How long to you have to live somewhere..... (1 Viewer)

fish72s

Flush
Reaction score
....before you can say you have lived there?

I spent 8 months of this year living out in Colorado and its fair to say that I lived in Colorado.

In '99 I took a temporary assignment for work in Silicon Valley. That was 5 months and I tell people I lived there.

After my first senior year in college I drove out to Seattle and spent the summer there. I think it was 3 months.
I tell people I lived in Seattle. (Am I wrong? )

I went to a week-long conference in London but I don't say I lived in London.

So how long do you have to live somewhere before you can say you lived there?

(The consensus will be binding and I will be staying in Mexico until I have lived in Mexico:)

I'd guess it's somewhere between 2-3 months. I think you can accurately say you lived in Mexico for a month, but not sure you can accurately claim you lived in Mexico (without the disclaimer). Probably the same for two months, but a three month stint seems signicant to me.

Best indicator is if your mailing address was changed to that location, or if you received any chip shipments there.

As far as legally most states use 6 months as the measuring stick.
Except when they don't. :( The six month rule generally has to do with residency for state tax purposes. When it comes to things like titling vehicles and changing your driver license 30-60 days is the norm and they're usually pretty strict. Ohio's a bit weird in that respect, there's no statutory deadline but the courts have settled on 30 days being about the limit. The law essentially says that once you do the things people normally do when moving to a new state, e.g. buying a house/signing a lease, establishing utilities, enrolling the kids in school, registering to vote, you're a resident and need a new license.

When buying handguns from a licensed dealer one may only do so within their state of residence and there's no minimum period of time there either. The ATF has said that if you move to a new state you can buy a handgun on your old state's unexpired ID so long as you have certain other documents that establish your residency in the new state.

Now, if we're talking socially, when does one live somewhere? I'd say as soon as you bed down somewhere other than a regular hotel and you're there for a specific purpose like school or work. A month would probably do it.

I think it has more to do with you living situation. Did you have an apartment or were you staying in a motel? Did you intend to stay? Did you have all of your things with you?

I think it means did you really live there or merely a place you dropped your bags for a few months. In other words did you get out and see the sights, make friends and learn a little local history? The legal stuff is all besides the point completely. It is about the experience.
You can spend 2 to 4 months in a new place for temporary site work and whether you lived there or not depends entirely on how you spent your time. It's your own judgment call.

I think it has more to do with you living situation. Did you have an apartment or were you staying in a motel? Did you intend to stay? Did you have all of your things with you?

This is the measuring stick I first thought of, but then I considered @slisk250 . He obviously lives in the desert, but that is not where he gets chip shipments (for multiple obvious reasons), so it is unequivocally not where his stuff is.

So I'm going to boil it down to the term "living".

To me living is more than existing in a space, breathing the air. It is experiencing the area to the best of your ability. It is knowing the best places for food - not the place on Yelp, but the hole-in-the-wall place. It's back-road short-cuts, and knowing where you should go for entertainment - whatever form that may take.

To me, that is living. Anything else is just existing.

This is the measuring stick I first thought of, but then I considered @slisk250 . He obviously lives in the desert, but that is not where he gets chip shipments (for multiple obvious reasons), so it is unequivocally not where his stuff is.

So I'm going to boil it down to the term "living".

To me living is more than existing in a space, breathing the air. It is experiencing the area to the best of your ability. It is knowing the best places for food - not the place on Yelp, but the hole-in-the-wall place. It's back-road short-cuts, and knowing where you should go for entertainment - whatever form that may take.

To me, that is living. Anything else is just existing.
Great points. My initial thought was 3 months but what you say here makes much more sense to me.

I think if you have received any mail with an address and your name on it, you’ve lived there.

For two years, my wife “lived” with me but didn’t receive mail there.

So technically, she didn’t live there lol

@Tracy

I always figured "living together" was official as soon as you kept items in the other person's house that they had absolutely no use for (toothbrush, feminine hygiene products, selection of clothes).

In Maryland, you need an eviction notice to get rid of someone after they have been in a place 10 days I think.

So by that definition, if you’ve spent 10 nights somewhere in MD consecutively then you live there.

In Maryland, you need an eviction notice to get rid of someone after they have been in a place 10 days I think.

So by that definition, if you’ve spent 10 nights somewhere in MD consecutively then you live there.

Has no-one ever taken a 2 week vacation in Baltimore?

Thanks all for the comments.
I just got another month so it looks like I'm staying at least 3 months:)
Biggest question now is whether I am going to make it to the Melee next month....

Next question is how long to you have to live somewhere
before you have to change the Location on your PCF profile?

Next question is how long to you have to live somewhere
before you have to change the Location on your PCF profile?

With all the PCF chickenshits who only say "United States" or otherwise dodge the question, what difference does it make? :eek:

Bump.
Note my profile flag will be green, white and red for the next few months:)
Anyone want to guess where?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom