Favorite Pizza (1 Viewer)

If we are talking comfort food my favorite pizza is the NY style. Not real thick crust but not crispy thin, big slices, foldable, with pepperoni. @slisk250 I grew up on Streets of New York pizza, it’s over near Long Wong’s close to where I grew up. You ever eat there? Them and LaFonda where a staple in my house growing up. :)

Angelo's Pizza in South Philadelphia is my personal favorite, at least my favorite pizza in recent memory.

IMG_2289.jpg

Dunno if I've mentioned this earlier in the thread or not, but we also make grilled pizza at home. Fresh home-made dough, then grilled outdoors in the style of Al Forno in Providence, RI (home of the famous grilled pizza with corn).

Heat your wood, charcoal, or gas grill as high as it will go. Oil the grate. Lay your dough out and cook the first side -- takes about a minute. Pull the crust, flip it over, oil, add sauce, cheese, toppings, whatever. Back on the grill Close the lid and cook for about two minutes, max. Superb flavor!

My father made this a project of his a few years back. He constructed this brick pizza oven from start to finish for our backyard. Build a big fire inside, push it to the sides, and let the pizza cook on the hot floor (believe he used old quarry tile). Always comes out delicious.

B064F295-E108-402F-99B3-532D83068FDB.jpeg

Dunno if I've mentioned this earlier in the thread or not, but we also make grilled pizza at home. Fresh home-made dough, then grilled outdoors in the style of Al Forno in Providence, RI (home of the famous grilled pizza with corn).

Heat your wood, charcoal, or gas grill as high as it will go. Oil the grate. Lay your dough out and cook the first side -- takes about a minute. Pull the crust, flip it over, oil, add sauce, cheese, toppings, whatever. Back on the grill Close the lid and cook for about two minutes, max. Superb flavor!

This is the only way to reheat any leftover pizza too. I'm with Larry on this one.

The "What are you a snob of?" thread inspired me to make this; apologies if there is already a thread out there that's similar.

To me, taste in pizza is subjective as there are different styles. NY, Chicago, Detroit, New Haven, West Coast, Neapolitan all have their pros and cons.

In no particular order, here are my favorites:

Chicago style: Giordano's. I haven't had Peaquod's, Lou's or Gino's, but the Giordano's I've had was excellent. Screw the knife and fork. Go right in on this. Cheese and sauce were really fresh. Crust was surprisingly light, crispy, and not very heavy.

New York Style: Can't beat the local places around me. Not going to rattle them off here as it would directly give away where I'm located, but I'll throw a couple out there:

Spirito's, Elizabeth, NJ: Quintessential old school red sauce Italian restaurant that are sadly getting more and more scarce as time goes on. Still cash only. Refuse to serve you butter with your pre-meal bread, even if you request it. Pizza is out of this world, ravioli's are homemade and just as good if not better.

Santillo's, Elizabeth, NJ: I used to work in Elizabeth so both entries from there. Look up Portnoy's Barstool pizza review of this place. Tells you all you need to know about the place. Take out and delivery only; you're basically walking into someone's side entrance of their house/basement that has a pizza oven and a counter in it essentially. Pizza is brick oven and among the best I've tasted. Get the sicilian (square) style here and ask for it well done and thank me later.

Luigi's, Fairfield, CT: Another no nonsense Italian place but with nice decor for a sit down meal. Their homemade bread combined with some olive oil is an awesome snack. Pizza is just so solid and still at just over $10 for a plain pie.

Neapolitan/fancy pizza:

Houdini Pizza Lab, Fanwood, NJ: No frills brick oven place that uses homemade fresh mozzarella and fresh tomato sauce. My go to when I'm in the area.

Giorgio's, Ft. Lauderdale, FL: Outside of NJ but one of the best pizzas I've ever had. Dough is light and airy and ingredients fresh as can be. When I was last there 10 years ago, I ate a whole 14" pie and still had room for dessert.

New Haven:

Frank Pepe's, Fairfield and New Haven, CT: I've eaten at both locations and the original New Haven location is a bit better than the Fairfield one. Both locations have that crisp, chewy, almost nutty crust that I love. The margherita with fresh tomato or with San Marzano sauce and fresh mozzarella make me drool just thinking about it. Sally's in New Haven is also on my pizza bucket list.

Please add your favorites!
Been going to Spirito’s for 40 years. Sadly I heard they’re trying to sell it. Best chicken Park I’ve ever had by far. Great pizza too and of course they’re home made raviolis.
Santillos is great too, my father grew up in Elizabeth and worked near there and will only eat they’re pizza.

If we are talking comfort food my favorite pizza is the NY style. Not real thick crust but not crispy thin, big slices, foldable, with pepperoni. @slisk250 I grew up on Streets of New York pizza, it’s over near Long Wong’s close to where I grew up. You ever eat there? Them and LaFonda where a staple in my house growing up. :)

Chicago pizza is the best in the world. And Lou Malnati's is the best in Chicago. Don't get me wrong, Pequod's, Gino's, Uno's, all great pizzas. Nothing WRONG with them. But the butter crust and sausage patty at Lou's gives it the edge over any other. It's perfection in a pie.

Pro tip: If you're doing low carb or Keto, they'll flip it around and use the sausage patty in place of the crust. It's kind of amazing.

IMG_CT-ct-italian-sausag_5_1_AS2D5VGG.jpg

The last time I was in New Haven, I had the pizza at BAR — similar in style to Pepe’s and Sally’s, and I thought it was actually nearly as good. Better, in a sense, because there was no wait.

When I was a student there 30 years ago, I thought Modern Apizza was the best of the Big Three, and it was easy to get in; but last time I tried to go, there was a line around the block like Pepe’s. Oh well.

I’ve heard there are some sleeper places a little farther out of town which are awesome, but haven’t found those.

What time will it be ready :wow:

love this thread. BUT i need some help. What are the best pizza options near Atlanta, Georgia?
For authentic NY style (including the rushed/rude counter service), you can't beat the no-frills atmosphere and incredible pies/slices at Rosa's Pizza on Broad Street in downtown Atlanta. Highly recommended.

If craving Chicago style pizza, good luck. Several have tried over the years, but nobody has ever entrenched themselves enough with the locals to maintain a long-lasting business. Only place I'd currently recommend is Rosati's Pizza on Wieuca Road in Buckhead. Very long wait times (typically 40 min for deep dish), but as close as you'll get without a trip to northeast Illinois.

You should not view this thread if you are on a diet lol

Love all types of pizza!

For authentic NY style (including the rushed/rude counter service), you can't beat the no-frills atmosphere and incredible pies/slices at Rosa's Pizza on Broad Street in downtown Atlanta. Highly recommended.

If craving Chicago style pizza, good luck. Several have tried over the years, but nobody has ever entrenched themselves enough with the locals to maintain a long-lasting business. Only place I'd currently recommend is Rosati's Pizza on Wieuca Road in Buckhead. Very long wait times (typically 40 min for deep dish), but as close as you'll get without a trip to northeast Illinois.
Antico is apparently very good for "fancy" pizza, but have heard from some friends that have traveled in and out of Atlanta that it's a bit overrated.

The last time I was in New Haven, I had the pizza at BAR — similar in style to Pepe’s and Sally’s, and I thought it was actually nearly as good. Better, in a sense, because there was no wait.

When I was a student there 30 years ago, I thought Modern Apizza was the best of the Big Three, and it was easy to get in; but last time I tried to go, there was a line around the block like Pepe’s. Oh well.

I’ve heard there are some sleeper places a little farther out of town which are awesome, but haven’t found those.
Zuppardi's in West Haven is one of those places. My friend that lives in the area says it's as good as any other of the New Haven places. It's on my list, for sure.

Been going to Spirito’s for 40 years. Sadly I heard they’re trying to sell it. Best chicken Park I’ve ever had by far. Great pizza too and of course they’re home made raviolis.
Santillos is great too, my father grew up in Elizabeth and worked near there and will only eat they’re pizza.
It probably has to do with one of the original Spirito founders passing away last year. I'm not sure the kids have the energy to keep the place going, especially after they failed a health inspection last year as well.

Santillo's is awesome. I just hope Al starts teaching one of his kids or family members how to use his oven. He's starting to get up there in years.

Magic Fountain is a really solid, under the radar place right across the street from Trinitas where I worked for many years. More of a breakfast and sandwich/salad/burger place for lunch, but they really make a good, solid under the radar pie. I miss their pizza sometimes.

My father made this a project of his a few years back. He constructed this brick pizza oven from start to finish for our backyard. Build a big fire inside, push it to the sides, and let the pizza cook on the hot floor (believe he used old quarry tile). Always comes out delicious.

View attachment 404049
I want to do this one day, but I don't want to build it on my deck and burn it down in the process of using it. It will have to come if my wife and I ever get around to putting in a patio in the backyard where we want to do it.

If you are ever coming through central Iindiana, there are two places worth stopping. North of Indianapolis, pizza shack by the track is a legend. West of Indy, the Mason Inn in Pittsboro has fantastic pizza

Once quarantine is lifted and restrictions on travel are eased and restaurants start to open back up, road trip to Connecticut to get my itch for New Haven style pizza scratched is on the agenda. Sally's, Pepe's, Luigi's in Fairfield are on the list.

I haven't had pizza in weeks. I'm not doing takeout or delivery for as long as we're supposed to be staying at home. No judgements, I'm just stubborn. But as a once or twice a week pizza guy, it's a shock to my system.

I haven't had pizza in weeks. I'm not doing takeout or delivery for as long as we're supposed to be staying at home. No judgements, I'm just stubborn. But as a once or twice a week pizza guy, it's a shock to my system.
I'd say "then make your own!", but flour and yeast have been as difficult to find in the store as toilet paper. Damn people and their hoarding tendencies. I have rapid acting yeast in the refrigerator that has been open for the past year that I hope didn't go flat yet. I have a couple of envelopes of the self-rising yeast used for pizza dough that will still hopefully be good for the next few months.

A local place is selling some of their pizza dough to the public. Just put some sauce and your choice of toppings and you're good to go. Comes out just as good as the pizzeria on my steel at 500 F.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom