Daniel Negreanu vs Doug Polk (2 Viewers)

Who will win the heads up match?

• Total voters
Back the money truck up to Doug's place! First session went pretty much as expected, Doug handily erases the deficit from the first 200 hands and is up over $150,000 now!

“In one hand, for example, Negreanu held pocket nines on a 8-9-10 flop and was coolered by the J-7. The board didn’t pair on the turn or river so he lost a full buy-in on that hand.”

Obvious just a Couple coolers that sesh. Anyone wants money where ur mouth is LMK.

I'm curious how many people are choosing the winner based on how much they dislike the other guy.
I voted Polk just because of his experience in the format, but I think it’s going to be really close.

Polk was famously slow to adapt to the solver world, and as such I think he might have remnants of outdated poker lingering around. Negreanu has been able to adapt and excel in multiple eras of poker and very well may have closed the HUNL skill gap

I’m fans of both FWIW

I like Daniel, he’s been an amazing poker ambassador for many many years and I have enjoyed watching him play from the early WPT tournaments and on but I think it’s very likely he’s gonna get his ass handed to him over the course of 25k hands HU vs someone like Doug.

Careful, you're awefully close to becoming political :p
giphy.gif

Fuck Daniel and more rake is better. He's so flipping out of touch from his modest roots. He was able to grow fat off of his Pokerstars / Amaya Gaming sponsorship and just blatantly ignored all the shit of Spin N Gos, bots farming low limit PLO, and the removal of Supernova Elites.

Doug is not the saviour of all that is holy in the poker industry, he's just a guy. A guy that has won tons of money at the very pinnacle of online poker in his prime. But he's not beholden to any one person or corporation. He gave his own take on a lot of poker developments on his now retired Youtube poker channel and he wasn't afraid to call out people on their bullshit. Torelli hiding chips, Daniel's rake statement, Mike Postle's scandal, he put in a lot of time and effort into discussing these, also being entertaining while doing so.

I'd happily have a beer with Doug and talk about a myriad of things with him, poker and non-poker topics.

Can I imagine doing the same with Daniel? Not in the least.

I'm curious how many people are choosing the winner based on how much they dislike the other guy.
I like Daniel more (although both of them have major issues imho - who doesn't?), but I picked Polk to win simply because it's online.

What sense?
I believe his point was that if you increase the rake on low stakes games, you chase away the pros, making the games ore playable for recs. Not exactly "more rake is better" but kind of a "look on the bight side" perspective.

Fuck Daniel and more rake is better. He's so flipping out of touch from his modest roots. He was able to grow fat off of his Pokerstars / Amaya Gaming sponsorship and just blatantly ignored all the shit of Spin N Gos, bots farming low limit PLO, and the removal of Supernova Elites.

Doug is not the saviour of all that is holy in the poker industry, he's just a guy. A guy that has won tons of money at the very pinnacle of online poker in his prime. But he's not beholden to any one person or corporation. He gave his own take on a lot of poker developments on his now retired Youtube poker channel and he wasn't afraid to call out people on their bullshit. Torelli hiding chips, Daniel's rake statement, Mike Postle's scandal, he put in a lot of time and effort into discussing these, also being entertaining while doing so.

I'd happily have a beer with Doug and talk about a myriad of things with him, poker and non-poker topics.

Can I imagine doing the same with Daniel? Not in the least.

It's so funny, it seems if I were to write my assessment, it would be pretty, pretty close to yours above.

Careful, you're awefully close to becoming political :p
Reminds me when they started talking about the "skiing competition" in the live game. :)
Daniel - "I thought the skiing would end in Florida, but the kept skiing in Nevada, in Georgia..."
Doug - "Ah yes, the skiing competition..."

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

What sense?
There are players that play for fun, and there are players that play for profit.

Profit players want to avoid rake at all costs. It's detrimental to their bottom line.

Fun players know they are going to lose money. They are the scratch-off lottery players, the slot machine players. They know they can win big, but most likely will lose. If they have fun while losing, then they consider it the cost of having fun.

That is why I enjoy the sub $100 tournaments in Vegas. They collect a bigger percent of the pot as rake, which keeps the better players out. In return you get rec players. They play more like a drunken home game, where players are there for the fun, not the profit margin.

More rake is better is a fair statement, but it comes with a lot of caveats. The biggest one being that too much rake is also bad. It only needs to be big enough to dissuade players seeking a higher profit margin.

Perhaps a better statement would be "Differing rakes are better."

I believe his point was that if you increase the rake on low stakes games, you chase away the pros, making the games ore playable for recs. Not exactly "more rake is better" but kind of a "look on the bight side" perspective.
Exactly. I don't even necessarily agree with his comment. But it's far from what people called it.

Besides the fact the the higher rake will make it pretty difficult for anyone to be a winning player at the low stakes. Let’s assume the higher rake does chase away the pros wouldn’t some grinders come back to take advantge of the soft competition left? That’s why i don’t think it could be beneficial for the player it will only be good for P*

Bottom line though, more rake is always bad for an individual player's bottom line whether they are a rec or a pro.
Compared to less rake? Of course. But that wasn't the point Daniel was making, though Doug would certainly have you believe that it was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom