How long to you have to live somewhere..... (1 Viewer)

Bump.
Note my profile flag will be green, white and red for the next few months:)
Anyone want to guess where?
Florida? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

And in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I spent a couple months in Salt Lake City many years ago, but I don't say I lived there because it was an extended business trip, and I lived in a hotel with no plans to stay permanently.

Had I actually moved there for the same period of time and then left due to work or other circumstances, I'd probably say that I lived there.

This is an interesting question. I have done a number of "expat" assignments in different countries ranging from 1.5 to 5.5 years. Each time I consider that I'd lived there since I took my family with me, opened a bank account, rented (or bought) a place to live, paid taxes (where necessary) and put the kids in school (if they were born). For the shortest assignment, I started in March so we decided that my family would stay in Texas and finish the school year and then move so they arrived in August at the start of the next school year and the (originally 3-year) assignment was cut short so we all left in June of the following year at the end of the school year. I still consider they'd lived there even though they were physically in country for just over 9 months.

I have a few friends who have rotational jobs (e.g. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off or 3 weeks on, 1 week off) but they've left their family, house etc back "home". One stays at a camp, one is offshore and one is in a city. Are they all living at their assignment location?

This leads to another question - where is "home"?

As a couple of non-southerners living in the south, a similar question is often poised to me or Mrs Zombie - "where are you from?"

If you still live on a section of land that used to be your grand-daddy's farm, that might seem to be a reasonable question. But the truth is, once you've lived in enough locations that question becomes obfuscated with multiple definitions.

It's where the heart is or where you hang your hat - sometimes both. I may sound glib, but I think those sayings exist for good reasons.

For some people, home is not necessarily where you live. For many years after I moved out, my parents' house was still what the word "home" immediately brought to mind. My wife and I moved around a lot for our first few years of marriage, and it wasn't until we bought a house and started having kids before I really shook that.

On the other hand, I thought of (and still think of) all the places we lived as home. Love, safety and shelter, all my stuff was there, and it was where I went at the end of the day.

English only at the table sir.

USA USA USA!
If I'm found dead from choking on my Cheerios, it's because the sequence of posts were...
LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS! LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS! LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS!
As a couple of non-southerners living in the south, a similar question is often poised to me or Mrs Zombie - "where are you from?"

If you still live on a section of land that used to be your grand-daddy's farm, that might seem to be a reasonable question. But the truth is, once you've lived in enough locations that question becomes obfuscated with multiple definitions.
English only at the table sir.

USA USA USA!
...and you sited "obfuscated" and not "LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS".

Now excuse me as I blow Cheerios out of my nasal passage.

I spent two months in Peru in 2017, and another four months during a separate trip in 2018. The first trip, I rented a furnished apartment via someone local and stayed there. The second, I stayed in three different Airbnbs, each for at least a month (one for two months).

I would say that I lived in Peru over those periods. I brought my work with me, went grocery shopping, treated the apartment as my home base when traveling to other cities, and generally settled in.

How long you stay is one of the main factors. Under a month, you really can't say that you've lived in a place. But also, what type of lodging do you have? Do you consider it your "home," even if only temporary? @Schmendr1ck makes some great points along these lines. A lot of it is about feel.

This is a whole new can of worms! We've "lived" in Texas for 13 years (maintained a house, bank account, paid taxes etc) but have done two expat assignments totaling nearly 5 years in that time so actually we've only "lived" in Texas" for about 8 years. I met my wife on my first assignment 16 years ago, son was born there, daughter born in Texas. Between the 4 of us, we have 3 different colour passports.

If anyone asks, I say I'm from England as that's where spent my childhood, where my parents still live and I was there for nearly 20 years of my life.

It's where the heart is or where you hang your hat - sometimes both. I may sound glib, but I think those sayings exist for good reasons.
When I was younger, home was where my parents lived. Now home is where my wife and kids are - I don't consider it a specific location any more. When the kids go off to college, then I'm guessing home will be where my wife is.

I was born in DE, lived 10 years in WV, back to DE through high school, college and young professional years. Moved to MD 9 years ago. Maybe its because having the kids grow up here and really growing into a family, but when I am asked, I am from MD. I am a Baltimoron.

The idea of "home" being one's parents' house even well into adulthood has always been funny to me.

It's especially silly when we're talking about, for example, someone in his 30s who moves in with his parents. People will say he's "living at home" or he has "moved back home."

What is with that expression? Dude has had his own life and own living spaces for 15 or 20 years. How is "home" now his parents' house? Often, the parents move and it's an entirely different house in a new city, and the 30-something has never spent a night there. How is that "home"?

I don't know. Maybe it's just intended as a euphemism so the guy doesn't have to say explicitly that's living with his parents.

I spent two months in Peru in 2017, and another four months during a separate trip in 2018. The first trip, I rented a furnished apartment via someone local and stayed there. The second, I stayed in three different Airbnbs, each for at least a month (one for two months).

I would say that I lived in Peru over those periods. I brought my work with me, went grocery shopping, treated the apartment as my home base when traveling to other cities, and generally settled in.

How long you stay is one of the main factors. Under a month, you really can't say that you've lived in a place. But also, what type of lodging do you have? Do you consider it your "home," even if only temporary? @Schmendr1ck makes some great points along these lines. A lot of it is about feel.

This is where I'm at and I basically agree. In this situation I think its a matter of time. On month or 6 weeks, I'd say no. 6 to 10 weeks I'd say it depends on other factors like how much you integrate into the community, sense of permanence (ie did you intend to stay longer and had to return home vs a temporary work transfer.)
I'd say if you plant your feet anywhere for 10 weeks or more, then you lived there.

"Home"? is a different question. I still consider Florida home even though in the last 3 1/2 years I've spent most of the time out of the state.

A hint for anyone curious where exactly I am in Mexico.
Its a favorite destination for people who escape from prison.

For me it is 12 months.

If I tell someone I lived in XXXXX, and then they asked me “how were the winters there?” (Or summers)

I want to be able to answer by actual experience.

If El Rey is a prison movie from the 90s then that is a good guess.

Maybe this will be the answer to the same question next year:)

"Get busy Living, or get busy dying!"
No, El Rey is an archaeological site in Cancun, but it's also the fictional destination of George Clooney's character in the late 90's cult classic From Dusk Til Dawn. It's a place where, for 30% of your net worth, criminals/fugitives can live there in safety.

Pretty sure the movie reference was to The Shawshank Redemption, but I don't remember the beach in Mexico where they were planning to go.

No, El Rey is an archaeological site in Cancun, but it's also the fictional destination of George Clooney's character in the late 90's cult classic From Dusk Til Dawn. It's a place where, for 30% of your net worth, criminals/fugitives can live there in safety.
Ah, good guess. I did not know that.

Pretty sure the movie reference was to The Shawshank Redemption, but I don't remember the beach in Mexico where they were planning to go.
I'll send you a post card:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom