Take time to cherish the little things. (2 Viewers)

I got some hardware, yo!
View attachment 1148476

Just reading this thread now. This happens to be kind of what I do professionally. It’s only a 4 level fusion and I don’t see any corpectomy cage. So probably just a decompression fusion. Hey maybe it was an intradural lesion (typically a schwanoma at thoracic level). That has excellent prognosis versus some spinal met (usually to vertebral body). The 8 hour duration you describe makes me think this was more likely an intradural lesion. Wish you the best in your recovery.

Last edited:
Just reading this thread now. This happens to be kind of what I do professionally. It’s only a 4 level fusion and I don’t see any corpectomy cage. So probably just a decompression fusion. Hey maybe it was an intradural lesion (typically a schwanoma at thoracic level). That has excellent prognosis versus some spinal met (usually to vertebral body). The 8 hour duration you describe makes me think this was more likely an intradural lesion. Wish you the best in your recovery.
1D6C8167-91DF-439A-8512-512FD8C38390.gif

It was an intradural extramedullary lesion. Haven’t seen the final pathology report yet, but one of the neurosurgeons said they were leaning toward meningioma. They had to cut away parts of T8 and T9 to be able to get at the growth. Dr. Yamaguchi is a freaking rockstar! I admire what y’all do. I can’t even open a bag of M&M’s without spilling a third of the bag on the floor. :)

Last edited:
It was an intradural extramedullary lesion. Haven’t seen the final pathology report yet, but one of the neurosurgeons said they were leaning toward meningioma. They had to cut away parts of T8 and T9 to be able to get at the growth. Dr. Yamaguchi is a freaking rockstar! I admire what y’all do. I can’t even open a bag of M&M’s without spilling a third of the bag on the floor. :)
Meningioma and Schwanoma are basically the same thing. My original post said “meningioma” but I edited it lol. Central vs peripheral nervous system. They’re usually well circumscribed like a meatball and scoop out just as easily. Slow growing and typically no real recurrence. Cheers to the little things.

UPDATE!!!

Settled in at the rehab facility. Had sessions yesterday with physical and occupational therapists yesterday, everything from figuring out how to put my underwear on, to how to get into and out of a car, to training my right leg not to buckle every time I need it to support me. Making good progress. Sounds like I’ll spend about a week here.

Pain is mostly very tolerable, as long as I take oxy and Tylenol regularly. Only a couple activities exacerbate the pain, but I’m starting to feel a bit more normal.

Still very grateful for every struggle. My mood only gets low when the pain is at its worst. I’ve gotten a little snippy with nursing staff who didn’t seem to understand what I needed, but not too bad. And I always apologize and tell them that I appreciate them.

I keep thinking things like “oh, I’ll just walk over quick grab my water”, then remember the staff want me always accompanied by an assistant. :D

I want to once again express my appreciation for all you. I’ve read through this entire thread several times. Every post means so much to me. Most of you are close to strangers—we have barely interacted beyond replying to each other posts on a forum dedicated to little clay discs—but you expressed heartfelt concern, joyful celebration with me as I went through this process. I also received very kind and helpful PM’s from a handful of you. You all have gone above and beyond to make my days a little brighter, and I thank you.

Last edited:
Still very grateful for every struggle. My mood only gets low when the pain is at its worst. I’ve gotten a little snippy with nursing staff who didn’t seem to understand what I needed, but not to bad. And I always apologize and tell them that I appreciate them.

That's a great attitude to have, health care folks in those types roles take a lot of shit on a daily basis from most patients. It's an understood part of the job, but I've seen how much it can wear a person down (my wife is in healthcare). Trust me when I say even a simple "thank you" goes a long way.

Great to hear the recovery is going well, keep on trucking :tup:

Day 12 post-op update!

I’ll be leaving the rehabilitation facility on Friday. 2 weeks from surgery to home. I’m very pleased with the entire process.

I have still have some pain that limits my independence. Certain ways I reach or move cause some deep intense pain in my back. My right leg is still lagging behind, so I’ll be doing outpatient PT for a while. But I can get around fairly smoothly with a walker, get dressed with just a grabber tool, and I’m learning to handle just about everything on my own. I’m eager to get home.

Heading home!
70862847558__85C95257-21BD-4BF7-8B24-049208546552.jpeg

Still a lot of rehab to do, but I’m able to manage most of my daily activities on my own.

Grateful for everything over the last couple weeks! Thanks again to you all for all the encouragement!

I’ll be seeing you before you know it! Looking forward to having you down for a game. If you haven’t followed my home game thread I bought a shuffle tech and a hot dog roller. Come and get it bud. Sounds like things are progressing very well!!

Fantastic news! The work is just beginning. There will be good and bad days. Don't get discouraged and keep up with routines.

Holy crap. Just now seeing this thread and reading through. Glad everything went well brother.
Next time you're in Kentucky, bourbon is on me!

Just thought I'd let you know that the PCF software thinks you might be a slow Windows 11 PC.

1686941144457.png

Regardless, grateful to hear the positive updates. Sounds like you hit the jackpot w/your surgeon and that you've got a strong PT team/support system.

Although I have to admit, my first thought upon seeing that x-ray (standing??? uh, only if they hoisted me up!) was "Needs more cowbell."

Relearning & training your body to do things the simple things like walk & bend over in the later stage of life is no mean feat. Sounds like you've got the mental part whipped just hang tough and push through the pain. You'll be bending down and tying those shoes again before you know it. .

Still sending good wishes and juju your way. :cool

Just thought I'd let you know that the PCF software thinks you might be a slow Windows 11 PC.

View attachment 1151773

Regardless, grateful to hear the positive updates. Sounds like you hit the jackpot w/your surgeon and that you've got a strong PT team/support system.

Although I have to admit, my first thought upon seeing that x-ray (standing??? uh, only if they hoisted me up!) was "Needs more cowbell."
I was able to stand up with little support pretty quickly. My legs are getting noticeably stronger, especially my right leg. I was cleared to get out of bed on my own for the last 24 hrs of my rehab stay. I’d say my legs already feel about as strong as they were pre-surgery. My back will take a lot of healing, of course.

Sooo, ummm... where are the hot nurse stories? View attachment 1151774
Lots of my nurses and aides were young and attractive, but at my age they seem more like daughters. I wanted to set them up with my son.

And once they ran a catheter or wiped my butt, all sense of sexiness was gone. They were just lovely young ladies who were being very kind to me. :)

I’ve had a couple people reach out to me, so I suppose it’s time for a…

ONE MONTH UPDATE!

Doing really well. I’ve had just a couple really rough days with pain and/or mood, but for the most part I’ve felt like I’m improving, and it’s been really easy to stay encouraged.

Getting around well at home. Able to get myself a sandwich, reheat leftovers, or do some easy cooking, like eggs, or a grilled sandwich. Still need my wife to do some things for me, but I’m becoming more independent every day.

PT is challenging, but really making a difference. Finally feel like my legs are starting to cooperate. Yesterday, I was able to take my first steps without putting any weight on my walker. Just and handful of small, slow, awkward steps, but it made me feel like I’m really going to make it to the other side of this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom