How late is too late to respond to a PM? Finish a transaction? (1 Viewer)

How long should a "if split" on someones For Sale ad be valid for? A month? 2 months? 6? A year?
I'd say much less that that. If a couple of weeks passes and nothing happens in a sale, the "if split dibser" might very well have moved on. I would say the seller should contact whoever claimed dibs if split as soon as a sale looks complete, but if its been weeks I wouldn't expect them to have to honor it. (Although many will) if its a couple of days, then I'd say for sure it would be expected to be honored.

A similar but far less serious question I've always had that I'll ask you is this: How long should a "if split" on someones For Sale ad be valid for? A month? 2 months? 6? A year? Asking for a friend...
I say zero days.
To me, “dibs if split” is just indicating interest. Since the guy didn’t offer to sell those chips separately, there is no offer to accept or to dib.
The dibs if split chips are almost invariably either the fracs or the highest denom (in other words the most valuable chips in the lot) so they’re likely going to be priced at a premium if sold separately. They might even be included in the lot as a loss leader. Maybe the seller wants to auction those off. Maybe he has a friend who wants them. Or maybe somebody has already shot him a PM and offered him stupid money for them. Who knows?

I say zero days.
To me, “dibs if split” is just indicating interest. Since the guy didn’t offer to sell those chips separately, there is no offer to accept or to dib.
The dibs if split chips are almost invariably either the fracs or the highest denom (in other words the most valuable chips in the lot) so they’re likely going to be priced at a premium if sold separately. They might even be included in the lot as a loss leader. Maybe the seller wants to auction those off. Maybe he has a friend who wants them. Or maybe somebody has already shot him a PM and offered him stupid money for them. Who knows?
Imo "dibs if split" is very different if there is a listed price for the different racks or not. I agree it means pretty much nothing if there's no rack prices listed, but on the other hand if the racks are listed with seperate pricing (but the sale only goes through if all racks are sold) I say "dibs if split" should be pretty much binding at least for a couple of days, and probably more. Could be several weeks, but at least a few days minimum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom