First Table Build - Tools Needed? (1 Viewer)

Thanks, @Bill! :tup: :tup: I'm pretty proud of myself with this rail... even though it took a complete f*ck up for me to get to this point.

I'm just glad that the hard part is over... excited to put on the layout and legs now!! :D
Looks great. Nothing like the satisfaction of creating something out of raw materials.

Tell the truth, now...... how many minutes/hours have you wasted so far just looking at and admiring your handiwork? :)

Looks great! Awesome work!
And I just love the look of suede on the Rail. Would use it on every table I build.

I'm already planning another build in my mind, and was thinking about using Whisper Vinyl for the rail But with how sick the suede turned out, I think I'm using it from here on out! :tup:

I'm already planning another build in my mind, and was thinking about using Whisper Vinyl for the rail But with how sick the suede turned out, I think I'm using it from here on out! :tup:
Can you post pics of my tables? I'm dying over here.

Thanks, Craig!!!

Seriously though... Suede is the tits. I'm hooked on this material. Next build... black.
Where did you get the suede? Can you mail me a sample of some scraps? Happy to pay shipping. You'll have to let me know after playing on it if your arms get sweaty. That would be my only fear.

Where did you get the suede? Can you mail me a sample of some scraps? Happy to pay shipping. You'll have to let me know after playing on it if your arms get sweaty. That would be my only fear.

Got the fabric from a JOANN's here in Denver. And don't get me wrong, I have very real long-term/durability concerns with it as well. And I'll report back after the first game on it. Stains/spills are also a very real concern. Whisper Vinyl is for sure the smarter choice.

But sometimes...

form
--------
function

Right?

PS: Can definitely send you a sample. PM me your address. I have about 4 other PCF packages I need to ship out. I can throw yours on the heap!

Last edited:
I've played on @Payback's table with a suede rail for years, averaging 3-4 days/month, before I moved away. IMO suede is every bit as durable as Whisper vinyl, if not more so. Re sweaty arms, that's an issue with vinyl, not suede. Suede breathes, vinyl doesn't. If I ever get another table or redo my rail, I'm definitely getting suede.

Also... FWIW... I found the suede to be very forgiving during installation. I was repeatedly warned about the difficulty of stretching the inner staple edge of the rail, but that was actually the easiest part for me. All of the triangle flaps just kind of fell into place for me, with no risk of tears exposing the plywood frame.

Granted, it took me a TON of time to get the outer edge done right and to my liking. The stretch of the suede was very difficult to get consistent. And even then the bunching around the outer curves is almost non existent, and easy to manage when it does crop up. But once it was all done, the inside edge was a breeze by comparison.

To put some numbers on it, the outside edge took me about 4 hours with quite a few 20 min. breaks thrown in there to give my hands a rest, and quite a bit of re-stapling and fine tune adjustment. The inside edge took me about an hour, with no breaks needed at all, and only a few staples pulled and redone.

Last edited:

Only two steps left... legs and layout.

And since I was really wanting to wait and apply the foam/layout as the very last step, I will have to wait until the table legs arrive to proceed.

Sucks. But no updates until Monday 1/13.

1578621603743.png

:tdown:

PS: If I get super bored this weekend I may install the foam/felt anyway.

I was bored, and decided to work up comfy vs. tight seating capacities for various table sizes based on my old theatre seating/design guidelines...

1578672448961.png

The build I'm doing in this thread is 84x44.

You could theoretically go to 19.5" wide for "very tight" spacing, but that's not fun for anyone.

Last edited:
I was bored, and decided to work up comfy vs. tight seating capacities for various table sizes based on my old theatre seating/design guidelines...

View attachment 390209

You could theoretically go to 19.5" wide for "very tight" spacing, but that's not fun for anyone.

I find 9 players to be the absolute max I ever want to have seated at one table but am now curious to try playing at a 12 handed table. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I find 9 players to be the absolute max I ever want have seated at one table but am now curious to try playing at a 12 handed table. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

In my 6-7 years of hosting I've only ever run a 12-handed game one time, and that was when I had more people show up than I had anticipated. It was only for a couple hours, and it was on a full size 96x48 table... and in all honesty, in wasn't awful. But it wasn't great either.

I've regularly run 9 players + 1 dealer at our final table on 96x48 very comfortably, and have also accommodated 11 cash players when too many folks show up. 10-11 players is definitely workable on a full size table. That being said, I will admit that 12 was pretty tight and not fun... everyone is crammed in, and a single orbit takes for friggin ever. :mad:

Last edited:

View attachment 390209

Ugh, those pesky, full-table, 10.6 player tournaments. I usually end up bubbling in 3.35th place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom