Tourney Halloween "Zombie Resurrection" idea (2 Viewers)

Fwiw, "unlimited rebuys create an unfair advantage for the rich" is an unsubstantiated myth. In reality, it simply isn't true, at least not in the (literally) dozens of unlimited re-buy tournaments that I've been involved with as either a player or organizer.

Maybe Zombie's group is different, or perhaps he's just speaking theoretically vs citing real-world data.
Thanks for your input Dave, will be my first unlimited rebuy host event. I thought I was alone in my thinking on the subject. Glad a veteran has experience in the area.

Well, there is no such thing as "unlimited." No one is going to spend $1,200 on a tournament, $40 at a time.

Also, although conceptually, it might be true, when a rebuy gets you 1BB, and your heads-up opponent has 40BB, you need to double up like 4 or 5 times in a row to even have a realistic chance. It's unlikely that unlimited funds will guarantee a win.

Are you guys talking about unlimited rebuys for the whole tournament, like if I lose heads up I'll just keep rebuying until I have a string of luck long enough to knock the other player out (who can't afford to rebuy), or are you talking about unlimited rebuys until a certain level?

In the former case I can see how you can theoretically guarantee a win if you're the only player with unlimited funds, but in the latter case I don't.

Are you guys talking about unlimited rebuys for the whole tournament, like if I lose heads up I'll just keep rebuying until I have a string of luck long enough to knock the other player out (who can't afford to rebuy), or are you talking about unlimited rebuys until a certain level?

In the former case I can see how you can theoretically guarantee a win if you're the only player with unlimited funds, but in the latter case I don't.
Sure that would mean I have 250k and you rebuy for 10k, and blinds will be 8k/16k. Sounds like a great deal for you.

Either proposition.

Sure that would mean I have 250k and you rebuy for 10k, and blinds will be 8k/16k. Sounds like a great deal for you.
Just to be clear, I do not agree with @Poker Zombie that unlimited rebuys guarantees that the richest player wins. In practice, even a really rich player will quit sooner or later. In theory, even the richest player's funds may be depleted before he has a string of luck long enough to take it down.

What I think @Poker Zombie is alluding to is that theoretically, someone with unlimited funds (and unlimited time) could rebuy long enough to finally take it down, regardless of rebuy size or the current blind level.

Almost like if you're forever randomly hitting a typewriter you will sooner or later accidentally write transcript for Rounders.

Sarciness aside, I did write "theoretically" ;)

What I think @Poker Zombie is alluding to is that theoretically, someone with unlimited funds (and unlimited time) could rebuy long enough to finally take it down, regardless of rebuy size or the current blind level.
Actually, he states it in very finite terms, not theoretically:
unlimited rebuys... absolutely guarantees that the richest player will win the tournament.
Which is utter nonsense.

I believe that the concept of "unlimited" was rebuys possible with no end level.

Wedge makes a valid point though. If you are still losing a buy-in in level 35,000 (because you keep losing) you could theoretically never have enough time to get the run of double-ups needed to bink the tournament. You would also have to be exceedingly unlucky.

I have found (from experience) that unlimited rebuys until level X (typically a low number relative to the length of the tournament) is detrimental to the longevity of the game if one player abuses the rebuys. However, I have only experienced this one time, so it may have been group dependent. The players that disliked the unlimited rebuys also have voiced their dislike for cash games (we allow unlimited rebuys in cash games).

Great idea I'm going to use the day of the dead chips as markers once someone becomes a zombie

I'm going the jeton route with MSK. Mother pearl lime green will be the chips color.

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 12.25.38 PM.png

Had them made at MSK. 51mm jetons. Planning on placing these in front of zombie players when I try this format out. I think I'm going to go with double elimination. Eliminated players get a full stack and must pay a SB each hand.
How much per Jetton?

I apologize, I am going to go back through this thread, I really want to run some sort of tournament like this....
And those jetons look amazing @DeeVee8
I see what you're going to do:
double elimination. Eliminated players get a full stack and must pay a SB each hand.
So everyone gets the chance to become a zombie? or only a certain number? If the last "human" dies heads up, do they now come back as a zombie and they battle it out?

What's the TLDR?
Did anyone run this format in an actual tournament? Actual rules implemented? Pros? Cons?

Not sure if it was discussed here, but what about when zombies bustout on the rebuy, they get a small stack from the bank (5xBB or 10xBB or 10% of the starting stack) to compensate for the 'slow bleed'? After all, zombies are tough to kill.

Not sure if it was discussed here, but what about when zombies bustout on the rebuy, they get a small stack from the bank (5xBB or 10xBB or 10% of the starting stack) to compensate for the 'slow bleed'? After all, zombies are tough to kill.
As opposed to what? Are you saying instead of them not being back into the game if they already rebought?

One rebuy. Human or zombie (my preference would be random, with a higher probability of being a zombie if you were eliminated by a zombie). Does not affect human rebuys, but as a zombie on a rebuy, if you get eliminated, you get a short stack to continue..

Sort of compensation for having to post all those zombie blinds, and as an acknowledgement that it's hard to kill a zombie.

I personally would not like the idea that someone was felted, and then got a shove-or-fold stack for free - and used that to eliminate my nitty ass.

Since October is approaching I thought I would, ahem, resurrect this thread to see if anyone is organising a Zombie tournament this year.

All going well I'm hoping to have mine again this year. COVID restrictions are currently tightening up again here so it's a bit up in the air but we're playing it by ear and will see how things go. Fingers crossed!

I don't plan on changing much at all (just the blinds, really) so the main principles remain the same as last year:
  1. Shortish 100BB T10k starting stack with a 1 rebuy per player limit up to the end of level 6 (this is our usual limit and cut-off in ordinary tournaments as well).
  2. If you rebuy you are resurrected as a zombie with an extra T5k - this represents the initial strength of "fresh" zombies.
  3. If you get bit by a zombie (beaten at showdown) you turn into one. You are eligible for the 5k boost but you have to pay for it - this represents the danger of coming face to face with a zombie.
  4. Zombies pay the SB twice - once as an ante and once as the regular blind - this represents the decay of zombies who don't feed (win chips) regularly enough.
The blinds are more or less identical apart from the first 3 levels since I've gone with a T100 base in-keeping with a change I've made and stuck with for most of the year

2019​
Screenshot_20200913-193508_Sheets.jpg
2020​
Screenshot_20200913-193625_Sheets.jpg

Last year had a more aggressive start, the idea being to promote resurrections, but it really only lasted 3 levels and led to colouring up at the first break, which was a bit of a pita. Going with a T100 base means the blinds are identical from L4 onwards anyway (apart from a simplified L9) and we only colour up late on. Depending on the number of players and number of zombies (ie players paying antes) the tournament can end much earlier than the usual/average 20BB, but you'll have worked that out anyway. I'm expecting mine to end anywhere between L10-13 depending on those factors.

I'll be having 3 bonus hands, as I always do in my tournaments, worth a third of the buy in (£10/£15). Usually only 1 pays out, maybe 2 this time, but it helps give others some hope of a little bit of cash. At present they are likely to be:
  1. Dead Man's Hand - win with A8
  2. Number of the Beast - win with 666
  3. Texas Holdem Massacre - first kill/elimination (guaranteed to pay out)
So, anyone else going to give this a go in 2020? I believe @toynoob is up for it, though I think his format is a fair bit different to mine.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom