Favorite Set of Cards to Play With (2 Viewers)

I'd recommend to stay away from KEMs they warp really badly, my new favourites a Desjgn check them out fantastic cards!
I don't feel like perfect card exist but based on experience with major brands I think there best cards per dolar spent. Equally good quality for me are Fournier but I hate design and they easy to mark with nails. Plus I have never used Design cards. MANY GOOD OPINIONS ABOUT THIS CARDS HAVE BEEN SAID AND I LOVE DESIGN OF THEM. MAYBE I WILL STAND CORRECTED, TIME WILL TELL. Plus I have some KEMs from pre USPC time, and I prefer them to contemporary decks.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Just signed up today (thank God there are more people like me, I thought I was the only weirdo who cared about card feel and what chips we use)!

We play using Jumbo Index Plastics (and while we have a dealer I am usually stuck shuffling the second deck).

I live in a tropical climate so resistance to warping is a big deal for me. I find that cards with individual boxes survive better than the dual packs you get with Kem, Copag and Modiano etc.

My favorite cards are -

1. Modiano Platinums - I know there is a semi ban on this forum but these have the best feel for me bar none. I have Kems and Copags but no Desjns yet. The biggest weakness is price and the tendency to fade fast. Easy to shuffle and gentle on the hands.

2. Dal Negro Freedom X - Can't find them anymore but they are near perfect in feel, slightly slipperier than Modiano PAs. I don't dare use these too much so I have no feedback as to durability. Also very nice to shuffle.

3. Bullets - No reviews anywhere on this site. This seems to be a german brand or at least tries to look that way. Great feel and bright colors and card fonts. Durability wise it outlasted my Modiano PAs but not that much, but given that it is significantly cheaper I call it a win. It is a little stiffer than the 2 cards above so it can give you a bit of chafed hands by the end of the evening. No warping but maybe thats because each deck has its own paper box.

4. Copag EPOCs - If they were standard faced cards and jumbo indexed these would be at the top of my list. These cards have the most paper-like feel I have ever used. No feedback on durability yet but it is totally resistant to warping.

5. Bicycle Duraflex - These are the ones you usually see on Amazon. Again, I would rate these higher than the Bullets if it had a jumbo index. Feels great due to the finish and while stiff, it shuffles well. And if you don't get a jumbo index, then you at least get the Bicycle design we all grew up with. Oh, I ordered the jumbo indexed ones that Fournier made and are usually sold in Europe from eBay and they are a far cry. Nice design but the cards are so thick they are a pain to shuffle.

I have a couple of Ice sets coming soon. Funny, I haven't seen any reviews on these as well.

Cheers, all!

Right...forgot of Modiano Platiniums....expensive but great cards....thanks

Anybody want to fill a guy that's been away for a little while in on what happened with modiano? Point me to a thread or something, I thought they were a favorite of a lot of people not too long ago.

And as far as the topic, the bicycle prestige are by far the favorites of people I play with. Every once in a while I like to bring out something different but everybody starts asking where the "other" cards are. Lol

Anybody want to fill a guy that's been away for a little while in on what happened with modiano? Point me to a thread or something, I thought they were a favorite of a lot of people not too long ago.

And as far as the topic, the bicycle prestige are by far the favorites of people I play with. Every once in a while I like to bring out something different but everybody starts asking where the "other" cards are. Lol
Bicycle prestige have nice feel but the y wear off so fast ....had them once never to buy them again

Bar none, without question, these are 100% my favorite cards: Dal Negro Grand Slams - Bridge size - Standard index
(and I would seriously consider trading my first born if I could actually find more!!! Hahaha)
DalNegro.JPG

There’s a poker size set up on eBay right now for $15
Thanks for the heads up! Those would be the "Torcello"... I actually have 2 setups of those, but after using bridge size cards for the last couple of years, I kinda really don't like poker size anymore. Although, IMO $15 is a pretty good price. At least I'd be satisfied paying it!

... Just double checked eBay... if these are the ones you are referring to, those are "Freedom" :)

Thanks for the heads up! Those would be the "Torcello"... I actually have 2 setups of those, but after using bridge size cards for the last couple of years, I kinda really don't like poker size anymore. Although, IMO $15 is a pretty good price. At least I'd be satisfied paying it!

... Just double checked eBay... if these are the ones you are referring to, those are "Freedom" :)
Yeah, those were the ones. I also agree....bridge size only for me!

I’ve played with Kems for close to 20 years. There is a myth that when USPC bought them the cards changed and got worse....thinner more apt to warp, etc. This is nonsense. My pre and post USPC Kems feel the same and both will warp if not stored properly.

The only difference I’ve been able to detect is around 2011 the card stock got a slightly rougher texture. This was a good five years after the acquisition. I actually prefer it and feel the current Kems are the best ever IMO.

Bicycle prestige have nice feel but the y wear off so fast ....had them once never to buy them again

Same here., at least the Poker size ones. Remember using one of the new decks for our game, and after that night I noticed plenty of cards had a good bit of wear. Never seen that in my 2016 WSOP Copags. Been playing with them for almost a year now and barely and wear. Not playing on a speed cloth helps too.

However, the bridge sized Prestiges still hold up well too. Not sure how the OP hasn't found them in bridge size, Jumbo index since they only have Jumbo for bridge on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Prestige-Playing-Cards-Pack/dp/B00BXX95UO?th=1&psc=1

I’ve played with Kems for close to 20 years. There is a myth that when USPC bought them the cards changed and got worse....thinner more apt to warp, etc. This is nonsense. My pre and post USPC Kems feel the same and both will warp if not stored properly.

The only difference I’ve been able to detect is around 2011 the card stock got a slightly rougher texture. This was a good five years after the acquisition. I actually prefer it and feel the current Kems are the best ever IMO.
I see difference in feel, grafics font and colour of faces. They even bend the other way around not horyzontally but through shorter side. I have Club version and they feeel rougher as you said

I see difference in feel, grafics font and colour of faces. They even bend the other way around not horyzontally but through shorter side. I have Club version and they feeel rougher as you said
Ink color did change a bit but I’m not sure if that was before or after the merger. My very first set was jumbo index poker sized and they warped worse than any Kems I’ve ever seen. Probably around 2001 manufacture. After I realized bridge cards were better I bought a set of those with regular index. ....2003 manufacture. They remained dead flat with no special storage. Both made well before the merger with USPC

KEMs are my favorite, though I have yet to try them all. Copags and Bicycle Prestige are too slick by comparison. Had a good deck of modiaNO cards I got free, but they can go pound sand no matter how good their cards are.

@Phyffe sweet post man! Happy Dura aflex made your cut! :tup: View attachment 312758

Bicycle Dura Flex for me!

I just love the cool boxes for each individual deck. The boxes are color marked too...

Hey, Jeevan.

Yeah, love their individual casing. I just wish they made them in Jumbo index as well. Someone posted they tend to fade but from experience the cards with those thin black boxes on their fronts are the ones that show wear first, specifically along those lines. Soooo jealous about you getting em in bulk!

`I also got my delivery of -

1563774728232.png

1563774804598.png

Hoyle's Plastic Jumbo Index - WORST. DECK. EVER. I wish I was able to read the "Made in China" on the side of the box from the pic before I ordered em. Zero Texture and they have some sort of static cling that makes shuffling them a godawful mess. Poor face design as well.

Ice Plastic Regular Index - Also made in China but to a much higher standard. Nice design, specially the backs. The problem was they felt SO STIFF. This must be what the Faded Spades must feel like. They are gonna be a pain to shuffle but they should last if their faces dont fade. I don't see this as being a hit with my poker group but since I ordered 2 setups I gotta use at least 1.

I think I have read through this thread a few times. I have Kems and Copags now, but will be taking some other suggestions from this thread as well moving forward. I might order some of the Desjgns next, as it seems they are a consensus favorite. I also have a lot of the other suggestions from this thread in my Amazon shopping cart as "saved for later", so I can think on those as well. Thanks everyone. :)

Oh, I ordered the jumbo indexed ones that Fournier made and are usually sold in Europe from eBay and they are a far cry. Nice design but the cards are so thick they are a pain to shuffle.

Are you referring to these?
SmartSelect_20190808-073650_Chrome.jpg

Or these?
photostrip-2019-08-08-1.jpg

Apart from index size, are they both a different "Prestige" than these?
@Phyffe sweet post man! Happy Dura aflex made your cut! :tup:

Last edited:
You never can tell. From time to time they change material stock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom