monsters with three shark heads, tentacles and robot arms.

Anyway… back to poker chips. I propose, as an experiment, to try and collectively design sets, but only one chip after the other, each one by another person, and without going back to change anything. The goal is to embrace the chips created by the precedents players, allow surprise and experiment, but to create a coherent set nonetheless. Colours, spots progression, etc are decided with the precedent chips in mind. Go with the flow, let's be surprised, allow "taboo" combos that speak to you but work well with the set, etc.

The rules:
- 5 chips CPC cash set
- one chip per person
- the whole set is posted as a picture at each round
- no denom duplicates (if somebody else is quicker and post before you… too bad)
- cohesive/coherent, with a small argument to defend your chip, what works and why

Example: I design a first chip, post the picture, share the link to the set. Next player creates the second one, save as #2, post the picture, share the link to the set. And so on.

Game? If it catches up, I'll go and try to design an inlay for the next sets.

I'll go first:

http://pokerchipdesigntool.com/?imp_sets=bkNLWi6I

Exquisite-Corpse-1.png

Really? I am not sure I would trust the process enough to obtain a set so good that I would order it as it is. :LOL: :laugh:

So just to be clear, I am absolutely not talking about "design by committee" that is the best way to end up with tepid crap. No consensus, no back and forth, no going back to take further chips in consideration, the goal is really to just design the next one that you think would fit, try things, and let be surprised by what the next players will come up with. And move on to the next set.

It is a quick fix to get the creative juice flowing, and perhaps consider ideas you would not have if you were designing "your" entire set.

Let's go!

http://pokerchipdesigntool.com/?imp_sets=cEbiG6CQ

1692704103240.png

Very fun idea. Might want to define denoms in the future. I went with yellow so it could be a $1 or a $5 with the previous two chips.

This is not a chip I would otherwise ever have thought of and doubt I would ever put together again but in trying to make something flow from the previous two, this just came to me.

Awesome! Yeah I did not specify denoms to avoid the crushing weight of traditions regarding colours, as I personally do not carte that much, and for the exercise I think it might be too much of a constraint.

But yes, we could totally have rules defined by the first player for the next ones (.25 - 100 - Cali colours / 1 - 500 Vegas / Whatever, etc)

Excellent, I did not know CPC challenges were a thing, thanks!

It is interesting, quite the opposite of this thread, to see the variation of designs started from the same sets of rules/constraints.

http://pokerchipdesigntool.com/?imp_sets=kKwGurvB

Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 5.16.31 AM.png

We follow the lead of the third chip, which introduced some dissonance, both in the difference in spots and inlay indentations and a deviation in color. Thus we use regular pink and orange, not Dayglo. But we continue to grow in spot complexity and maintain the vibrant contrasting colors.

---

This is also not a chip that I would have designed. Fun experiment.

http://pokerchipdesigntool.com/?imp_sets=kKwGurvB

View attachment 1183669

We follow the lead of the third chip, which introduced some dissonance, both in the difference in spots and inlay indentations and a deviation in color. Thus we use regular pink and orange, not Dayglo. But we continue to grow in spot complexity and maintain the vibrant contrasting colors.

---

This is also not a chip that I would have designed. Fun experiment.

I am curious to look if I can find a real example of an orange+green+pink spots chips. Super weird but interesting effect!

I like this as a challenge. It would be fun to set some guidelines with the first chip, tournament vs cash and how many chips. Denoms are also fun it is a lot harder to design a 8 chip set for example!

Deal! First poster of each new terrific Exquisite corpse ® set gets to set a few rules, number of chips, denoms, colours guidelines to follow strictly or not, cash vs tournament, etc and whatever he might think of relevant.

I need to open a business that sells custom sets to rich chippers, so I could make them without having to worry about my hypothetical future pension fund.

OP, do you have any completed designed chips we can see?

OP, do you have any completed designed chips we can see?
Wow, cross-thread quote! Nope, not yet. Patiently working on accumulating knowledge, refining my tastes, trying a ton of weird mockups while working on several themes and inlay layouts. Soon, I hope.

Both the Empress Star primary tournament and the Aurora Star tournament sets were designed by committees. I would not describe either one in that fashion.
Really?
Sorry, "tepid crap" is a bit of a rhetorical exaggeration. My own experience in my design job is that as soon as you have to listen to several people opinions and accommodate different tastes, the inherent subjectivity in any creation subject almost always leads to a somewhat consensuel and "less interesting" result. Not bad per se, but perhaps not as good as it could have been.
Imho, the AS inlay is a good example then. Not terrible, not great either. Works.

Happy to see the enthusiasm!

Nice premise. Here is my contribution for the $5. Keep the 18 spots, use the yellow of the $2 spot as the base, a nice Imp Blue to make it pop and have a contrast, and DG Yellow to make the two chips optically in the same category.

http://pokerchipdesigntool.com/?imp_sets=OMVde4e9
Exquisite-Corpse-2.png

Honest naive question: why so many small denoms? 50c 1 2? Feels like the 1 is redundant. Or is it to accommodate games I have no ideas of?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom