I Quit My Job To Play Poker AMA (2 Viewers)

Here's my graph by session since I started in September of last year. not giving specific profit numbers but I definetly like the direction it's been moving lately

January was a much swingier month for me, went on tilt one day and made two bad call downs, and then another day I decided I wasn't content with breaking even and took a gamble I normally wouldn't against an aggro player because I decided I "wasn't going to be pushed around"

These deviations from my normal approach cost me around $1500 in January, but I'm glad I recognized them and I'm making adjustments to avoid doing it again

My uptick started near the end of January where I pulled out of a 4k downswing and turned a profit, and February has been similar to December, where I have made more than my monthly nut in the first week of action, so anything else is just cream :)

View attachment 405722
That looks like a chart of my blood pressure this week.

Are you following the Galfond Challenge and are you going to start a Martino Challenge?

;)

The Martino Challenge would be me convincing my local rooms to spread 10-handed PLO instead of 9-handed so I get one additional hand before I have to pay the blinds #NitThingz

I have been watching that video you posted a while back. That call by THE Wolf at an hour and 28 minutes in is the worst call I have ever seen. In an 85,000 Euro pot. Holy shit. He calls an all-in with TPTK. In PLO. God bless people like him.

I have been watching that video you posted a while back. That call by THE Wolf at an hour and 28 minutes in is the worst call I have ever seen. In an 85,000 Euro pot. Holy shit. He calls an all-in with TPTK. In PLO. God bless people like him.

He is SO good for the game

So a little update:

First 2 weeks of February were amazing, didn't lose a single session and by the 11th was up over 6k on the month

The next two weeks were mostly terrible. While I didn't lose every session, my losses far exceeded my gains, seeing me go on a 9k downswing.

Get it in 4 ways with aces in plo, lose to the one player who covered and tried to stack off with T886 one suit

Get a guy to call off half his stack pre with 6543 when I had AAQ5 ds and flop comes 667. Playing badugi and start with a perfect three A23 and whiff all my draws, lose to the guy drawing 3, etc

Wasn't all bad beats, had some blockers and thought a guy was stealing on the turn when he had the nuts, I had redraw to beat him and was committed at that point, but was $750 I didn't have to lose

But my losing sessions were -2k to 3k compared with wins under 1k.

It was good for me in a way, those hits would generally affect me more than I'd like, but at some point I became numb to them, variance is there and I need to accept it

Thursday I lost 2k while my wife let me know her recent dental work was hurting plus one of our cats had an irritated eye

Friday we got her into the dentist early and it was a quicker fix than expected plus they saw her earlier than our appointment

Plus the cats eye cleared up, so instead of missing Friday I was able to play, turning $500 into $2,337 in the 1/2 PLO game

I've decided to change up a few things. Going to skip the mix games for a bit, variance is higher in draw games and I need a break

Also going to try and focus on the $500 buyin 1/2 PLO as it's much softer than the 2/5/10.

Adjusted my daily loss limit from 3k to 2k, I can handle that much better mentally

Anyway, still down for Feb so expecting to post my first losing month since I started, but have todays session to close the gap

Also signing up for a gym at the start of March, want to get on a regular workout schedule

In addition, recently started training with a voiceover coach and delving into that, always been something I wanted to explore

It was good for me in a way, those hits would generally affect me more than I'd like, but at some point I became numb to them, variance is there and I need to accept it

:cool

DEDF4C27-2304-4C83-9333-E1F09E4406DA.jpeg

Nah man, Saturday I turned a -500 session into a +$32 one, I'm a winner!

Posted my first losing month since I started, but fortunately it was under 2k so in the grand scheme of numbers not devastating.

What's nice is the 1/2 PLO has been very good lately and running constantly. I wake up pretty early and check the Bravo app and find it's run overnight quite often and still going at 5 or 6am!

Anthony, I’m feeling like you’re hitting the hard part of this job.
I don’t know you and I strongly suspect we wouldn’t even get along, but I’m pulling for you, man: better luck in March!

Rooting for you brother! I agree that your "away from poker" activities, fitness routine, diet, relationships, etc, will allow you to play better (be in the right mindset). Roller-skating? huh, i would have never guessed that.

Posted my first losing month since I started, but fortunately it was under 2k so in the grand scheme of numbers not devastating.

What's nice is the 1/2 PLO has been very good lately and running constantly. I wake up pretty early and check the Bravo app and find it's run overnight quite often and still going at 5 or 6am!
Getting to a game in the very early morning is a great way to get an edge on the table. Everyone else is tired, starting to make mistakes and the stacks are deep

Anthony, I’m feeling like you’re hitting the hard part of this job.
I don’t know you and I strongly suspect we wouldn’t even get along, but I’m pulling for you, man: better luck in March!

I've had other big losing sessions, but certainly not the successive big swings I encountered clustered together.

It all started right after one guy raised 6543 in PLO, then facing an all-in and my limp repot for half my stack, called off half his own stack, and the 667 flop looked perfect to my AAxx and then it was downhill from there, none of my draws would come in, my opponents would hit their draws, etc

Rooting for you brother! I agree that your "away from poker" activities, fitness routine, diet, relationships, etc, will allow you to play better (be in the right mindset). Roller-skating? huh, i would have never guessed that.

I started going to a local rink to play laser tag when I was 15, and wound up getting hooked on skating and became a rink rat

Fun fact, I was a ref for a ladies roller derby league in my mid to late 30's when we lived in Connecticut. I was an outside pack ref because I'm fast and have to skate harder than the ladies to keep up with them because my track is longer

Getting to a game in the very early morning is a great way to get an edge on the table. Everyone else is tired, starting to make mistakes and the stacks are deep

Yes indeed, I've taken advantage of this a few times, as I tend to wake up early. But if I call the room and it's only 5 handed I tend to skip it because it will take me over an hour getting ready and getting there, I don't like short-handed play and the game could break and then I've gotta wait hours for PLO to startup later in the day

I don’t know you and I strongly suspect we wouldn’t even get along, but I’m pulling for you, man
I mean, it's not often I meet someone close to or as loud as me, but past his shenanigans I enjoyed playing with Anthony. Doesn't hurt that he is literally a baby Costanza. Enjoyable dude.

I’m just giving you shit, because I like you. You’ve got balls to even make the attempt to go pro. I think you’ve got what it takes to succeed.

I think it’s wise to play more in the softer games where you are more likely to score vs going for the bigger score. Keep it going.

I’m just giving you shit, because I like you. You’ve got balls to even make the attempt to go pro. I think you’ve got what it takes to succeed.

I think it’s wise to play more in the softer games where you are more likely to score vs going for the bigger score. Keep it going.

It's funny because the stakes aren't what's important to me, making money is.

Some of the pros in the 2/5/10 can't get past their pride and won't play the 1/2, gotta keep up appearances I guess. But if the game is a nitfest and you'd kill the softer game, seems like the right move to me.

It's funny because the stakes aren't what's important to me, making money is.

Some of the pros in the 2/5/10 can't get past their pride and won't play the 1/2, gotta keep up appearances I guess. But if the game is a nitfest and you'd kill the softer game, seems like the right move to me.
Joey Knish would approve.

C009530E-525B-4A7B-AF66-0D0667EA0E2B.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom