Tourney Pre-buy Tourney Questions (1 Viewer)

Dodger

Flush
Reaction score
In a pre-buy tourney, my understanding is that each buy-in comes with an initial starting stack, and a rebuy chip (or stack) of same value that is put in play at a later time. Upon losing the initial starting stack, the player can use the previously bought rebuy to continue playing. Unused rebuy stacks become add-ons at a scheduled cut-off point.

Example: 10K Starting Stack; 10K in reserve for rebuy, or add-on if rebuy is unused.

For those TD's who like to keep stats or run a league, do you consider losing the initial stack a knockout/bust? Is the 10K reserve stack being considered a rebuy even though no new money was used to purchase the stack? If used as an add-on, are you marking that as a player add-on for stats purposes?

Thoughts?

The original starting stack size and the pre-buy stack size are not always equal.

Similarly, the pre-buy stack size and (if not used) the add-on stack size are not always equal, either.

One local league here uses 25k / 15k / 20k sizing for initial / pre-buy / add-on stacks. Another uses 20k/20k/25k. Yet another uses 15k/10k/10k, and several others use 20k for all three stacks. The first two variations essentially serve as built-in penalties for busting early (or aka being rewarded for not busting early).

It all depends on the specific goals and rules set forth by the organizer.

Personally, I've never seen the loss of the initial stack considered a knockout (because the player still has pre-bought chips at their disposal) in a pre-buy event.

Thanks for the extra info. Didn’t think about different starting/pre-buy stack sizes, but absolutely makes sense.

Personally, I've never seen the loss of the initial stack considered a knockout (because the player still has pre-bought chips at their disposal) in a pre-buy event.

I was leaning this way as well. Appreciate the reply and your thoughts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom