Daniel Negreanu vs Doug Polk (1 Viewer)

Who will win the heads up match?

• Total voters
Nothing turns me off more than stone cold German tournament phenoms.... Buh buh buh boooring.

That's the entropy endgame of No Limit Holdem though. Being personable, gregarious, or non-robotic has no bearing if you flop a set or getting dealt Ace King suited. Since that energy can be put to better use (in the tunnel vision of these high roller tournament grinders) by calculating bet sizing, range estimates, and so on, it just feeds into itself. Since you're able to stack an opponent or be stacked yourself in any given hand, this race to the bottom of non-social behaviour is necessary from a survival/winning aspect in a tournament.

...or is this all a publicity stunt?

"I shift like $750,000 to you, then you lose it back to me."

"People will be watching, how do we do that?"

"One round live poker, then the rest online. We'll just text our cards back and forth. Nobody would ever know" :sneaky:

:cautious:
You’re kidding, right?
They’re playing 25,000 hands.
There must be easier ways to get publicity than to play poker 3 hours a day, 3 days a week for months..

You’re kidding, right?
They’re playing 25,000 hands.
There must be easier ways to get publicity than to play poker 3 hours a day, 3 days a week for months..
Yes, kidding. It was a set-up for "Online Poker is Rigged", but I couldn't finish the joke. :(

That said, we have 12 pages discussing the match, and only one thread discussing any other players unless cheating was involved. So if there is an easier way in a pandemic to get publicity, every poker pro (but one) has missed it.

5 wins in a row is pretty impressive, but until Daniel wipes out the whole deficit and goes up a few hundred thousand himself, I'm not worried about Doug's chances. If Daniel does accomplish that, hats off to him. But all it takes is one good session from Doug to swing the momentum back.

5 wins in a row is pretty impressive, but until Daniel wipes out the whole deficit and goes up a few hundred thousand himself, I'm not worried about Doug's chances. If Daniel does accomplish that, hats off to him. But all it takes is one good session from Doug to swing the momentum back.
ISN’T IT EXCITING!?!?!

ISN’T IT EXCITING!?!?!
1610465154423.png

even tho im rooting for doug, glad daniel is making it interesting and not a 2 mil win. even tho, that would be pretty funny....and there is still hope for that...

Another win for Doug of ONE POINT EIGHT buy-ins!

lolllllllllllll think doug had it right here, sounds like a dude playing 1/2.

the fact dnegs says "ive been playing poker for x years" really shows you how little he has played online. Does he not understand that someone can play online for 5 years and see wayyyyyyyy more hands than someone who has played for 20+? Not to mention a single game vs multiple games (NLH vs mixed).

Does he not understand that someone can play online for 5 years and see wayyyyyyyy more hands than someone who has played for 20+?

I don't think the concept is lost on Daniel, but the application is. He's acting like the beats, missing draws, suckouts (both good and bad), and hand distributions are the same as if you were playing in full ring. This is hilariously flawed thinking and it's something that Doug of course understands FAR better.

I don't think the concept is lost on Daniel, but the application is. He's acting like the beats, missing draws, suckouts (both good and bad), and hand distributions are the same as if you were playing in full ring. This is hilariously flawed thinking and it's something that Doug of course understands FAR better.
said much better than my rambling. I also dont think dnegs is used to playing HU for 25k hands...which yeah, is MASSIVELY different and swingy

Daniel has run bad overall in the cooler department, but complaining about luck during this last session is pretty ridiculous.

i havent followed the hands super closely... but it feels like its relatively even. i mean, isnt this why 25k hands is more or less standard across online challenges? running good/bad should even out over the duration of the challenge. if Dnegs truly believes its all just run bad, why not bump it to 50k hands?

But doug brings up an excellent point, it probably FEELS like he's running bad because doug has the edge. If doug is nickling-and-diming dnegs, and then he gets a cooler river, the emotion of losing piles up into that one cooler river.

and again, this is why i hate dnegs. he just sounds like a baby, and as doug puts it, a 1/2 fish. Complaining about luck, swearing up a storm/flipping out, suggesting its rigged, etc etc. Seriously tho, why is dude so obsessed with dicks?

i havent followed the hands super closely... but it feels like its relatively even. i mean, isnt this why 25k hands is more or less standard across online challenges? running good/bad should even out over the duration of the challenge. if Dnegs truly believes its all just run bad, why not bump it to 50k hands?

But doug brings up an excellent point, it probably FEELS like he's running bad because doug has the edge. If doug is nickling-and-diming dnegs, and then he gets a cooler river, the emotion of losing piles up into that one cooler river.

and again, this is why i hate dnegs. he just sounds like a baby, and as doug puts it, a 1/2 fish. Complaining about luck, swearing up a storm/flipping out, suggesting its rigged, etc etc. Seriously tho, why is dude so obsessed with dicks?
Even Polk has commented that he has had a remarkably good number of run-outs. He said that he expected variance to get him back, leveling out.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for Polk) variance doesn't work like that. Once a big run of unusual luck occurs, it is history. 40 drops of red on roulette does not alter the next 40 spins of the wheel. Polk had a hot run, period. He even admits to it.

I suspect if the run had gone differently, Dnegs would be playing better, as he appears to be very tilty right now. It would be interesting to know how Polk would have handled a similar run of bad luck. Same? Calmly? Refusal to play the optional hands? We likely will never know.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom