Tourney Halloween "Zombie Resurrection" idea (2 Viewers)

Let me rephrase that. @BGinGA says having the zombie post an ante from the same position each orbit is "the worst approach by far" in terms of fairness. Would it be a fair assumption that as more players become zombies that unfairness decreases since other players will find themselves sat next to zombies posting button antes rather than just one.

I don't want to adopt the worst approach in terms of fairness but I also want to adopt an approach that is manageable and, to an extent, simple.
Honestly a random spot where a extra sb/bb gets posted once a orbit is probably the best we can hope for in fairness. The more zombies will make it a more even playing field due to dead money. It will open people's ranges up quite a bit. If you watch bomb pots they do in live games, this reminds me of that. Will probably be more limping to see a flop and the winner of that pot will be sitting nicely

Check my math, but it should be 1-(51/52*50/51*49/50*48/49*46/48) which equals about a 10% chance of the suicide King hitting the flop. It should hit once per orbit, on average, at a full 10-handed table.
Do the odds go down for tables of less than 10?

Maybe the simplest solution is to have to zombie roll a dice :cool

Edit: that's tongue in cheek BTW, I don't want to feel like I'm playing D&D instead of poker!

Do the odds go down for tables of less than 10?

I editted my post. If my math is correct, it'll hit a 5-card board (not a flop) about 10% of the time. If ten hands showed a full 5-card flop, then yes, 1 time per orbit at a full table, but less per orbit on a shorter table, on average.

But because not every hand is going to get a 5-card board, it's not correct to say it'll hit once per orbit on a 10-player table.

BTW is there a significance to the name "suicide king"? I'm surprised nobody has suggested the Night King represented by the King of spades (for digging graves innit?)

The king of hearts holds the sword. Its supposed to be behind his back, but sometimes it looks like he's stabbing himself in the skull.

suicideking.jpg

Last edited:
I editted my post. If my math is correct, it'll hit a 5-card board (not a flop) about 10% of the time. If ten hands showed a full 5-card flop, then yes, 1 time per orbit at a full table, but less per orbit on a shorter table, on average.

But because not every hand is going to get a 5-card board, it's not correct to say it'll hit once per orbit on a 10-player table.
As stated in other thread, this is actually a good thing. It favors the zombie bleeding less, which keeps the game closer to it's natural state. This oct we hopefully will have a handful of games following similar formats running a test run. I can see 2020 oct being epic with zombie shirt giveaways etc

So would you have the zombie(s) post antes on the street where the suicide king appears or pre-flop in the next hand?

I'm thinking of buying 5k chips of the del muertos for rebuys. I have 5 of them from @Beakertwang and I love them. So 10k rebuy gets 2 chips. What are you thoughts on mixing sets for this one tournament just to get the zombie vibe going?

F paper, just use a red dry erase marker on our plastics!

Yeah, that won't wipe off easily.

I'm thinking of buying 5k chips of the del muertos for rebuys. I have 5 of them from @Beakertwang and I love them. So 10k rebuy gets 2 chips. What are you thoughts on mixing sets for this one tournament just to get the zombie vibe going?

We'd be using the zombie chip set.

51PLfES8ZHL._SX300_.jpg

I don't like the idea of mixing chips... Who do you think you are, the Borgata?

I took parts of this I like and changed a few things. Is this unplayable?

When knocked out if there are no Zombies at the table you can become a Zombie for $10 or choose to stay human for the regular $20 buy in.
Zombies start with 20k chips (starting stack and rebuys are 10k)
Zombies must post the Big Blind Each Hand (this will not affect the person in the BB who will also have to post the BB.
Zombies have a $5 bounty on them
Any player a knocked out by the zombie will also have the option to become a Zombie even after the rebuy period ends
Free Add on (7,500) if you survive the Zombie Apocalypse as a human up to 8:00 (This is also the end of the human rebuy period)
Zombies can not get an add on.
The cure is found when down to the final 3 players. Zombie rules will no longer apply.

Yes we have come to the conclusion this is unplayable when it comes to bleeding the zombie

because not every hand is going to get a 5-card board, it's not correct to say it'll hit once per orbit on a 10-player table.
Yep, and combined with those times when it never gets past the flop (only 3 cards, not 5) or here is no flop at all (action ends pre-flop, so zero cards), it's gonna be a LOT less than once per orbit.

I think a better solution is to force the Zombie bleed on the next hand whenever EITHER red king appears as a board card (and a double whammy forced post when both appear). This will actually be much closer to once per orbit in actual play -- and anything less is probably not enough pressure on the Zombie to make any difference in game play (and certainly not enough to overcome or significantly diminish his double-stack advantage).

Any tips on eliminating the risk of forgetting? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
It would seem to me the perfect opportunity for a custom Bleeding Zombie button to be created and utilized. He could even be holding the two red Kings in his hand. Sure, nobody's gonna forget, but hey, this is a chip forum -- so new chips are required, amirite?

Yep, and combined with those times when it never gets past the flop (only 3 cards, not 5) or here is no flop at all (action ends pre-flop, so zero cards), it's gonna be a LOT less than once per orbit.

I think a better solution is to force the Zombie bleed on the next hand whenever EITHER red king appears as a board card (and a double whammy forced post when both appear). This will actually be much closer to once per orbit in actual play -- and anything less is probably not enough pressure on the Zombie to make any difference in game play (and certainly not enough to overcome or significantly diminish his double-stack advantage).

It would seem to me the perfect opportunity for a custom Bleeding Zombie button to be created and utilized. He could even be holding the two red Kings in his hand. Sure, nobody's gonna forget, but hey, this is a chip forum -- so new chips are required, amirite?
I'd like to point out I won't be giving zombies double stacks, I wanted less crazy and will be doing starting stacks, this is also why I'll be using suicide king. It will spice the game up just a tad bit. Possibly may go with both red king's though and small blind ante

bleeding the zombie
I think a better solution is to force the Zombie bleed on the next hand whenever EITHER red king appears as a board card (and a double whammy forced post when both appear).
I disagree with your assumptions in the early stages of a tournament. *Either* red king will hit the flop about 12% of the time (and a 5-card board about 18% of the time).

But it raises a good point. How often does a tournament get down to the late stages (5 players or less) and you don't see flops often. With three players left, flops are really rare, maybe 1 flop every ten hands. Being a zombie at that point has almost zero downside... If that's what you're going for, fine. But it's worth thinking about.

Maybe you give the players the option to show a red king in their hand (that doesn't affect the action of others) to force a zombie blind next hand.

I disagree with your assumptions in the early stages of a tournament. *Either* red king will hit the flop about 12% of the time (and a 5-card board about 18% of the time).
Yep, and about 15% if the hand ends after the turn card, and 0% if it ends pre-flop.

Assuming each probability occurs equally (probably not true, but gotta start somewhere), that means that a ~11.25% chance overall is about right. Skewing the numbers to hands ending 20% pre-flop, 50% after flop, 20% after turn, 10% after river makes it ~10.8% overall. Close enough to once per 10 hands for me. And far better than just one king appearing, which I don't think happens enough to be meaningful.

The zombie is selected "randomly" as in they were knocked out. From the start of the game, everyone has the same chance to have position on the zombie.

That is fair.

As the night goes on there will be a zombie. Someone will have a slight advantage to steal one extra SB.

One SB.

This isn't a huge advantage. In my games the first knockout is (on average) level 5. That's 1/4 of the night before the first KO. KO #2 comes at level 7 (again, on average). Now that positional advantage is shared by 2 players - and remember that positional advantage is 1/2 a big blind.KO #3, comes on level 8.

I should point out that we get in about one orbit per level (12 minute levels).

So one player has a chance to steal 2 SB, before someone else gets the same advantage and you call that "significant"? I'd say the theory is bigger than the reality.

Personally, for a low-stakes game I'd stick with a button ante. It's easy to remember as it's constant, and the game is more about the fun than the money. No need to complicate things over such a slight advantage (which will change if tables consolidate).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom