Favorite Pizza (1 Viewer)

Im from Ottumwa originally.
Where are these places?

All I had was Caseys, Happy Joes, and Breadaux Pizza.

BLT pizza for the win!
I’m in Burlington. We lived in Ottumwa from ‘98-‘03. I don’t remember any decent pizza places.

Anyone here in So Cal been to Tony's Little Italy in Placentia? http://www.tonyslittleitaly.com/

One of my co-workers went to high school with Tony Jr and turned us onto TLI's pizza - their deep dish Chicago style pie? Wow, like the Great Escape moonshine Wow!

It's a good thing I don't live closer to that place!

Definitely some good looking pies and strong arguments. However, I was born and raised in New Haven.

Sally’s clam bianca is number one.

Don’t have any pix handy at Sally’s but do have pix from from Modern and Bar. Additionally, a couple pix of my oldest article of clothing - a 1970’s Sally’s t-shirt.

(And please don’t miss the lobster rolls while in Connecticut! Pic from Seven Seas in Milford.)

412A29FB-E405-462E-ABFC-3BB4FA3B4F0A.jpeg
E38F2C8D-5E55-4C57-87E1-DF7D831C0247.jpeg
27E4AEB7-277E-420E-A12A-1A6795991E3B.jpeg
2A585A28-B89D-4270-B770-E2F1A5292C52.jpeg
3FFDBAA9-193F-429F-83CD-9632ABB4DDDF.jpeg
CE618435-11EF-40E1-B170-145F56643EB3.jpeg

Sally's and Modern before Pepe's?
We stopped there on our way up to visit in laws. It was great. Tried the white clam and tomato pie. Tons of fun.
PXL_20211124_172106705.MP.jpg

Definitely some good looking pies and strong arguments. However, I was born and raised in New Haven.

Don’t have any pix handy at Sally’s but do have pix from from Modern and Bar. Additionally, a couple pix of my oldest article of clothing - a 1970’s Sally’s t-shirt.

(And please don’t miss the lobster rolls while in Connecticut! Pic from Seven Seas in Milford.)

View attachment 891983View attachment 891984View attachment 891985View attachment 891986View attachment 891987View attachment 891988
That shirt is gorgeous. The white pizza, uhh, that’s all you.

Bocce Club Pizza, Buffalo, NY for pizza
Imperial Pizza, Buffalo, NY also for pizza

Bar Bill, East Aurora, NY for wings
Sal's, Depew, NY also for wings

If you get over here, hit those up. You're welcome.

Sally's and Modern before Pepe's?
We stopped there on our way up to visit in laws. It was great. Tried the white clam and tomato pie. Tons of fun.
View attachment 892165
It was a bit weird in the '70's with regard to selecting a favorite on Wooster Street, at least with my group of family and friends. Kind of like Jets or Giants, you selected one. I knew and respected Pepe's as much as Sally's, however, I only ate at Pepe's twice before I was 21 years old and probably 100 times at Sally's - and they are on the same street!

Now, I'd eat at whichever is open and has a shorter line. That being said, a Pepe's just opened two weeks ago in Bethesda (where I've lived since leaving CT) - I'll be going there today or tomorrow. New Haven Apizza.

Another Sally’s t-shirt, from the 80’s! Sally’s had a Flo long before Progressive (and she was much loved by many).

P.S. Sally’s was rumored to be Frank Sinatra’s favorite pie.

BCE7D9B7-B348-4D6E-BDE9-5FF36A0538E6.jpeg
1BA31481-1421-4698-BB16-BF2E0A4942AC.jpeg

Last edited:
No Pepe’s today. Three hour wait for take-out pizza orders, from a Pepe’s branch location 325 miles from Wooster Street.

Thanks internet.

Update: I ordered small clam and small pepperoni pies for an after dinner snack. I’ll pick it up at 8pm. Pics later tonight. Three hour wait, smh.

Bottom line: Tastes like Pepe’s New Haven pizza. Quite good (but not Sally’s).

Pix attached (my 14 year old ate half of pepperoni pie on way back home).

0C8CF39F-798C-4A03-BF17-519FE81581BF.jpeg

08693C8F-2179-4495-8E25-11CF035C746F.jpeg

061D784D-0F28-4C1C-A511-8106697AF22B.jpeg

Last edited:
I know what kind of pizza joe Biden likes !

Attachments

• EFD15C6C-1D25-411A-A2CC-D730B5382806.png
    EFD15C6C-1D25-411A-A2CC-D730B5382806.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 53

View attachment 891983View attachment 891984View attachment 891985View attachment 891986View attachment 891987View attachment 891988
White clam with “mootz” at Modern is one of my all time faves. And yes, I’ve had Sallys and Pepe’s. Love love love Modern Apizz.

Only just finding this thread??? What a great read and a hungering one!!

I’m from New Haven so part of my soul is made of Pepe’s pizza but my by far favorite pizza place is Baba Louie’s in Great Barrington, MA. Amazing sourdough crust and great toppings. Every item on the menu is stellar but my favorite is Ricardo’s Pizza Famosa: Tomato sauce, chêvre, sun-dried tomatoes, asiago, kalamata olives, mozzarella, roasted garlic, basil and parmesan

I’m a pizza purist and of Italian extraction. I’m a huge aficionado of authentic Italian cuisine and strongly believe it’s best it the world. No cuisine has dishes so simple in composition yet so complex in flavor. The further the drift from Neapolitan the less I like it. New York style is the furthest that I crave.

I’ve had “Chicago” pizza many times at some of the most famous places. It can be enjoyable but it’s not pizza and should be called something else. It violates the basic fundamentals of Italian cooking and I’m convinced it was conceived to please the non Italian population of the Midwest :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I’ve had “Chicago” pizza many times at some of the most famous places. It can be enjoyable but it’s not pizza and should be called something else. It violates the basic fundamentals of Italian cooking and I’m convinced it was conceived to please the non Italian population of the Midwest :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Always gets a laugh out of me:

Yikes, you’re freakin me out with that image!!! However, TOTALLY Agree!!! Deep dish = NO

My pizza has to be NY style, thin crust, easy sauce please… crisp and foldable!!! - that way you can drive at the same time!

….except deep dish. If deep dish was a person it would look like this..
View attachment 923294

i agree with your assessment that chicago style "pizza" is not really pizza. but my in-laws often get delivered frozen ones that have the entire layer of sausage at the bottom (lou malnotti's), and those things are fucking DELICIOUS, whatever you want to call them.

i agree with your assessment that chicago style "pizza" is not really pizza. but my in-laws often get delivered frozen ones that have the entire layer of sausage at the bottom (lou malnotti's), and those things are fucking DELICIOUS, whatever you want to call them.
Funny, Justin brought that up at Mo’s game. Yeah I’d like to try that stuff

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom