Take time to cherish the little things. (2 Viewers)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
I’ve got a pretty serious surgery happening tomorrow.

A few months ago, I started having problems with my legs: weakness, numbness, bad balance, etc. I got to the doctor pretty quickly , but unfortunately, it took months of referrals, tests, and MRI’s to discover a tumor putting pressure in my spinal cord. The cord is forced to curve around the mass, and is pinched pretty thin.

The surgery is pretty serious. It will be 8 hrs long, and involves removing parts of vertebrae, working around delicate parts, and some screws and rods. The tough part is that there’s not a zero percent chance that it could leave me paralyzed. However, without surgery, paralysis is practically guaranteed.

I’ve got 90% equity, so I’m shoving. No running it twice.

It hit me like a freight train yesterday. Lots of weeping. My beautiful, loving wife was by my side. She was strong for me, even though her heart is breaking. Fortunately, my dad and mom were able to visit me, and I was able to stand up and hug and kiss them.

Suddenly, poker doesn’t matter. Chips don’t matter. Politics don’t matter. My loving wife and son matter. My friends matter. My heart matters.

So go out enjoy the warmth of the sun on your face. Put your toes in the grass. Call your dad and mom. Smile at your spouse. Hug your children. Tell your family and friends that you really love them.

I’ll know in a day or two more what my future will be like. I’ll update when I can.

Thanks, everyone. I love being a part of things here.

Hey. Good luck.

The tough part is that there’s not a zero percent chance that it could leave me paralyzed. However, without surgery, paralysis is practically guaranteed.

I've fought this battle before. I walk with a limp and can't feel 30% of my right leg. It's way better than the Paralysis option. Or the colostomy bag.

Don't lift anything, trust in recovery, do what PT says, don't lift anything, and don't lift anything. I'll send ya the rest of my good back JuJu.

Hey. Good luck.

I've fought this battle before. I walk with a limp and can't feel 30% of my right leg. It's way better than the Paralysis option. Or the colostomy bag.

Don't lift anything, trust in recovery, do what PT says, don't lift anything, and don't lift anything. I'll send ya the rest of my good back JuJu.
Yeah, when I saw the MRI images, I feel fortunate that something didn’t go seriously wrong already. Scary to think about.

Best wishes for a smooth and complication free surgery tomorrow. I'm sure your team will be on top of things, but feel free to PM me about any questions/concerns in the recovery process. This is my arena and I deal with lots of patients in similar situations.

Damn. Very sorry to hear this. Time to cash in that “one time”. Will be pulling for you big time. Take care and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for putting things in perspective.

I am sending you and your family all the best thoughts I got. Good Luck, I hope everything goes extreamly smoothly.

Good luck All In.

Seriously - this sucks but it sounds like you're in good hands. Maybe not University of Michigan good hands, but you got this :cool

Keep us updated. I'll be thinking of you.

Sad to hear what you've got ahead, but I wish you the best, my man. I'll be thinking of you.

BTW, and I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, @Josh Kifer has three buttholes if you need a transplant.
FYP.

Thinking of you, Andrew. Sounds like you have a good team and support system around you. And a good attitude to get through.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom