Custom 43mm ceramics - unsure about texture (1 Viewer)

chiefowl1971

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hello PCF folks!

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have this bad trait of being impatient. So I'm preparing myself for what to likely expect from a set of textured custom 43mm ceramics that I should have soon by asking others on their thoughts with textured ceramics. I was provided a pic of one of the samples and the texture just seems very pronounced to the point that I feel like it is overdone(?).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / opinions.

1704636694730.png

I agree the texture just seems very pronounced to the point that I feel like it is overdone.

I also kinda like it!

I kinda felt the same way when I first seen is it the Regal chips? People seem to love them, try to keep an open mind, once they get some wear on them, they may be just perfect. Don't be too open minded, you don't want your brain to fall out.

Hopefully they are aligned edges?

I kinda felt the same way when I first seen is it the Regal chips? People seem to love them, try to keep an open mind, once they get some wear on them, they may be just perfect. Don't be too open minded, you don't want your brain to fall out.

Hopefully they are aligned edges?
The samples were made with aligned edges.

Not familiar with Regal chips. Can you help me understand?

As a reference here are some pics of a textured set that I have. Zero issues with playability. Agree with Himewad that texture is preferred to address slipperiness.

You are gonna want the texture to reduce the slippery factor.
Yes agree. Guess I was expecting more along the lines of what know from the BRPro set I have. No slip issues with them and nothing that reminds me of....

1704647618842.png

Is the concern about the texture the feel or the look…or both?
Regarding the feel…it’s subtle, not rough. And it gives a friction between chips that is great.
Regarding looks, all photos tend to show the texture MUCH more prominently than when viewing the chips in your hand.

Either way, the texture is very nice.
And….always get samples whenever possible! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Yes agree. Guess I was expecting more along the lines of what know from the BRPro set I have. No slip issues with them and nothing that reminds me of....
I agree with @Colquhoun that getting samples is super important. BRPro chips are designed differently (they are slightly concave) so they don’t need as much texture.

Only saying this to demonstrate that a picture of texture is not enough information to make an informed decision and that you really need to experience the chips in person to judge what you and your players prefer.

This is why one of the most repeated words of advice from this forum is “get samples!”

My thoughts on textured ceramics is that there is no such thing as too much. In close up photos like the ones above, it may look like a lot, but once you have them in your hands, you will very likely not even notice it. At least, not in a bad way. You'll just have chips that aren't as slippery as those that don't have as much texture.

Also, It might help to state who is producing these chips, that way you can get feedback from others with similar chips. If these are from Tina, I can assure you that what you see in those hi-res photos does not follow through to what you feel in your hands. Not to mention what you see.

My thoughts on textured ceramics is that there is no such thing as too much. In close up photos like the ones above, it may look like a lot, but once you have them in your hands, you will very likely not even notice it. At least, not in a bad way. You'll just have chips that aren't as slippery as those that don't have as much texture.

Also, It might help to state who is producing these chips, that way you can get feedback from others with similar chips. If these are from Tina, I can assure you that what you see in those hi-res photos does not follow through to what you feel in your hands. Not to mention what you see.
These are being sampled by Mandy Chips.

These are being sampled by Mandy Chips.
I had an EPT replica set from Mandy and immediately got rid of them as that textured surface made them stack like skating rinks........they were way too slippery. I'm not sure why people say textured reduces the slippery factor as it greatly reduces the surface area of the chips when stacked. I much prefer the BR Pro chips.

Is the concern about the texture the feel or the look…or both?
Regarding the feel…it’s subtle, not rough. And it gives a friction between chips that is great.
Regarding looks, all photos tend to show the texture MUCH more prominently than when viewing the chips in your hand.

Either way, the texture is very nice.
And….always get samples whenever possible! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
So much this. Really is an odd phenomenon. Noticed this earlier today when my photos of CPCs looked like cheese graters. In person texture is understated.

I had an EPT replica set from Mandy and immediately got rid of them as that textured surface made them stack like skating rinks........they were way too slippery. I'm not sure why people say textured reduces the slippery factor as it greatly reduces the surface area of the chips when stacked. I much prefer the BR Pro chips.
I do like how the BR Pro chips feel and handle. But I'm willing to give another source a try.

I think it really depends on your source for textured chips. Some textured chips are fantastic, some not so much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom