Custom ceramics w/ recessed center in U.S. ? (1 Viewer)

Larold

Pair
Reaction score
Is there any US-based shop that will do custom (hybrid?) ceramics with a recessed center? I assume that with a recessed center, artwork goes on a label instead of the ceramic itself?

check CPC website, think they have what ur looking for.
Unfortunately CPC only does clay, not ceramic or ceramic hybrid. They can do the recessed inlay with artwork, but it goes on a label as far as I can tell.

I still ordered a mold sample set and color sample set from CPC. If I like the weight and feel of those, I'll probably build my set with them.

Ceramics are printed with dye sublimation to get the ink on the chip. The graphic is first printed on paper, and then using heat and pressure, the ink is transferred to the chip.
The paper needs to be in contact with the chip, otherwise detail is lost. The recess prevents contact of the paper, so anything in it will be blurry and less saturated. That can also happen in recesses like the cards in the cards mold ceramics.

Unfortunately CPC only does clay, not ceramic or ceramic hybrid. They can do the recessed inlay with artwork, but it goes on a label as far as I can tell.

I still ordered a mold sample set and color sample set from CPC. If I like the weight and feel of those, I'll probably build my set with them.
Here is the sample set of their ceramic chips.

The chip in pic 2 looks like a picture/sticker with a plastic cover, which sounds to be what you want?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 73
Interesting... Tina chips at 2-3 times the price. Maybe printed in the US, but I'd bet the blanks are still sourced from overseas.

While we're talking about ceramics, I got to wondering - with the smooth surface, are they slippery, or does the weight hold them together nicely?

While we're talking about ceramics, I got to wondering - with the smooth surface, are they slippery, or does the weight hold them together nicely?
I know many buyers have complained that the Tina cards mold chips were too smooth and with use, became slippery. I doubt that these ceramics from CPC will be much different, but I have no personal experience with them.

But the more recent hybrid chips from Tina are textured. Here are some great hi-res photos of one of the molds - greek key. You can see the cross-hatching that they incorporated into the molds.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-public-hybrid-mold-from-tina-39mm.112662/post-2321880

These newer molds were developed at the specific request of various PCF members, as you can see if you look at the rest of the thread I linked above. The Tina company seems to be very open to listening to us and trying to provide us with the products that we want.

I know many buyers have complained that the Tina cards mold chips were too smooth and with use, became slippery. I doubt that these ceramics from CPC will be much different, but I have no personal experience with them.

But the more recent hybrid chips from Tina are textured. Here are some great hi-res photos of one of the molds - greek key. You can see the cross-hatching that they incorporated into the molds.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-public-hybrid-mold-from-tina-39mm.112662/post-2321880

These newer molds were developed at the specific request of various PCF members, as you can see if you look at the rest of the thread I linked above. The Tina company seems to be very open to listening to us and trying to provide us with the products that we want.
Do you happen to know if the Sun-Fly Poly Clays suffer from being slippery - either new or after use?

I definitely respect the work I've seen from Tina but for some reason I'm leaning toward Sun-Fly at the moment. Thanks for the help!

Do you happen to know if the Sun-Fly Poly Clays suffer from being slippery - either new or after use?

I definitely respect the work I've seen from Tina but for some reason I'm leaning toward Sun-Fly at the moment. Thanks for the help!
I only have samples, not a playable set, so I can't comment on what happens after they've been played. But they seem to be just as smooth as the older Tina chips. I dislike Sun-fly specifically for several other reasons. Mainly their rounded and shiny edges. I have a write up somewhere that I did a couple of years ago. I'll try to find it.

BRpro ceramics arnt slippery i have some old tikis that are pretty worn, i can send them your way if you pay for shipping. I have no sunfly but have some Cpc ceramics on the way if you want a sample set lmk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom