Tourney Halloween "Zombie Resurrection" idea (1 Viewer)

Are you still planning an ante every hand? If so how much? I originally planned every hand but it seemed unsustainable even with a SB.

Every hand where a Zombie has the Big Blind, there would be a SB antie paid by the Big Blind.

It would be sustainable since everyone eliminated at some point would get a free rebuy and thus be a Big Blind-ante paying zombie. It is only possible for one player to be human at the end.

Every hand where a Zombie has the Big Blind, there would be a SB antie paid by the Big Blind.

It would be sustainable since everyone eliminated at some point would get a free rebuy and thus be a Big Blind-ante paying zombie. It is only possible for one player to be human at the end.
So once per orbit, when a zombie is the BB they post a BB+SB? Have I got that right?

Essentially, yes.

They would post the SB ante, which would go directly into the pot. Then they post their blind. If they dont have enough to cover the ante and the Big Blind, they post the ante and can not win anything but their ante back.

Although the possibility of having 1.5 BB or less is unlikely, I accept the concept that sometimes zombies pose no threat.

@Poker Zombie can you explain the reason behind zombie antes going directly into the pot. Is that a standard thing for antes in general? Would it be problematic if the zombie bleed was posted in the SB position as 2xSB (not directly into the pot)? Cheers

Antes always go directly into the pot, and therefore do not count as a bet. They do not get matched by other pre-flop callers, and do not count toward your bet. It's "dead money".

Having the zombies post a big blind from the small blind would work, it's just odd. It's also less of a penalty, since the bet is "live".

Agreed.

You can't add it on the the BB, or else it would raise the stakes for the hand as to the while table. And though you could do it as a SB+SB, then the only "penalty" in an unraised pot is having to see the pot instead of folding just a SB.

If you did a SB+SB, you could see a flop for just the cost of a BB. If the SB I posted and the SB zombie ante is dead, then you told your rags because you don't want to complete the SB. But you've still paid the full BB and thus, a true zombie penalty.

Plus, "dead money"? C'mon...this stuff writes itself.

As someone watching from the rail I'm very much looking forward to feedback after you've tried all this!

IMO I think just posting an ante once per orbit is too small a bleed, I'd go for every hand.

Last edited:
IMO I think just posting an ante once per orbit is too small a bleed, I'd go for every hand.
This is certainly do-able, but you would need to keep small chips on the table longer to handle the every-hand-ante. It would also present the "problem" of verifying who posted their ante once 1/2 the table has been turned undead.

While I'm not personally a fan of table antes (or antes in general) a BB ante or a button ante makes the most sence in this scenario. The button ante actually makes a little more sence, because if the zombie is killed leaving a dead button, it is only right that there is no ante then. However, since my home game is self-dealt, I would not want to burden the dealer with one more task of dealing and getting change (when needed) to post their ante. The Big Blind can do that freely while the dealer deals without delaying the game. So I prefer the Big Blind Ante in this scenario.

Last edited:
This is certainly do-able, but you would need to keep small chips on the table longer to handle the every-hand-ante.
I've seen this argument a lot in favour of table antes, but it depends on the ante size and structure. For example, in the structures from the WSOP ME back when individual antes where used, the color-ups would have occurred at the same time with or without antes (that I have seen, haven't seen every year's structure), so you wouldn't necessarily keep lower denom chips in play longer.
Example from 2018:
SmartSelect_20190915-205112_Drive.jpg

In many home games levels like 250/500, 1200/2400 and 2500/5000 may be skipped, meaning individual antes would keep T25, T100 and T500 on the felt an extra level each compared to table antes.

But sure, I understand that table antes are more convenient, I prefer them myself even outside the realm of the undead. ;)

I just think having it the size of the SB might be a bit too small. I want the zombie(s) to really feel that they need to be aggressive to stay afloat. Is a small blind per orbit enough to trigger the wrath of the living dead? I am however eagerly awaiting to stand corrected after you all have tried it out! This Halloween is out, but hopefully next Halloween I can host a zombie tournament and I'm hoping to learn from you all!

I just think having it the size of the SB might be a bit too small. I want the zombie(s) to really feel that they need to be aggressive to stay afloat. Is a small blind per orbit enough to trigger the wrath of the living dead?
I've pondered over this question quite a lot but I'm not sure have enough experience to guide me. An extra SB per orbit is 33% more than other players will post. I suspect in the early levels it may seem insignificant when a stack is worth hundreds of SBs and wouldn't necessarily motivate a zombie to act aggressively, but if he doesn't I imagine he'll struggle in the second half of the tournament when a below average stack might only contain 10—20 SBs or so. If a zombie doesn't feel under pressure when he first turns I think he might do once the decay sets in. I admit I am not sure about it though and haven't decided at what level to set my zombie bleed.

I've pondered over this question quite a lot but I'm not sure have enough experience to guide me. An extra SB per orbit is 33% more than other players will post. I suspect in the early levels it may seem insignificant when a stack is worth hundreds of SBs and wouldn't necessarily motivate a zombie to act aggressively, but if he doesn't I imagine he'll struggle in the second half of the tournament when a below average stack might only contain 10—20 SBs or so. If a zombie doesn't feel under pressure when he first turns I think he might do once the decay sets in. I admit I am not sure about it though and haven't decided at what level to set my be zombie bleed.
A thinking zombie may come to the conclusion that he needs to be aggressive, even before it matters, to balance out the more painful zombie ante later...

But I'd bet your average home game player will just play it like normal, get short quicker than usual, and then complain about the structure for zombies being too fast when, in reality, they made no adjustments until it was too late.

A thinking zombie may come to the conclusion that he needs to be aggressive, even before it matters, to balance out the more painful zombie ante later...

But I'd bet your average home game player will just play it like normal, get short quicker than usual, and then complain about the structure for zombies being too fast when, in reality, they made no adjustments until it was too late.
^^ This. Which is why you need to whack the zombie hard, right out of the gate. Nothing is really 'free'..... everything has it's price.

^^ This. Which is why you need to whack the zombie hard, right out of the gate. Nothing is really 'free'..... everything has it's price.
The trouble is that if the zombie ante is harsh right out of the gate it will be exponentially harsher a few blind levels later, maybe insurmountably so.

Hence the eventual 'cure' if he manages to survive that long.

I'm not overly keen on a cure. Not sure it fits into the zombie lore. Maybe it's necessary though, I don't know.

If everybody has the opportunity to become a zombie, the "penalty" is evenly distributed.
  • If there are a few zombies, a few players will be penalized.
  • If most of the players are zombies the zombies (relative to each other) are equal, and the humans have an advantage.
  • If all the players become a zombie, there is no penalty/advantage - it becomes an ante tournament.

I think you guys are in the thinking I was in the beginning, now we are just in different playing fields altogether. But to each their own, I'd be interested in hearing feedback from a game that penalizes that harsh. More importantly feedback from non scrub donkeys to see how they like the structure. I want a well balanced game that will excite players for 2020 zombie time. If it feels like a mob with 30 ballbats wrapped with barb wire beating you in the head as a zombie, it may drive away players instead of enticing them. IDK

For what it's worth @toynoob I'm not in the harsh penalty camp. As it stands I'd prefer to go with a once an orbit SB ante and furnish my players with a friendly tip about the dangers of being a complacent zombie.

For what it's worth @toynoob I'm not in the harsh penalty camp. As it stands I'd prefer to go with a once an orbit SB ante and furnish my players with a friendly tip about the dangers of being a complacent zombie.
I keep bouncing back between button ante or red king's I'm not 100% there

This is the structure I'm thinking of going with:

Tournament Schedule - Halloween (A3, white, 300dpi).png

100BB to start and the first three blind raises average at 58.89% (50%-66%-60%) before reverting back to a more standard 38.75% - this is intended to make the earlier rounds less conducive to complacency than they normally would and more conducive to rebuys which overall reflects the impending outbreak.

Edit: just realised I've got the second colour up (T100 & T500) in the wrong place; it should be at the third break.

Last edited:
This is the structure I'm thinking of going with:

View attachment 339530

100BB to start and the first three blind raises average at 58.89% (50%-66%-60%) before reverting back to a more standard 38.75% - this is intended to make the earlier rounds less conducive to complacency than they normally would and more conducive to rebuys which overall reflects the impending outbreak.

Edit: just realised I've got the second colour up (T100 & T500) in the wrong place; it should be at the third break.
How long is this set up for? I'm looking at 5 hours for mine

Nice poster! I guess the break after level 10 includes color-ups?
Thanks mate, and yes that's correct. I used my last poster as a template and left the last break as a colour Up break instead of moving it to the one before. Happens every time :oops: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Got these in the post today from Amazon.

IMG_20190921_153318-01.jpeg

IMG_20190921_153100-01.jpeg

IMG_20190921_153340-01.jpeg

Thought I might use them in lieu of zombie chips to identify the zombies. Everyone starts with a card from this deck face down in front of their stack and if they become a zombie they turn the card face up, ie the card is turned to show you've turned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom