Tourney Halloween "Zombie Resurrection" idea (2 Viewers)

Another plus point for the button ante is that it's guaranteed to be once per orbit. No more, no less.

With a random trigger it's possible for the ante to be posted for multiple hands in a row which could handicap the zombie more rapidly than you'd like.

With a random trigger, multiple humans could also see more flops in an attempt to bleed the zombie faster.

the game is more about the fun than the money.

tumblr_mjz05poPAn1qbxnzho1_500.gif

Another plus point for the button ante is that it's guaranteed to be once per orbit. No more, no less.

With a random trigger it's possible for the ante to be posted for multiple hands in a row which could handicap the zombie more rapidly than you'd like.
Is that a bad thing though? I look at it like Carl is looking for food in an abandoned house he opens the door (the flop) and is safe. He works his way into the kitchen opens the fridge and finds the suicide king! He runs into the next room (next hand) and a dang king of hearts is on the couch! It makes it random, exciting, guessing what's coming next! Who cares if that walking dead guy gets beat up a couple hands, he deserves a rough road to the top once a year in a tourney. Just my opinion obviously.

Had a shower thought last night about the Suicide King method of triggering the Zombie decay/bleed:

If the Suicide King appearing on the board means zombies must post antes in the next hand, would that change the way zombies play in the current hand and would this be a positive or negative side effect?

Edit: eg in the later rounds when an ante may represent a significant portion of a stack, could this prompt a zombie to shove knowing he will have to post the ante in the next hand should he survive the current one.

As an aside I was thinking today that :as: (aka the Death Card) would make a suitable alternative or additional trigger to the Suicide King.

Last edited:
Had a shower thought last night about the Suicide King method of triggering the Zombie decay/bleed:

If the Suicide King appearing on the board means zombies must post antes in the next hand, would that change the way zombies play in the current hand and would this be a positive or negative side effect?

As an aside I was thinking today that :as: (aka the Death Card) would make a suitable alternative or additional trigger to the Suicide King.
Wouldn't change it anymore than knowing your bb next. My group is probably already going to complain about the K, so I'm just going to use both red king's to keep it simple stupid.

My friend is interested in acquiring a Parks and Rec set. I might be selling this set for him. If interested, PM me and then I'll force him to make a decision.

Set is a T100,000k tourney set.

Starting stacks of

10 x 500
10 x 1k
11 x 5k
3 x 10k plaques

The set break down is as follows

210 x 500
260 x 1k
223 x 5k

693 chips

63 x 10k plaques
20 x 25k plaques
7 x 100,000k plaques

90 plaques

2 dealer buttons

50 of the 5k chips are a slightly different color. I used them in a tourney and nobody even noticed. It's a lot more prevalent on the pictures than in person.

The 25 and 100's aren't included

20150815_201248_zpsc9lihcgd.jpg
20151103_193104_zpsravsu5zb.jpg
20151103_193119_zpsbw6b4ga7.jpg
20151103_193127_zpsyooqhc5s.jpg
20151103_193141_zps9ju5in2n.jpg

@Blind Joe have you started photoshopping graphics yet? Wondering if I should try to learn gimp just enough to get a few graphics for a poster to release hype to my crew

@Blind Joe have you started photoshopping graphics yet? Wondering if I should try to learn gimp just enough to get a few graphics for a poster to release hype to my crew

I've knocked up a few bonus posters like the Negan one I posted a couple of pages back. There may be a few tweaks to make but I'll post them once I've given them the once over if anyone is interested.

I organise my social events through Facebook so I usually try to do a decent event cover to get a bit of hype, eg:

Halloween Poker 2.png

This is an interesting thread & I hope to implement something similar for our Halloween game. My group, myself included, couldn’t keep up with so many rules so I’ve been reading this with a little different bent.

I’m thinking of giving a very limited advantage to the zombie, because zombies have nothing to lose, and a disadvantage to the “humans” but only during the re-buy period and only during the hand in which the player was knocked out.

If it pans out for the knocked out player they/she/he become a zombie and continue to prey upon the humans in undead fashion. If it does not pan out for the potential “zombie” they are vanquished (think head-shot to save your best bud from coming back as a member of the undead) and have the option of making a normal re-buy to get back in the game.

Basically this: when a player or players get knocked out in a hand and before the pot is awarded a five-card hand will be dealt to the player(s) that were knocked out. These potential “zombies” will then draw to a hand. If they draw to a hand that beats the one that knocked them out they scoop the pot and continue to play on those chips in “undead” fashion. If they lose they are dead, and have the option to re-buy as normal.

If more than one potential “zombie” player draws to a hand that beats the one that knocked them out, they could split the pot (like dining off the same corpse) or it could just be winner take all between them. Still some things to flesh out, so to speak.

Again, these ideas are particular to my group. I’m not suggesting any changes to the direction this thread is going and I plan to continue to read to glean ideas!

One note though: The “suicide king” was murdered, that’s not his sleeve holding the sword. Just sayin’

I've been having another think about my proposed method of introducing the first zombie. To recap, the first player to rebuy is resurrected as the zombie with additional chips but with a BB ante.

However, when I mentioned this to one of my regulars yesterday his first reaction was to say he'd actively try to become the zombie (for the extra chips) until I got to the part about posting extra BBs and he did a 180 and said he'd try to avoid becoming the zombie.

If players perceive (rightly or wrongly) that the zombie is a handicap that may result in no rebuys and therefore no zombies. Players may play ultra tight to avoid becoming the zombie or may get busted out and think the rebuy is wasted money. A zombie outbreak tournament with no zombies would, I think you'll agree, be a bit of a disaster. I'm starting to think that's a risk I should avoid by taking the outbreak out of the hands of the players.

As an alternative I thought the outbreak could be initiated by a card appearing on the board (my choice would be :as: aka the Death Card), so, the first player to lose while the death card is on the board becomes the zombie.

Thoughts?

I've been having another think about my proposed method of introducing the first zombie. To recap, the first player to rebuy is resurrected as the zombie with additional chips but with a BB ante.

However, when I mentioned this to one of my regulars yesterday his first reaction was to say he'd actively try to become the zombie (for the extra chips) until I got to the part about posting extra BBs and he did a 180 and said he'd try to avoid becoming the zombie.

If players perceive (rightly or wrongly) that the zombie is a handicap that may result in no rebuys and therefore no zombies. Players may play ultra tight to avoid becoming the zombie or may get busted out and think the rebuy is wasted money. A zombie outbreak tournament with no zombies would, I think you'll agree, be a bit of a disaster. I'm starting to think that's a risk I should avoid by taking the outbreak out of the hands of the players.

As an alternative I thought the outbreak could be initiated by a card appearing on the board (my choice would be :as: aka the Death Card), so, the first player to lose while the death card is on the board becomes the zombie.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure I'm following the reason you are forcing a zombie. How does the rest of your proposed game go on? So some random bad draw of ace forces me to be handicapped? I'd personally would be pissed when we are talking $50 buy in for 20 players is $1000 prize pool. My enticement to rebuy is $20 only for rebuy as to the $50 starting buy in. $20 more at a stab at $1k prizes seems like a reason to rebuy multiple times. You could be right and people tighten up but I don't see it.

Thoughts?
I covered this (without detail) in my first post on the topic:
My initial thoughts:
  • Spending money on the rebuy gives you a regular rebuy during the rebuy period.
  • Taking the optional "free" rebuy makes you a zombie, posting an ante every hand.
  • Zombie gets the same stack size as regular rebuy, but free.
  • Every player gets the free rebuy option. No time limit. Basically, to be knocked out, you must lose twice.
  • If the winning player is a non-zombie, they get a bigger piece of the prize pool. This would require 2 payout structures, with the second being top-heavy, but do-able.
You spend money on a rebuy and stay human. Poker as usual.

Free rebuy makes you a Zombie. Same stack means no possible perceived advantage. Free means everyone would take it. Ante means that it would be used as a last resort. Everyone can get the free rebuy, so there is no advantage there either.

I've worked on game design for over 20 years. I know this would need play testing, but initially, it is solid.

@toynoob it was just the reaction of one guy that put me on edge. My concern might be misplaced but it did make me think about the possibility of everyone having the same reaction. I take your point about a reduced rebuy cost and that was indeed the plan, but with my regular buy in cost being only £10 I don't have a lot of maneuverability.

@Poker Zombie what if everyone who re-bought stayed human?

@toynoob it was just the reaction of one guy that put me on edge. My concern might be misplaced but it did make me think about the possibility of everyone having the same reaction. I take your point about a reduced rebuy cost and that was indeed the plan, but with my regular buy in cost being only £10 I don't have a lot of maneuverability.

It's definitely a valid concern forsure. My normal buy-in is $25 during the rest of the year. This will be double that. Have you considered doubling it for a special event once a year? Then your rebuys could be 10. That way the penalty is there but the rebuy is only half at a chance at a much larger pot then Normal.

The Zombie rebuy period lasts indefinitely, while the paid (human) rebuy period ends after a short run (1st break for example).

Eventually players would take the free rebuy because they were eliminated after the break.

It would also work extremely well as vampires instead of zombies, if the paid rebuy period ended at nightfall - but you'd have to time things out pretty well...

Last edited:
I may even do all rebuys = zombie, rather than just the first.
I assumed we all agreed to that already lol. Definitely what I'm doing. I wish we had a list of hosts going to try this next month. Then take votes on obstacles, to get a skeleton of rules put together. After each hosts has their game they can come and let us all know how it went. Things we hadn't thought of, or what didn't work, what worked well etc. Just a thought.

O and as I was sleeping last night I decided as in normal zombie fashion, they are hard to kill, so no cut off time for rebuys. I'm going to allow rebuys as many and as long as one wants to throw money into the pot. I play in a tourney that does this with 50-80 players and people know when to stop on their own. If someone wants to drop a $20 for 5BB bring on the zombie horde! My 100BB shotgun isn't scared!

Has anyone thought about the zombie bleed at heads up? Would you end it or continue it, considering that both players would already be posting blinds every hand?

Has anyone thought about the zombie bleed at heads up? Would you end it or continue it, considering that both players would already be posting blinds every hand?
Heads up is a different beast and usually your in the hand anyway, so with mine on any red king showing up makes the bleed, it's only a SB and you in for a blind anyway. I think to keep the theme alive I will continue the bleed until it's over. It's possible they will both be bleeding and will just help end the tournament faster.

Heads up is a different beast and usually your in the hand anyway, so with mine on any red king showing up makes the bleed, it's only a SB and you in for a blind anyway. I think to keep the theme alive I will continue the bleed until it's over. It's possible they will both be bleeding and will just help end the tournament faster.
OK, so all your zombie antes = SB? So at heads up the zombie would either post SB+SB or BB+SB depending on who has the button when the trigger card comes out?

I would continue the bleed.
Are you still planning an ante every hand? If so how much? I originally planned every hand but it seemed unsustainable even with a SB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom