Jason Mercier Bracelet Bet vs. Vanessa Selbst (3 Viewers)

I actually have a couple of horses in the Seniors event, courtesy of a WSOP league.

They start playing with 16 at 2:00 p.m. today, Las Vegas time, but they won't start streaming until they reach the final table (8 or 9 players). The stream is on a 30-minute delay, so if they reach the FT at 7:00 LV time, the stream would start at around 10:30 eastern. The good news for people who actually sleep at night is that WSOP archives the streams. Each one is available 3-4 days after the broadcast.

I actually lie in bed with headphones on and watch these. Lolsleep

Sleep is overrated. ;)

I watch/listen for a while, until I fall asleep, and then check the updates tab the next morning to find out who won. Last year I woke up just in time to see the last two hands of one of the broadcasts (don't recall which one).

Gotta bust 4 more players and then the final table. Jason's got 17 big bets right now at the 25k/50k level. GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!

I actually have a couple of horses in the Seniors event, courtesy of a WSOP league.

Same here, not in the senior event I mean just some people that have played or are still to play and I have a tiny piece of them because of a league. I really like it, I missed going by three or four spots but to still have a sweat is AWESOME. Three have played and one guy cashed, it was cool to see him make it into the money because he's a real good guy ( everybody in the league is real good guys, feel fortunate to be in it) but also because I won a small amount of money from the WSOP. :D Very cool in my book and until I play my first event and take it down this feeling will do just fine. :D

Thanks. I've got the stream up but it's highlights of NLHE. Trying to make sure I'm not staring at the wrong page or something.

You're good. There are 10 players left. As of the most recent update, Eli Elezra had 95,000 chips, approximately 1.5 big bets. When one more player busts, they'll start taping the final table. The stream is on a 30-minute delay, and the commentators are watching the same stream that we are.

So, I've put myself in the middle of this ridiculous bet. If I were Vanessa, what would my options be...?

1) Sell as much of the bet as possible. This would mean I'm completely upside down no matter what.
2) Offer a very substantial bounty reward to select tournament opponents, should they knock Jason out. Probably unethical, highly questionable and definitely bad-business.
3) Simply enter every tournament Jason enters with the goal of controlling the chip flow. This is also questionable behavior.

With $2m on the line, where is the line? Do these prop bets cloud the water and endanger tournament integrity. Are they actually legal and enforceable?

Your thoughts...

Not enforceable, will just tarnish her name if she doesn't pay. But think that was discussed earlier in the thread. She also sold off a major piece of the action, also discussed earlier in the thread.

@jbutler

Serious question. If you're drunk, can you (legally) enter a binding contract (bet) with someone? Or is "legally binding" not really the issue here?

I'm not being a smart ass, genuinely curious.

Quick non-boring (but also obv non-exhaustive) answer: no if the other party was aware you were drunk, but if the complaining party had a regular practice of entering into and collecting or paying off bets made while drunk then that past practice could be deemed a waiver.

It's a great day when you get two likes from jbutler in one day. Okay one comment was weeks old and the other happened after midnight but still within the 24 hour period. I can go to bed a happy man.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom