Take time to cherish the little things. (2 Viewers)

Day 4 post surgery update:

I can confirm that this is going to be a long difficult process. I’m out of the woods, but at the foot of a rather large mountain.

The excruciating pain of any movement has decreased from “AAARRRGH” to “eesh”. I can reach and grab my drinks and snacks, flip my pillow, and adjust myself in the bed slightly. I still need assistance to roll over, but pain is minimal. The pain has also changed from being general back pain, to being focused on the incision area.

My left leg is much stronger than my right. I could feel touch and wiggle my toes on both sides, but I’m just now able to lift my right leg a few inches off the bed.

I’ve been out of bed twice for short periods. I was transferred to the chair got a couple hours with the help of two wonderful PT’s. It has to be such a fulfilling, but often heartbreaking, career.

As soon as they can remove my epidural and hemovac, I’ll be ready for transfer to an inpatient acute rehab center. I’ll be there for probably two weeks, working regularly with PTs and OTs. There happens to be a facility at my local hospital. Here’s hoping they have an open bed.

Every sign of progress gives me hope. Thank you all for the support and encouragement!
you've got a good mindset: PT is incredibly frustrating and slow, but so so necessary. Keep your head up and stay positive. I know its easier said than done, and there will be good and bad days, but you've got support!

you've got a good mindset: PT is incredibly frustrating and slow, but so so necessary. Keep your head up and stay positive. I know its easier said than done, and there will be good and bad days, but you've got support!

X2 - trust the process. If often won't make 100% sense from a patient perspective, but trust the process.

Glad to hear you're on the mend! Sounds like you're in good hands which will help with the recovery. So awesome that you have a great support system around you for those tough days when you'll need their help and encouragement. Us degens will be here too if you need to vent. Keep the updates coming!

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Slow down. Hawkeye football is still a few months away...you deserve the luxury suite.
I couldn’t convince them that I’m a 10-year-old so I could stay at Stead Children’s Hospital anyway. :(

Good news: I’m approved to be transferred to the acute rehab center in my home town, which has a great reputation and a really nice new facility.

Less good news: a bed isn’t available till Friday, so I’m stuck here two more nights.

Not the worst runout.

Just finished reading through this and you're attitude and approach seem to be spot on! Thankful for a good outcome. Glad you have your family around you, and, a healthy dose of degens to give support and a good ration of razzing. Speaking of Razz, you ready for some cards??
Prayers and wishes for a speedy, healthy recovery.

You deserve a salute!

1686160986792.png

PT was just here. Got out of bed and took about 30 wobbly steps with the walker! I felt like I could have taken another 30 if needed. I’m very encouraged.
Dude. If your talking and the leg can handle weight, your doing FANTASTIC. Keep doing PT and babying that back. PT ice packs have become my best friend the last 10 years.

Just finished reading through this and you're attitude and approach seem to be spot on! Thankful for a good outcome. Glad you have your family around you, and, a healthy dose of degens to give support and a good ration of razzing. Speaking of Razz, you ready for some cards??
Prayers and wishes for a speedy, healthy recovery.
The least comfortable way to be still is sitting up in a chair, so live poker is a ways off. I thought about trying online a little bit, but once I’m able to relax a bit, I doze off.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom