New custom set. How should I mix chip sizes in the set? (39mm and 43mm) (1 Viewer)

daschuck77

Two Pair
Reaction score
HALLLLP!

I need to lean on the PCF focus group! :unsure:

Curious on your thoughts on how to mix up my custom set sizing...I am currently sloshing around about 3 different chip size combination options for the set. I started thinking about different options after being kind of underwhelmed with the weight of the 39mm printed art prototypes I received from BR Pro Poker (avg weight/chip was 9.4g, not closer to 10g). These prototypes aren't printed on the rolling edges so I have no clue if that final edge print process adds additional weight to the finalized chip. I had an older set of ABC smooth blank samples (from some time in the 2010's) that weighed 10.3g on average and have a more preferable heft to them. I've since grown to accept and get used to the new prototypes but worry that my player pool, who have little care for the nuance of the chipping game, won't like them because they are not heavier like the cheaper mass market alternatives.

An all 39mm set is not on the table.:tdown:

We mostly will toggle stakes between .50/1 and 1/2

Anyways, some artwork tweeks are ongoing and another round of prototypes will be incoming so I can further evaluate and make final quantity/chip size determinations. Once the art is wrapped up, I will share with the community and hope it's well received!

-----------------------------
OPTION 1 (my initial option)
39mm

Special Challenge coin/golf ball marker chip
25c, 50c, $1, $5, $10

43mm
$20, $100
----------------------------

OPTION 2
39mm

**25c, **50c

43mm
$1, $5, $10, $20, $100

**reasoning here is having a large 43mm frac feels kind of odd and sacrilegious :eek:. Also, with the fracs being a smaller 39mm does give you the vibe you are throwing around a real quarter or 50 cent piece. It makes this set option a little unconventional but kind of unique and appealing at the same time. But, fumbling around a frac and then a 43mm dollar denom in betting may be tricky and annoying to players. Double but, when playing larger stakes, it may also be desirable for the players to have all the chips the same size. My 43mm prototypes averaged in at 11.3g but only have two of them so far. It's still short of the 12g approximation on BR Pro's site in their FAQ.
-----------------------------

OPTION 3 (Sacrilegious option)

39mm

43mm
25c, 50c, $1, $5, $10, $20, $100
------------------------------

Option 4:

39mm chips fracs—>$5s

43mm $20–>$100

47mm challenge coin/golf ball marker

If the coin is used as an actual ball marker, it's good practice that the marker shouldn't be larger around than a standard size golf ball.

Pretty firm on the 39mm coin/marker as it's weight and feel are negligible for the project.

If the coin is used as an actual ball marker, it's good practice that the marker shouldn't be larger around than a standard size golf ball.

If it’s only used as a golf ball marker then that makes sense.

For some reason I thought that particular chip would be on the table during play

Option 5
39 frac and challenge

43 1 / 5

47 20 / 100

This is what all the kewl kids do ... The Icarus (okay my fracs are also 43m)

P.S. I have a ton or too many fracs if you'd like to buy some off me.

Option 5
39 frac and challenge

43 1 / 5

47 20 / 100

This is what all the kewl kids do ... The Icarus (okay my fracs are also 43m)

P.S. I have a ton or too many fracs if you'd like to buy some off me.

I kind of like it's but not cost prohibitive and introduces some weird storage challenges with the 47mm. Also trying to stay kind of close to the design it's inspired by as this is sort of a tribute set.

I wouldn’t call all 43mm a sacrilege. I recently played with all 43mm clays at @sheikh617 game and it was very cool, splashing around, dragging and stacking giant chips. So cool that I’m going to build a set myself - .25 to 100 - all 43mm. That’s my vote.

Second place is option 1

Distant 3rd place is option 2 - I’ve thought about it myself - when we first saw 36mm Paulson clays, it seemed like a cool idea for a relabled frac. But I think that’s like one of those George Carlin ideas - “I’ve got plenty of great ideas. Problem is, most of them suck.” Of all the sets on PCF, I think I’ve seen this done only once or twice.

Do what you like the most

There nothing wrong with either of the options

I had set that is all 39mm or 40mm, set that is all 43mm and also Set with size progressive increase from 39mm to 45mm

36mm size is on my check list next

Last edited:
I think option one is fine and pretty standard among many chippers to have the 43mm chips be the "big" denoms. It'll play just fine. But I will say, there is something special about having a full 43mm set. It's no different than a full 39mm THC set, the fracs aren't any smaller than the $100 in a PCA set for example. My advice is to not go into it with any bias and just try out things until you find something you and your players like. When I had my 43mm's in play everyone at the table was in love with the chips and the way they played.

I think option one is fine and pretty standard among many chippers to have the 43mm chips be the "big" denoms. It'll play just fine. But I will say, there is something special about having a full 43mm set. It's no different than a full 39mm THC set, the fracs aren't any smaller than the $100 in a PCA set for example. My advice is to not go into it with any bias and just try out things until you find something you and your players like. When I had my 43mm's in play everyone at the table was in love with the chips and the way they played.

Definitely an open mind! I have never got enough 43mm ceramics in my hands to shuffle so if it feels great, I will go all the way with 43mm. I definitely can be swayed in that direction.

Out of the choices you listed I'd go with #3.

After being in the hobby for a few I have come to the conclusion I likey chips to match size wise, so if all 39mm is off the table then let's go big!

@daschuck77 , I do this with my sets, and I think you are spot on with option 1 for your game. My game plays a little bigger at times, and really big sometimes, so I went with the following on my new relabel set:

39mm
.50 x 100
$1 x 300
$5 x 300

43mm
$20 ($25 if you want to be boring) x 100

47mm
$100 x 20
$500 x 20

I get a good amount of $20s in and 5 to 10 $100s in on a normal night. Occasionally, I might get 2 to 5 $500s in if the stars align and all the drunk fools show up. Even drunk fools can't say, "damn, I thought that was a $5 chip!" when they toss a $500 chip in. :)

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20220324_080432.jpg
    20220324_080432.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 75
Have you considered 0.50 / $2 / $10 / $50?

No, all denominations are set and not changing. It sounds intrigriguing but again, thinking of my rather primitive player pool's lack of chipping nuance and their basic boring preferences, this would be a concept all the way over their F'n heads.

Last edited:
@daschuck77 , I do this with my sets, and I think you are spot on with option 1 for your game. My game plays a little bigger at times, and really big sometimes, so I went with the following on my new relabel set:

39mm
.50 x 100
$1 x 300
$5 x 300

43mm
$20 ($25 if you want to be boring) x 100

47mm
$100 x 20
$500 x 20

I get a good amount of $20s in and 5 to 10 $100s in on a normal night. Occasionally, I might get 2 to 5 $500s in if the stars align and all the drunk fools show up. Even drunk fools can't say, "damn, I thought that was a $5 chip!" when they toss a $500 chip in. :)

And I forget you're in Fred-Vegas, I need to road trip it back up there soon and mix it up in a game!

Very intriguing idea also, I should definitely revisit and come up with a 47mm $500 chip. The 1/2 games can play much bigger than you think, especially when we mix in some Omaha orbits. This is a custom tribute set and a $500 chip in the chip guide that's closest to the design doesn't really jive with the overall design of the $1-$100 chips. It would need a new design tweak, but I may make that happen down the road.

I will be putting the design files out soon and then would love input on a $500 chip that belongs with the set! :cool

Last edited:
Definitely an open mind! I have never got enough 43mm ceramics in my hands to shuffle so if it feels great, I will go all the way with 43mm. I definitely can be swayed in that direction.
I think you will be happy regardless; I think all roads lead to Rome here, so best of luck!

Those racks are still functional with 47mm chips though? At this rate I am going to have stacks of man hole covers on the table! ;)
Yes. I have a.Winner Club tournamemt set that has 43mm, 46mm, 48mm, and 50mms. This rack works great with all of them. Also, you will notoce that the racks stack on to of eachother, as opposed to the racks stacking on top of the chips below them. They don't touch the chips, but stack great. The only downside is that they are 80 to a rack, so holds 640 chips in a 1000 chip carrier. But fits nicely!!

16577504796505800720793343939428.jpg
16577505171123438022226852136578.jpg

And I forget you're in Fred-Vegas, I need to road trip it back up there soon and mix it up in a game!

Very intriguing idea also, I should definitely revisit and come up with a 47mm $500 chip. The 1/2 games can play much bigger than you think, especially when we mix in some Omaha orbits. This is a custom tribute set and a $500 chip in the chip guide that's closest to the design doesn't really jive with the overall design of the $1-$100 chips. It would need a new design tweak, but I may make that happen down the road.

I will be putting the design files out soon and then would love input on a $500 chip that belongs with the set! :cool
Definitely come on up and play with them to see how/if you like them.

Just a thought for your 47mm (I think they are actually 48mm, but might be wrong) $500.

16577508082963132084124095563814.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom