Daniel Negreanu vs Doug Polk (3 Viewers)

Who will win the heads up match?

• Total voters
I actually only caught the last ~50 hands or so, which were great. I'm rooting for DNegs. Just thinking about the one hand where the Win/Loss could have been completely flipped if the one person called on the river (trying not to spoil it.......) :)

From Reddit...
Screenshot_20201105_190511.jpg

Saw that, these guys secretly like each other.

get Tony G in there with Hellmuth if you want some drama.
Honestly, I feel like we've all been duped here; starting to think this was all just one big marketing stunt from the get-go. Not even I'm that friendly to people at the poker table — including my friends!

Daniel is a pro who realizes that other peoples' experiences at the poker table directly affect his income. He's accustomed to being pleasant, engaging, giving action, etc. Polk certainly has enough experience as a live pro to know the benefits of these behaviors too.
I'm seriously surprised that anybody expected any different behavior than what we saw last night.

I enjoyed the live match more than most any tv poker I’ve watched in years. Does anyone know if the online match can be watched and where?

I enjoyed the live match more than most any tv poker I’ve watched in years. Does anyone know if the online match can be watched and where?
There will be various people streaming it on Twitch. I believe the official source will be on PokerGo, but others will be streaming it as well, likely on Twitch.

I caught up with the broadcast yesterday, it was nice to see some live poker again. The first 150 hands or so were rather uneventful, was pretty funny to see how nice Polk was being despite his constant shit talking on the Socials pre-game. Hoping the online content is interesting to watch without seeing their holdings.

was pretty funny to see how nice Polk was being despite his constant shit talking on the Socials pre-game
Trolls.

Funny-asshats while safely hidden away behind the keyboard, but in real life are just people.

Personally, I was happier to see them just getting along. If either acted like a real asshole, it would have been unwatchable. I wish our politicians could have watched this match, and realize that you can be civil to your opponents without stooping to name-calling or outright false claims.

Polk for President 2024.

I would have said DNegs for President, but could you imagine some troll going on and on about Negreanu's birth certificate?

It was just surreal seeing the two of them engaged in actual banter. With the amount of contempt they've shown each other in the past, it was just a stark difference to witness that.

As for the match itself, Doug is going to annihilate and Daniel will cry uncle at the halfway mark.

I suspect Daniel will do well, but the lack of conversation with his opponent will put him off his A-game. Then Polk will begin to hammer him using a dashboard.

We already saw who was the better player. Now it's down to the best software.

It was just surreal seeing the two of them engaged in actual banter. With the amount of contempt they've shown each other in the past, it was just a stark difference to witness that.

As for the match itself, Doug is going to annihilate and Daniel will cry uncle at the halfway mark.
I don’t know if Daniel will quit, under very many circumstances. He’s said that since he has friends with money riding on him, he’d feel bad, quitting just to save his own money. More realistically, he’s earned his big ego and he has a lot of faith in his own ability to learn and adapt.
If he’s down by a million bucks after 12,000 hands, I think he’ll want the chance to prove he’s getting better.
If he’s down $3 million at that point, yeah, maybe he’ll feel differently.
It’s a pretty cool experiment.

When does this restart? Live >>> online. Just saying. Polk may win - even crush him - but I think the live portion shows who the better player is

When does this restart? Live >>> online. Just saying. Polk may win - even crush him - but I think the live portion shows who the better player is
Today, in about an hour. But I have no idea how many online sessions will be streamed, or where.

We already saw who was the better player. Now it's down to the best software.

That about sums it up, doesn't it? Doug and Daniel can just dump the entire hand history from a session into their best solver and come up with countermeasures. It translates into a unique metagame between the two of them, but with the help of range calculators and such, is it really the same game as the two of them just played for 200 hands? I would say no.

I don’t know if Daniel will quit, under very many circumstances. He’s said that since he has friends with money riding on him, he’d feel bad, quitting just to save his own money. More realistically, he’s earned his big ego and he has a lot of faith in his own ability to learn and adapt.
If he’s down by a million bucks after 12,000 hands, I think he’ll want the chance to prove he’s getting better.
If he’s down $3 million at that point, yeah, maybe he’ll feel differently.
It’s a pretty cool experiment.

Doug's able to exert his will on the match because aside from the money itself, he has no stature or clout to lose in the poker world. Daniel stands to lose quite a bit possibly if he gets destroyed. Could Daniel adapt? Never say never, there's a reason why Daniel plays as good as he does. But in the online environment, Doug will be able to adjust even faster in the middle of a session.

It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out regardless!

Poker go has 100% announced the online series will be featured on their free YOUTUBE channel. Driving hands free maybe someone can post the link... enjoy!

Here you go. I guess keep an eye on GGpoker’s YouTube page
F95D6ECC-E0AF-4DC2-9D1C-CA97A5FEA229.png

G
That about sums it up, doesn't it? Doug and Daniel can just dump the entire hand history from a session into their best solver and come up with countermeasures. It translates into a unique metagame between the two of them, but with the help of range calculators and such, is it really the same game as the two of them just played for 200 hands? I would say no.

Doug's able to exert his will on the match because aside from the money itself, he has no stature or clout to lose in the poker world. Daniel stands to lose quite a bit possibly if he gets destroyed. Could Daniel adapt? Never say never, there's a reason why Daniel plays as good as he does. But in the online environment, Doug will be able to adjust even faster in the middle of a session.

It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out regardless!
great points but I know first hand 3 million is not a lot to DNEGS. Anybody thinks he quits and wants to bet also DM me. Now booking.

G

great points but I know first hand 3 million is not a lot to DNEGS.
I haven’t seen his bank book. Based on nothing, I’ve guessed his net worth to be $10-15 million. But he’s a poker player - it could be a tenth of that, it could be ten times that - who knows.

I haven’t seen his bank book. Based on nothing, I’ve guessed his net worth to be $10-15 million. But he’s a poker player - it could be a tenth of that, it could be ten times that - who knows.

Daniel hasn't had to pay for anything poker related for the better part of the last 10 years, aside from personal cash games he would play in. I suspect between Pokerstars and GGPoker sponsorships, he's got a net worth of at least $50 million, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was well north of $100M. Doug won't be able to exhaust Daniel's money, only his pride and confidence in his game. Daniel might be able to keep getting up like Captain America saying, "I can do this all day!" and Doug will be more than happy to continue plundering away.

I think many here will be surprised in how well Dnegs does. He is the better poker player, polk is just better with online tools..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom