First Table Build - Tools Needed? (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I'm starting my first table build over the holidays, and can snag one or two new tools to assist in the project... if I really need to.

I have a good setup of tools, including a jigsaw, drills, drivers, sawhorses, straight edges, angles, etc.

I guess what I'm getting at is... do I really need a router? Anything else critical/necessary?

PS: I'm already planning to buy an electric staple gun. So that one is on the list!

I would never want to do a rail without this stapler again. I would buy a 2nd just to have on hand if Amazon were not 2 days away.
I used every stapler under the sun prior and staple issues are now non-existent. I don't think I pull 2 staples out, because they are F'd up, on any rail I do any more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SBC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
What would you say for refelting but not rerailing? I’m about to make the plunge but didn’t expect I needed more than low end Home Depot pickup. Think it’d still be important?

Edit: apologies for the hijack, @justsomedude . Looking forward to seeing it progress!

I don’t think a router is necessary. Any imperfections from using a jig saw are well hidden by padding. Just buy some good jigsaw blades and change them out as they start to dull. Using a router requires multiple passes if you’ve got 3/4” ply, so it takes longer. If anything, I’d say cut with jigsaw then hit it with a roundover bit with a router.

That being said....you can borrow my router if you’d like. I have the necessary bits and a circle jig that I think will be big enough for your needs.

What would you say for refelting but not rerailing? I’m about to make the plunge but didn’t expect I needed more than low end Home Depot pickup. Think it’d still be important?

IMO
The problems I had with any electric stapler were with them driving evenly and consistently. I pulled so many back out because they were F'd up/bent/broke/part way in/etc.
Not sure if they just didn't have the power or what, but that Porter Cable is like driving into butter. Makes the job so much faster and less frustrating.

Re-felting isn't as much a PITA as the rail so it is more tolerable if it takes more driving and pulling. Plus $100 for a 1-time use, if that is all you need, may not be very cost effective.

I would never want to do a rail without this stapler again. I would buy a 2nd just to have on hand if Amazon were not 2 days away.
I used every stapler under the sun prior and staple issues are now non-existent. I don't think I pull 2 staples out, because they are F'd up, on any rail I do any more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SBC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! I have a compressor, so I'll snag one of these at HD this weekend! :tup:

Reactions: 72o
Because we all know you will have cup holders in the rail right?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Maybe you should ask what everyone's opinion on that is :banghead:
But seriously, are you going to put cup holders in the rail?

Haven't decided yet. I WANT to, but it seems like it complicates the build a bit. Haven't finalized that aspect yet.

The only use I have found for the leftovers :)

20181215_225519762_iOS.jpg

A small router is not very expensive and was very helpful in rounding off the top edges of the rail. I wouldn’t want to have those sharp corners myself.

Also, I totally F’ed my arm while stretching and stapling the vinyl. It was actually pretty scary because I need my arm for work and support my family. I would get a pneumatic staple gun if I did it again, which I will never do.

You definitely need a pneumatic stapler, but you don't have to break the bank. I've used this Harbor Freight 20 ga wide crown for two tables and two fabric topped ottomans. Not a single glitch or jam.
20191218_112727.jpg
20191218_112715.jpg

Looks like they've changed the sku# since I bought mine. https://www.harborfreight.com/20-gauge-wide-crown-stapler-68029.html

You don't need a router if you can cut a fairly steady arc with a jig saw. But if you go with a router you will need a plunge router, the arcs are cut in several increasingly deeper passes. When you shell out for a decent router (don't trust Harbor Freight with things that spin at 32,000 RPM) you'll be glad you saved $$ on the stapler

A router, while not essential, makes life so much easier. Especially when doing raised rails, flush trimming is a breeze. Well worth the money as they're so useful for many things.

A circle jig is not required - you can make one with a nail and some 1/4" plywood.

But I would never build a table without a pneumatic stapler. You don't need to spend much money - I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLZZSN2

You definitely need a pneumatic stapler, but you don't have to break the bank. I've used this Harbor Freight 20 ga wide crown for two tables and two fabric topped ottomans. Not a single glitch or jam.
View attachment 381646View attachment 381645

Looks like they've changed the sku# since I bought mine.

You don't need a router if you can cut a fairly steady arc with a jig saw. But if you go with a router you will need a plunge router, the arcs are cut in several increasingly deeper passes. When you shell out for a decent router (don't trust Harbor Freight with things that spin at 32,000 RPM) you'll be glad you saved $$ on the stapler

NICE! I'm all for Harbor Freight.

And I think I'm going to freehand with a jigsaw. Trying to keep it simple.

After building two of my own, as much fun? as it was - I will be paying someone to do the next two. At least the cuts.

Been using this stapler from YAT for about 15 years.

https://www.yourautotrim.com/ezetcstgun1.html

code SCOTTKEEN for 15% off.

My first table was cut with a jig saw. Worked ok but not great. Then I bought a router And a circle jig. Wow! What a difference. Worked so well I bought a second router so I didn’t have to take the circle jig on and off. Worth very penny.

I didn’t have to buy any specialized tools, as I already had a jigsaw, sander, etc. It’s pretty straightforward once you visualize and grasp the steps.

The only really difficult and frustrating part IMHO — the first time, anyway — is stretching and stapling the rail.

If I build another one, I might go to to an art supply store and buy a canvas stretching tool and see if that helps. These are used by artists to pull canvas snugly over stretchers. I don’t know if anyone here has used these for stretching leather, vinyl or fabric on rails, but they aren’t expensive and might be worth a try:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/fredrix-premier-canvas-pliers/

8328C547-957D-4D7F-A469-7F228D9F8FF1.jpeg

Basically these let you get a good grip on 3-5” of material horizontally to give it the right amount of tension before stapling.

Last edited:
I think I've settled on 80"x42" tables.

That should provide just a bit more room than the 48"x96" tables I have. It's not a ton of extra space, but it should be enough to make it no so damned cramped (like it is now when running all 3)...

1576704304410.png

Hmmm... Not to be a downer, but I wonder if nine players at 80 x 42 are going to be cramped. Maybe try cutting the shape out of paper/cardboard and laying it on the floor with chairs to see. I’d rather seat 7-8 at a table like that. But then, I think 7-8 is a better game, anyway.

Hmmm... Not to be a downer, but I wonder if nine players at 80 x 42 are going to be cramped. Maybe try cutting the shape out of paper/cardboard and laying it on the floor with chairs to see.

I'm basically stealing @ruskba's dimensions. I've played with 9 on his 80x40 table a few times and it was pretty cozy. :tup:

I didn’t have to buy any specialized tools, as I already had a jigsaw, sander, etc. It’s pretty straightforward once you visualize and grasp the steps.

The only really difficult and frustrating part IMHO — the first time, anyway — is stretching and stapling the rail.

If I build another one, I might go to to an art supply store and buy a canvas stretching tool and see if that helps. These are used by artists to pull canvas snugly over stretchers. I don’t know if anyone here has used these for stretching leather, vinyl or fabric on rails, but they aren’t expensive and might be worth a try:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/fredrix-premier-canvas-pliers/

View attachment 381673

Basically these let you get a good grip on 3-5” of material horizontally to give it the right amount of tension before stapling.

I bought these thinking the same thing but I don't like them. YMMV
On a raised rail there isn't really enough material to grab and even so I just get a better "feel" for the consistency doing it by hand.

I bought these thinking the same thing but I don't like them. YMMV
On a raised rail there isn't really enough material to grab

As far as the material to grab, I was thinking the way to go would be to use extra material to get a grip, then trim it once it was stapled down.

and even so I just get a better "feel" for the consistency doing it by hand.

You might be right there. Though I did find these tools handy when stretching canvases.

NICE! I'm all for Harbor Freight.

And I think I'm going to freehand with a jigsaw. Trying to keep it simple.

The first table I ever built (before I owned any tools of my own), I think I free-handed the entire thing with a circular saw. I haven't seen that table in a long time, but I don't recall any flaws showing after it is covered with foam/felt/rail.

That being said, a circle jig is ridiculously easy to make and will increase the ease and precision of your cuts. I'm about function over form, so this might burn some builders eyes, but again, SUPER EASY to make. And just drill a new hole to pivot on for different sized tables. You can see I've used this one for 3 different sizes.
IMG_3342.jpg

I've built 6 tables that I can remember, and have used a manual stapler with 1/4" or 3/8" staples with out any major issues. Sure, there are always a few staples that need to be pulled, but not enough to drive me to buy electric/pneumatic.

For the rail edges, I just knocked them down with an angle grinder/sanding disk. The upholstery covers up any minor lack of uniformity.

If I trusted my skill to make something truly nice, I'd invest in all the toys. But for what I'm shooting for, I'm happy with the results:
IMG_3230.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom