First Table Build - Tools Needed? (10 Viewers)

Another key to smooth rail builds is how (and in what order) you staple the outer edges.

Start with the center of one long side with a couple of staples, then the opposite side with a couple of staples (stretch first), then the center of one curved end, then the center of the other end. Then pick a center spot between two of your stapled points and stretch staple a couple there, repeating the process where you always pick a new staple spot that is half the distance between the longest stretches of non-stapled material.

Once you have all the staples in place, then make your center cuts -- make sure you leave enough uncut material to wrap up the inner diameter of the rail (you can also cut more/deeper later, but you can't undo cuts).

Staple the inside just like the outside -- hit four spots first, then start filling in. Never staple more than an linear inch or two at one time -- always alternate sides -- that's how you prevent huge wrinkles and folds from occurring.

Another key to smooth rail builds is how (and in what order) you staple the outer edges.

Start with the center of one long side with a couple of staples, then the opposite side with a couple of staples (stretch first), then the center of one curved end, then the center of the other end. Then pick a center spot between two of your stapled points and stretch staple a couple there, repeating the process where you always pick a new staple spot that is half the distance between the longest stretches of non-stapled material.

Once you have all the staples in place, then make your center cuts -- make sure you leave enough uncut material to wrap up the inner diameter of the rail (you can also cut more/deeper later, but you can't undo cuts).

Staple the inside just like the outside -- hit four spots first, then start filling in. Never staple more than an linear inch or two at one time -- always alternate sides -- that's how you prevent huge wrinkles and folds from occurring.

Excellent write-up.... THANK YOU!

I've already had a few people scold me for cutting out the inside material too soon. Ugh. Some of us have to learn the hard way (ie, by spending more money). Gonna grab a coffee and go for attempt #2 in about 30 min.

I probably won't post any updates... unless I succeed. :x

Oh wow, THANK YOU!

Here we go...

882A1F24-CA1E-4359-8D7C-B4163210C9A3.jpeg

@Tommy perhaps a sticky for table building construction tips like this would be helpful in the poker table forum.

I've been meaning to put together a quick thread with links to these various "how to" threads (kind of like what we had over at Keen's & PCF), just haven't gotten around to it.

I don't know if it's been posted in here, but I think something that most people underestimate which leads to some sloppy rails, is how hard you have to pull. If your knuckles aren't bleeding when your done, you didn't pull hard enough.
+1000

For sure, I told him, max effort pull for every staple. Full body workout by the time you're done.

I don't know if it's been posted in here, but I think something that most people underestimate which leads to some sloppy rails, is how hard you have to pull. If your knuckles aren't bleeding when your done, you didn't pull hard enough.

I agree... this is not stressed enough. @markleteenie gave me the “must pull full strength with every staple” warning, and I took it to heart.

It's a workout, and I’m stopping after every small section to give my hands a rest. My fingers are sore as f*ck.

Hard isn't as important as consistent. (lined that up for the out of context thread). Yes you want to make sure you're pulling it tight, but if you pull the bejesus out of some spots, and not quite as tight in others, it'll look a lot worse than if you pulled consistently but a tad less throughout.

Your fingers and hands will hurt by the end (I always have advil and a scotch waiting), but I'd stop short of bleeding lol

Hard isn't as important as consistent. (lined that up for the out of context thread). Yes you want to make sure you're pulling it tight, but if you pull the bejesus out of some spots, and not quite as tight in others, it'll look a lot worse than if you pulled consistently but a tad less throughout.

Your fingers and hands will hurt by the end (I always have advil and a scotch waiting), but I'd stop short of bleeding lol

I took that as one of the main lessons of “max pull every staple.” If you’re maxing out every staple, the stretch should be consistent. Theoretically.

I took that as one of the main lessons of “max pull every staple.” If you’re maxing out every staple, the stretch should be consistent. Theoretically.

Theoretically yes, you'll likely just need to take a lot more breaks (which sounds like what you're doing). Otherwise max pull on pull #1 won't be the same as pull #300, unless you're....

1578248899172.png

Definitely. I remove more staples to adjust tautness for waviness more than I do for wrinkles. But I also find that if the vinyl is tight enough at the end, I can remove a couple staples and "pull out" any minor wrinkles.

^^THIS. You don't necessarily have to pull at maximum possible torque. Much better to pull at 90% on every.single.pull. Consistency is key.

Outer edge stapled and looking NICE!

Done for the day. Got a gig I need to get to. Inner staples, legs, and surface will be next weekend.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

View attachment 388328View attachment 388330
Oh, and don't trim the outside pull fabric until you're completely done with the rail, just in case you need to pull staples and re-adjust. Oops.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom