Favorite Pizza (2 Viewers)

We also have a phenomenon in Mass, where they have what is called south shore Bar Pizza. It doesn’t sound good, but it is unreal. You can’t get a roast beef sandwich on the south shore like you can on the north shore, but you can’t get bar pizza on the north shore.
Sure, Town Spa, Lynwood, Poopsie’s, and so many others. Growing up on the south shore, it never occurred to me that this was a regional thing.

Quatro’s pizza in Carbondale, Illinois is an awesome pie. Peaquods in Chicago is also very very good but Quatro’s takes the prize for me. My son went to college there and now he has graduated so haven’t had one in a couple years. It’s a four hour drive from my house but I’ve thought about making the drive more than once.

Made a trip to Santillo's in Elizabeth, NJ today

20201219_142113.jpg
20201219_142141.jpg

• My Slice of the Pie Pizzeria in the Phoenix area​

• I travel alot for work and daughters soccer, found this place a few years ago and I make sure I go back every time I am in Phoenix​

Here at Home in Dallas it is easily for me Campisi's

Pizza! Did you say Pizza? We have a pretty damn good Pizza at our Brew Pub. We have reduced our menu to Growlers, packaged beer and Pizza! Not as much business with this Curbside only model but it is able to pay the salaries of the people that we were able to keep on. Unfortunately the Stimulus did not help us much.

Here is our company Freetail Brewing Company

A pic of one of Hand tossed Pizzas! (Borrowed from a twitter post)

View attachment 443238
I will swing by next time in San Antonio......daughetr is at Southwest Texas so I will make a trip

• My Slice of the Pie Pizzeria in the Phoenix area​

• I travel alot for work and daughters soccer, found this place a few years ago and I make sure I go back every time I am in Phoenix​

Here at Home in Dallas it is easily for me Campisi's
Love going to Campisi's I like the Randy Whites.
I can remember going to Vegas and hanging out with one of the Campisi twins. Amber was there with me and a friend for a trade show. She was there as our guest being she was Miss February. Many of the guys kept trying to hang with us at the bar since she was a Playboy Bunny.

Last edited:
How can we be 100 posts in and the Philly Taco has not yet been called out!!??!! Best of the best!!!
64C65983-8B3B-45C7-BAA1-6F54C76C8A55.jpeg

I grew up in NYC for 25 years so new york will always be #1. I grew up eating Leone's Pizza in a suburb of Queens where I grew up. But I don't discriminate nor would I turn down a slice just because it's Chicago or Detroit style. Good pizza is good pizza no matter where it's from. But if you can fold a NY slice and the tip doesn't droop down then you know it's good

I grew up in NYC for 25 years so new york will always be #1. I grew up eating Leone's Pizza in a suburb of Queens where I grew up. But I don't discriminate nor would I turn down a slice just because it's Chicago or Detroit style. Good pizza is good pizza no matter where it's from. But if you can fold a NY slice and the tip doesn't droop down then you know it's good

One thing people do not realize is if you load it with too many toppings the crust does not crisp up as it should. Too many toppings = soggy pizza no matter how long you bake it!
Way the hell too much tomato. If I want a bowl of tomato soup, I'll order a bowl of tomato soup. :vomit: :cool
Yes, I was amazed how little sauce is really needed for a great pizza.

Things I never knew until being in the business!

David

Our local best Neapolitan-style. The hi-tech oven comes to pizza, with a rotating ceramic base inside. I don't want to know how much this costs, but the pies are superb.
IlConteOven3.jpg

Frank Pepe's, Fairfield and New Haven, CT: I've eaten at both locations and the original New Haven location is a bit better than the Fairfield one. Both locations have that crisp, chewy, almost nutty crust that I love. The margherita with fresh tomato or with San Marzano sauce and fresh mozzarella make me drool just thinking about it. Sally's in New Haven is also on my pizza bucket list.
The Frank Pepe's at Mohegan Sun left a terrible taste in my mouth. Service was atrocious--they sent out the wrong pie twice--but good Lord is it a delicious pie. Bad service is probably my biggest pet peeve, but Frank Pepe's is DEFINITELY worth it
New York Style: Can't beat the local places around me. Not going to rattle them off here as it would directly give away where I'm located, but I'll throw a couple out there:
I'm going to say I can beat the local New York Style pizza places around you in *checks notes* New Jersey. Granted, you seem to be North Jersey, but let's slow down with "can't beat" it's not New Jersey Style pizza lol

In Manhattan, no particular order:
Patsy's (the one in Harlem), John's of Bleecker, DeNino's, Prince St. Pizza, and my favorite local slice, a place called Gotham Pizza. They have shops around the city.

In Brooklyn, in a very particular order:
L&B Spumoni Gardens, Di Fara Pizza, Geno's Restaurant in Bay Ridge, and Grimaldi's. Grimaldi's took a hit the last few years quality-wise but the childhood memories keep it firmly on the list.

You will never have a bad experience at L&B.
Houdini Pizza Lab, Fanwood, NJ: No frills brick oven place that uses homemade fresh mozzarella and fresh tomato sauce. My go to when I'm in the area.
Judging by the social media pages, this is the same owner as my favorite pizza place I've ever been to, which unfortunately closed over the summer due to COVID. It was called Houdini Kitchen Laboratory and it was in Ridgewood, Queens--owned and operated by paisans fresh off the boat, it was far and away my favorite pie ever. Might have to go out to Jersey for the sister location

EDIT: left off the last few words lol

i wouldn't call it my favorite pizza, but it's been my favorite homemade pizza for a while now: premade Caulipower brand frozen crust with homemade pesto, mozzarella, tomato, and prosciutto:

IMG_20200903_194201_01(1).jpg

NAP, NAS,...ban hammer should be looming...
Wait? So people can put canned fish on their pizzas but I can’t put the city’s best cheesesteak on a slice of mine? That seems pretty twisted! It’s a good thing it’s Christmas!!!

Tried one of these Beau Jo's Mountain Pies. 5 pound Motherload, says it's Colorado style...whatever the hell that is. Damn good pizza but expensive. Cute box...
019FFC0B-8DBD-44E8-982A-0BC910BDB336.jpeg
9D513163-47AA-471C-985E-188939B0E730.jpeg

I am Chicago born and raised so obviously our pizza is the best, both thin crust and deep dish. But I have a good friend who is nice enough to FedEx me a few pizzas from Mineo’s Pizza House from Pittsburg. I will have to say it is amazing pizza! I’m curious if anyone from the Pittsburg area has even had it before.

C0150B0A-C9E0-4CE7-B395-903D1C8966B3.jpeg

I am Chicago born and raised so obviously our pizza is the best, both thin crust and deep dish. But I have a good friend who is nice enough to FedEx me a few pizzas from Mineo’s Pizza House from Pittsburg. I will have to say it is amazing pizza! I’m curious if anyone from the Pittsburg area has even had it before.

View attachment 609041
@DuffCal i am from Pittsburgh and they are on my top 3 of Pittsburgh. But they are #3. The two I believe that are better than Mineos are Fiorios and Aiellos. There are several other very good pizza joints around Pittsburgh. Mineos is the only one that will ship pizzas though.

@DuffCal i am from Pittsburgh and they are on my top 3 of Pittsburgh. But they are #3. The two I believe that are better than Mineos are Fiorios and Aiellos. There are several other very good pizza joints around Pittsburgh. Mineos is the only one that will ship pizzas though.
It’s was great as usual! The cheese is so different from our pizza here in Chicago. It’s really unique and good. Below is a picture of the ‘zah out of the oven

7F0ACFE5-F4FB-4483-A077-51BAC9A9705A.jpeg

Mmmm...love Giordano’s!

I have three local favorites:
  • A local brewery here has spent grain pizzas. The crust is made from the brewing grains.
  • There’s a coal-fires place that just does pizza right—nice crust, good meats, and a terrific sauce.
  • Napol Restaurant, which is a local institution owned by a Greek family. I don’t think they’ve updated the decor in 40 years. :) The pizza isn’t great, but it’s so great, if that makes sense. Thin, hand tossed crust, cut into squares. Tons of cheese and greasy pepperoni. It’s just perfect.
Note: I live in southeast Iowa, so what the heck do I know about pizza?
Im from Ottumwa originally.
Where are these places?

All I had was Caseys, Happy Joes, and Breadaux Pizza.

BLT pizza for the win!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom