Tourney ToyNoob's Zombie Octoberfest Thread (1 Viewer)

toynoob

Full House
Reaction score
I will use this thread to keep track of my yearly Zombie themed tournament from year to year. There were more doubters in my group than supporters I think until we got rolling. Overall everyone said they had fun and did like the format in the end.

Basic skeleton of the game:
  • 20 players (2 tables of 10)
  • $50 buy in with $20 unlimited rebuys
  • 10k starting stacks/10k rebuy stacks
  • Rebuys turned you into a zombie - zombies posted a small blind ante on button
  • We used a day of the dead chip out in front of the zombies to remind everyone who turned
  • 20 min levels
Things to note:
  • Players asked to have bounties incorporated into next years game
  • Level 2 we had a zombie, he got knocked back out in level 4 and re-bought again
  • He bled every single orbit and was chip leader with 4 left for a short time
  • 19 rebuys total
  • Had 22 recruited players incase some bailed and of course we had 2 bail and had the 20 I promoted
  • Paid 4 - 1st place 45% (Guest Brian), 2nd place 30% @Sprinsd, 3rd place 17.5% donkeybreath@toynoob, 4th place 7.5% Keith aka Happy, and bubble boy Paul got $50
Blind Structure used with 20 min levels and 10 min breaks
L1 25/50
L2 50/100
L3 75/150
L4 100/200
Break
L5 150/300
L6 200/400
L7 300/600
L8 400/800
Break
L9 600/1200
L10 800/1600
L11 1000/2000
L12 1500/3000
Break
L12 2000/4000 If I remember correctly this was the last level someone chose to rebuy
L13 3000/6000
L14 4000/8000
L15 6000/12000
Break
L16 9000/18000
L17 14000/28000 Tournament ended on this level shortly after we started it
L18 22000/44000
@Blind Joe @Sprinsd @doughboy63

Scott your feedback/criticism/praise/opinion would be greatly appreciated. I want to have a even better game next year. Thanks for coming.

Last edited:
Can Ben and I get an invite next year?
uhh it never crossed my mind anyone would drive more than 30 minutes to play poker with the noob. But if anyone from here wants to play of course I would open it up to PCF. Hard to tell if you are just trying to get a laugh out of me though! :D

uhh it never crossed my mind anyone would drive more than 30 minutes to play poker with the noob. But if anyone from here wants to play of course I would open it up to PCF. Hard to tell if you are just trying to get a laugh out of me though! :D
Not at all! If it's a weekend thing itd be worth the trip! You're a good friend to us IMO!

Haha now I cant tell if you're being serious or not!
I havn't met anyone who can outlast me playing cards in person. I offered to play heads up every time we quit to keep the night rolling and I get death stares. So I am as serious as a hot dog sandwhich. Hopefully some peeps will stay up past freaking 10pm to play cards with me.........

I havn't met anyone who can outlast me playing cards in person. I offered to play heads up every time we quit to keep the night rolling and I get death stares. So I am as serious as a hot dog sandwhich. Hopefully some peeps will stay up past freaking 10pm to play cards with me.........
I played in Mark's tourney until midnight/1am!! I'm game!!!

You need to come play in one of my games. Cash normally rolls til 3 sometimes 5 sometimes 7

lol my games this past weekend went until 3 and the folks who left had a 35 minute drive home. I stayed up drinking for another hour until i went to bed. I had regrats the next morning when my four year old climbed in bed at 7 am to watch paw patrol. Luckily i was able to sober up later at church while sweating out a hangover. One day i'll degen with you @toynoob

4am and my wife starts texting to remind me I have to be awake in a few hours with the kids. It sucks every time but I still do it. 3/4 handed poker is so much fun.

lol my games this past weekend went until 3 and the folks who left had a 35 minute drive home. I stayed up drinking for another hour until i went to bed. I had regrats the next morning when my four year old climbed in bed at 7 am to watch paw patrol. Luckily i was able to sober up later at church while sweating out a hangover. One day i'll degen with you @toynoob
I know there is cool peeps out there like you and Erik, I just have yet to meet anyone willing to pick poker over sleep. As you know Pat I kinda like cards :p

I will use this thread to keep track of my yearly Zombie themed tournament from year to year. There were more doubters in my group than supporters I think until we got rolling. Overall everyone said they had fun and did like the format in the end.

Basic skeleton of the game:
  • 20 players (2 tables of 10)
  • $50 buy in with $20 unlimited rebuys
  • 10k starting stacks/10k rebuy stacks
  • Rebuys turned you into a zombie - zombies posted a small blind ante on button
  • We used a day of the dead chip out in front of the zombies to remind everyone who turned
  • 20 min levels
Things to note:
  • Players asked to have bounties incorporated into next years game
  • Level 2 we had a zombie, he got knocked back out in level 4 and re-bought again
  • He bled every single orbit and was chip leader with 4 left for a short time
  • 19 rebuys total
  • Had 22 recruited players incase some bailed and of course we had 2 bail and had the 20 I promoted
  • Paid 4 - 1st place 45% (Guest Brian), 2nd place 30% @Sprinsd, 3rd place 17.5% donkeybreath@toynoob, 4th place 7.5% Keith aka Happy, and bubble boy Paul got $50
Blind Structure used with 20 min levels and 10 min breaks
L1 25/50
L2 50/100
L3 75/150
L4 100/200
Break
L5 150/300
L6 200/400
L7 300/600
L8 400/800
Break
L9 600/1200
L10 800/1600
L11 1000/2000
L12 1500/3000
Break
L12 2000/4000 If I remember correctly this was the last level someone chose to rebuy
L13 3000/6000
L14 4000/8000
L15 6000/12000
Break
L16 9000/18000
L17 14000/28000 Tournament ended on this level shortly after we started it
L18 22000/44000
@Blind Joe @Sprinsd @doughboy63

Scott your feedback/criticism/praise/opinion would be greatly appreciated. I want to have a even better game next year. Thanks for coming.
Sounds like a success @toynoob :tup:

Nice to see your recap posted, I was wondering if/when another zombie game would go ahead.

Was there anything you think you could improve on or would introduce next year, apart from the bounties?

Sounds like a success @toynoob :tup:

Nice to see your recap posted, I was wondering if/when another zombie game would go ahead.

Was there anything you think you could improve on or would introduce next year, apart from the bounties?
Some of my buddies I play with weekly had doubts but actually commented multiple times how much they liked it. As of right now I will run it the same. One issue we had on my table was players taking the zombie marker and burying it in there chips. So early we had a orbit where both zombies didn't ante. Soon as I noticed it, I told them keep them out front please. So something bigger like a plaque would be ideal. That's really so far the only thing I can come up with. I'm hoping @Sprinsd will give his personal opinion of the experience. He did admit he don't log on here very often anymore as he has everything he needs.

Some of my buddies I play with weekly had doubts but actually commented multiple times how much they liked it. As of right now I will run it the same. One issue we had on my table was players taking the zombie marker and burying it in there chips. So early we had a orbit where both zombies didn't ante. Soon as I noticed it, I told them keep them out front please. So something bigger like a plaque would be ideal. That's really so far the only thing I can come up with. I'm hoping @Sprinsd will give his personal opinion of the experience. He did admit he don't log on here very often anymore as he has everything he needs.
Yeah I had a couple of raised eyebrows at the concept but they ended up enjoying it when we got playing.

Was rebuy your only method of turning? For my game you also turned if you lost to a zombie at showdown and that was one of my favourite elements.

When it comes to markers for identifying zombies I'm pleased with my bicycle zombie cards. They can't be mistaken or mixed up in the deck due to their design, nor can they end up hidden in a stack like a chip could, and I like the metaphor that you're card is turned when you've turned :D

But you can barely stay awake past 9:30 playing online. :LOL: :laugh:

I was at the zombie poker tournament last Sunday. I admit, I was skeptical when I got the invite. All the talk of zombies and zombie taxes seemed like it could get confusing and take away from the poker. It ended up being fun! @toynoob put on a great tournament. It was well organized, good food, PCF Tournament Chips, nice playing cards and a zombie trophy. All the zombies at our table were pretty good about remembering to post their zombie tax. I like the fact that at first (when the blinds were low) the zombie tax didn’t really matter much but later in the tournament it really punished the zombie to post two small blind per orbit. It gave a nice advantage to those who worked hard to not be a zombie. Overall it was lots of fun. Below are some thoughts/suggestions:

-I would recommend putting in a level to end the rebuy period. With 5-6 players left and blinds 9k/18k people were still considering a re-buy of 10k chips just hoping that someone goes out before the blinds get back around.

-Print the blind structure and put one at each table. Players at my table didn’t know what the upcoming blind was and seemed shocked at the increases. For example, they expected a 500/1k level.

-Zombie Chips (especially the yellow) were getting lost in people’s 1k chips and were finding their way into pots. Maybe a plaque or zombie figurine would work…..

-Just a thought, maybe the “double/triple buy-in” zombies would need to pay the big blind instead of the small?

-I thought for a $50 buy-in the $20 rebuy was a little low, however, I understand it if the intent was so collect as many rebuys as possible.

Thanks again for hosting! Lots of fun.

Hmm... That almost sounds like a challenge I would like to be a part of... Once I am playing, I can keep playing (at a home game).

Zombies are hard to kill. We had a guy who had 8 rebuys hehe.
Yeah that really surprised me lol, then he bought in twice in the ash game.

Anyway I thought the tourny went well, the only things I would suggest other than the bounties like we talked about, would be using a different method to identify zombies and possibly not allowing buyins after the blinds exceed the starting chip count.

Overall the extra small blind every orbit really didn't make much difference, came down to paying 2 bigs every orbit instead of the norm 1.5 which I find most players in our group play small blind without a raise in front of them anyway.

I do like possibility of @Sprinsd idea of paying a big blind instead if they have re bought lets say 3+ times. I think this would eliminate any need to limit the buyin as I was suggesting before. Playing 5-6 handed (bubble range) while having to pay 2.5 bigs per orbit would be pointless to continue as the super zombie.

The other main suggestion would be to do it on a Saturday, that way people don't have to work Monday morning after the game, and then you might get people willing to play later on. When I was leaving it was just the last 5-6 of us that were playing cash and the concern was work the next day.

All in all it went well and no real issues, everyone got along and good food.

I addressed hopefully the zombie identification problem today. I just bought 20 of these guys.
Screenshot_20191106-113342.png

I love the figurines, I think those will be fun zombie indicators!
If you do bounties, would you do $15 to the prize pool and $5 bounty?

About your last tournament:
So out of the 20 players, how many turned to zombies?
And what was the avg rebuy per zombie?
Were you seeing the same few degens rebuying or a flatter rebuy distribution?
And how did they place in the tournament, did any zombies cash? (Sounds like at least one zombie finished in the top 4.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom