Covid-19? - should I get tested? (1 Viewer)

I got tested and it took 12 days total including weekends to get results back. I also had a headache and sore throat and results came back negative. I went to a CVS pharmacy.
Same here. Same symptoms (still have them after 3wks) Tested at cvs, took 13 days. Negative.

Get tested, not only for yourself but your family and those around you. Test results around here are taking 4-5 days on average.

And I'd also recommend monitoring you blood oxygen levels if possible (good figertip monitor cost around $30).

I’m not a doctor, and you might really want one, obviously something is wrong even if it’s not covid.

That said, I’ve been careful about NSAID pain med for headaches, there were some news stories (not really that credible) that nsaids like ibuprofen make the covid infection worse

Man Woody, they have quick and slow tests, obviously the fast one is less accurate but the doctors can get you one much faster than walking up...

We just lost a woman I call mama it not my mother, 49 years old mother of 4, slight asthma. Gone wayy before her time!

If you need me to I will drive up and take you myself, this is serious buddy!! And If theres anything Brie and I can help with let's us know!!

Always your chipping buddy Ben

That said, I’ve been careful about NSAID pain med for headaches, there were some news stories (not really that credible) that nsaids like ibuprofen make the covid infection worse

I had heard this as well, but apparently it’s not true. When my wife first got sick we both took a covid test and it came up negative, but when she went to the hospital they were positive that she actually had it and the first couple tests were false negatives. (She ended up having 6 total tests over five days, I had two)

The doctor originally told us to keep her on Tylenol to control the fever, I asked about nsaid danger and she said it was not an issue. I asked again later that week when she had to go to the ER because of fever. Again they told us to keep up on the maximum dose of Tylenol all day, again I asked about nsaids and possible complications if it was Covid but he was not worried what so ever.

And finally when she was admitted to the ICU and they were absolutely sure it was going to be Covid (they just kept testing her thinking it was going to show positive at some point) I told the infectious disease doctor my concerns and how much tylenol she had had over the week and again, they were not worried at all.

Things change daily with this damn virus, but I can tell you that at the very least the doctors up here in the pacific nw are not worried about nsaid and Covid in the least bit and encourage the max daily dosage to control fever.

(side note: I don’t know if any of you listen to podcasts, and more specifically Dan Cummins Time Suck, but he just did an episode on the Columbine massacre and he starts the episode talking about his friend that has Covid and the symptoms he had, they are weird and scary. It’s crazy the way this virus is effecting different people different ways and how it’s mutating over this short time. F*!k this virus.)

Last edited:
I had heard this as well, but apparently it’s not true. When my wife first got sick we both took a covid test and it came up negative, but when she went to the hospital they were positive that she actually had it and the first couple tests were false negatives. (She ended up having 6 total tests over five days, I had two)

The doctor originally told us to keep her on Tylenol to control the fever, I asked about nsaid danger and she said it was not an issue. I asked again later that week when she had to go to the ER because of fever. Again they told us to keep up on the maximum dose of Tylenol all day, again I asked about nsaids and possible complications if it was Covid but he was not worried what so ever.

And finally when she was admitted to the ICU and they were absolutely sure it was going to be Covid (they just kept testing her thinking it was going to show positive at some point) I told the infectious disease doctor my concerns and how much tylenol she had had over the week and again, they were not worried at all.

Things change daily with this damn virus, but I can tell you that at the very least the doctors up here in the pacific nw are not worried about nsaid and Covid in the least bit and encourage the max daily dosage to control fever.

(side note: I don’t know if any of you listen to podcasts, and more specifically Dan Cummins Time Suck, but he just did an episode on the Columbine massacre and he starts the episode talking about his friend that has Covid and the symptoms he had, they are weird and scary. It’s crazy the way this virus is affecting different people different ways and how it’s mutating over this short time. F*!k this virus.)
Well Tylenol/acetominophen isn’t a nsaid...maybe thats why they had her on that instead of aspirin or ibuprofen or naproxen

Well Tylenol/acetominophen isn’t a nsaid...maybe thats why they had her on that instead of aspirin or ibuprofen or naproxen

You’re absolutely right, I just got confused with what the medicines are. She was taking ibuprofen as well, and there was no concern. She actually switched from Tylenol to ibuprofen based on what they recommended at one point and then she staggered the Tylenol with ibuprofen.

Sorry, I definitely screwed that up but the sentiment is correct. They are not worried about nsaid complications and Covid in the hospitals/doctors offices up here right now.

Thanks for pointing that out, I’ll edit my post in a bit, I feel stupid.

I had a video call with my doctor this morning. He was just as confused as the rest of us. He thinks it is a virus and has no idea if it is covid or not. I have now been tested and I wait.

I asked about faster results and he said they use quest labs and it is taking 2+ weeks. He told me to try Rite aid or CVS to get faster results. I went into Rite aid website first and the first available appointment was July 25th with 6-10 days estimated time for results. I then checked CVS and I was able to get tested today with 5-7 days to get test results. However, when I got to CVS they told me they also use quest labs. Not sure if they all use the same labs.

My doctor also told me to use Tylenol to keep my fever down.

Get better soon!! Best wishes to you and your family hope you guys all come out of this episode a-ok.

Guess we're lucky in Minnesota. Most tests are turning around in 2-3 days. I actually went a few weeks ago after being referred by a doctor. I had sore throat and congestion, figured I was going to get a strep test and they told me to do the covid test ASAP, even though I didn't have a fever and I didn't have breathing issues. I was able to get in that afternoon and returned negative the next day. (Was a bit scary when I spiked the fever later in the evening before getting a result.)

But I am glad you went, but I get it's usefulness is diminished with such a long turnaround. I guess you have to play it like you have it until you know for sure. I did that for a day and it wasn't easy, especially keeping the kids away.

Get well soon!
I 'm turning 51 and had similar symptoms (only milder) in the beginning of the pandemic in Greece (late February) and was told there were no resources to test people that young:D and with such mild symptoms.
I anyway quarantined myself, then it went away and I never knew what it was.

I had a video call with my doctor this morning. He was just as confused as the rest of us. He thinks it is a virus and has no idea if it is covid or not. I have now been tested and I wait.

I asked about faster results and he said they use quest labs and it is taking 2+ weeks. He told me to try Rite aid or CVS to get faster results. I went into Rite aid website first and the first available appointment was July 25th with 6-10 days estimated time for results. I then checked CVS and I was able to get tested today with 5-7 days to get test results. However, when I got to CVS they told me they also use quest labs. Not sure if they all use the same labs.

I was going to suggest a strict diet of grapefruit juice and prunes, but I guess talking to your doctor might have been a better option. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Have you considered notifying the people you've had direct contact with over the past couple weeks?

Rest and get well soon!

Have you considered notifying the people you've had direct contact with over the past couple weeks?
Yea, I have been trying to figure that out. I work from home and started quarantine middle of March
places I have gone:
First time leaving the house July 3rd, visited my parents who live in the country and haven't socialized.
went out to dinner July 6th to celebrate anniversary, wore mask except when seated
went to outdoor graduation party July 11th, avoided direct contact with most, nobody wore mask
symptoms started July 20th

Possible exposure July 6th but thinking more then likely at the graduation party on July 11th, seems to fit the time line. I have not had direct contact with anybody since the 11th. So if I was exposed to it on the 11th, have not interacted with anybody since.

I have been fighting a severe headache the last few days. I have now developed a low grade fever, sore throat, body aches, and feel like total crap. No cough and my lungs seem okay, is there any benefit of being tested to verify? I am being told it could take 12-15 days to get results because the labs are backed up. This seems like a waste of time if I have to wait that long. I work from home and have pretty much quarantined myself since march, and I wear a mask when I do leave the house.

Additional information if it matters: I am 52, Diabetic, and I have a wife and two 20-something kids at home. Everybody else is fine
Are you able to taste food, let's say sweets. Because the first signs are that all food have no taste anymore. Take care, stay safe. Jo from Belgium.

Are you able to taste food, let's say sweets. Because the first signs are that all food have no taste anymore. Take care, stay safe. Jo from Belgium.
Great call. When I had it, I didn't lose taste but I lost my sense of smell completely. Losing one sense or another is a pretty surefire sign, especially along with other symptoms. Good luck friend!

I was told by my DR that even if you think you have it until you have some symptoms there is really no reason. Now that was about a month ago but that’s what I was told. I don’t think there is much DRs can due unless you are having a real issue. Hey I am not a DR by any means.

Get well soon!
I 'm turning 51 and had similar symptoms (only milder) in the beginning of the pandemic in Greece (late February) and was told there were no resources to test people that young:D and with such mild symptoms.
I anyway quarantined myself, then it went away and I never knew what it was.
Look into getting an antibody test when they become available. Will tell you if you had it or not.

Guess we're lucky in Minnesota. Most tests are turning around in 2-3 days. I actually went a few weeks ago after being referred by a doctor. I had sore throat and congestion, figured I was going to get a strep test and they told me to do the covid test ASAP, even though I didn't have a fever and I didn't have breathing issues. I was able to get in that afternoon and returned negative the next day. (Was a bit scary when I spiked the fever later in the evening before getting a result.)

But I am glad you went, but I get it's usefulness is diminished with such a long turnaround. I guess you have to play it like you have it until you know for sure. I did that for a day and it wasn't easy, especially keeping the kids away.
We can't even get tested here, unless showing symptoms or administered directly by your doctor (and no doctors seem to have any tests; catch-22).

One of our workers was diagnosed with covid-19 after returning from an out-of-state trip with symptoms. None of the other workers can get tested -- even if exposed to a confirmed case -- unless they also exhibit symptoms.... which seems pretty stupid to me.

Apparently they're just supposed to self-quarantine for 14 days regardless, inflicting unnecessary financial harm on themselves and their place of work or business, when testing could confirm whether or not they are a genuine risk of exposing others.

Quest labs are notorious for being back logged and taking forever. The urgent care facility I got tested at switched to another lab Just before I got tested and I got my results in 48 hours.
Good luck and get better soon!

My professional association (Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists) reviewed the data behind purported NSAID-COVID interactions (as well as other medication classes such as ACE inhibitors and closely-related ARBs) and they have concluded that there is no reliable evidence that these drugs put you at any higher risk for disease severity. It doesn't mean they are right, but I trust them. I went to school with one of the reviewers, and he's one of the smartest analytical professionals I've known.

Look into getting an antibody test when they become available. Will tell you if you had it or not.

Unfortunately, they're still sorting this one out. There's been a battery of antibody tests that have been tried, but there's no great consistency in accuracy between them. The worst one had a staggering 15% average false positive rate. Personally, I would not feel comfortable unless they had one where there is less than 2% false positive (and hopefully more accurate than that).

My professional association (Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists) reviewed the data behind purported NSAID-COVID interactions (as well as other medication classes such as ACE inhibitors and closely-related ARBs) and they have concluded that there is no reliable evidence that these drugs put you at any higher risk for disease severity. It doesn't mean they are right, but I trust them. I went to school with one of the reviewers, and he's one of the smartest analytical professionals I've known.

Unfortunately, they're still sorting this one out. There's been a battery of antibody tests that have been tried, but there's no great consistency in accuracy between them. The worst one had a staggering 15% average false positive rate. Personally, I would not feel comfortable unless they had one where there is less than 2% false positive (and hopefully more accurate than that).
What are you thoughts and what have you found out about the use of Hydroxycloriquin? I have heard it to be very effective if started early. But in the US they are trying to down play it effectiveness for some reason. I believe financial since its widely available and they can't profit off it.

What are you thoughts and what have you found out about the use of Hydroxycloriquin? I have heard it to be very effective if started early. But in the US they are trying to down play it effectiveness for some reason. I believe financial since its widely available and they can't profit off it.

In all honesty, hydroxychloroquine for COVID looks next-to-useless. But the doses they've been trying to push for COVID were insane. No wonder the VA-hospital study showed higher rate of death due to cardiac arrhythmia. Still of value to patients with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Any proven effective and cheap treatment would be a godsend.

From a scientific point of view, I'm much more interested in the early data from the UK regarding inhaled interferon beta in hospitalized patients. Yet-to-be-published, so we can't get too excited yet.

I believe financial since its widely available and they can't profit off it.
Bingo. My mom has been on hydroxychloroquine for 15 years for autoimmune disorders she has. All her doctors deemed it "as safe as it gets" for legit over a decade, when all of a sudden they needed millions of doses of an incredibly inexpensive drug. Remdesevir, the drug they pushed for advanced cases, costs several thousands per dose. Hydroxy costs mere cents.

My mom caught COVID and I'm convinced the hydroxy is the reason she legit had zero symptoms. So are her doctors. She's a senior citizen with a battery of health problems, but she never even broke a fever. It's probably not useful once somebody has symptoms, but there is very likely utility as a prophylactic. A lot of ER doctors/nurses in the city used it as a prophylactic for the first few months. My cousin is a pharmacist, the amount of scripts he filled for doctors was outrageous he said

For anybody that knows, what are the differences in the tests and the reasoning behind how some take longer to get results?

The first test we both tookresults were back to us in about 20 hours. The next 5 tests she took (and one for me) were done in the hospital and all but two of hers, which they sent one to UW Medicine and another to a place I can’t recall at the moment, were back in an hour or two. The two tests that were sent to outside labs (UW and ??) took about 24 hours but they also had courier time involved....

Is it different parts of the country that have more cases and a backlog ? (I thought here in the NW we had a good amount If cases, we’ve done almost 900,000 tests) Is it a different test? Why the almost week long wait times for some people and others it’s hours to one day?

For anybody that knows, what are the differences in the tests and the reasoning behind how some take longer to get results?

The first test we both tookresults were back to us in about 20 hours. The next 5 tests she took (and one for me) were done in the hospital and all but two of hers, which they sent one to UW Medicine and another to a place I can’t recall at the moment, were back in an hour or two. The two tests that were sent to outside labs (UW and ??) took about 24 hours but they also had courier time involved....

Is it different parts of the country that have more cases and a backlog ? (I thought here in the NW we had a good amount If cases, we’ve done almost 900,000 tests) Is it a different test? Why the almost week long wait times for some people and others it’s hours to one day?
Depends on what is available in what part of the country you are in. I am about a ten minute drive from Roswell Park Cancer Institute (they are great for cancer patients but are also more of an experimental facility) and once they decided to open up their facilities for COVID-19 testing we were able to get tests back in hours instead of weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom