Covid-19? - should I get tested? (1 Viewer)

Bingo. My mom has been on hydroxychloroquine for 15 years for autoimmune disorders she has. All her doctors deemed it "as safe as it gets" for legit over a decade, when all of a sudden they needed millions of doses of an incredibly inexpensive drug. Remdesevir, the drug they pushed for advanced cases, costs several thousands per dose. Hydroxy costs mere cents.

My mom caught COVID and I'm convinced the hydroxy is the reason she legit had zero symptoms. So are her doctors. She's a senior citizen with a battery of health problems, but she never even broke a fever. It's probably not useful once somebody has symptoms, but there is very likely utility as a prophylactic. A lot of ER doctors/nurses in the city used it as a prophylactic for the first few months. My cousin is a pharmacist, the amount of scripts he filled for doctors was outrageous he said

I'm sorry, friend, but this is not credible evidence. 40% of people who are COVID-positive may never have symptoms, and even some of those would be senior citizens with a lot of underlying conditions. 80% or more of COVID-positive people will never have symptoms bad enough to warrant hospital evaluation or admission for treatment. I'm very glad that your mother is fine, but it was unlikely to have anything to do with hydroxychloroquine.

How do we know this? Because they data-mined the people they could find that were already taking hydroxychloroquine regularly for other conditions. If it had a true prophylactic effect, then they should have a statistically lower positive infection rate, a statistically lower hospitalization rate, and a statistically lower death rate related to COVID-19. So far, they haven't, and we don't expect that to change, nor should there be a reason for it to change.

I'm sorry, friend, but this is not credible evidence. 40% of people who are COVID-positive may never have symptoms, and even some of those would be senior citizens with a lot of underlying conditions. 80% or more of COVID-positive people will never have symptoms bad enough to warrant hospital evaluation or admission for treatment. I'm very glad that your mother is fine, but it was unlikely to have anything to do with hydroxychloroquine.

How do we know this? Because they data-mined the people they could find that were already taking hydroxychloroquine regularly for other conditions. If it had a true prophylactic effect, then they should have a statistically lower positive infection rate, a statistically lower hospitalization rate, and a statistically lower death rate related to COVID-19. So far, they haven't, and we don't expect that to change, nor should there be a reason for it to change.
Lol I never said it was credible evidence I just gave my .02

Not like I can prescribe the stuff anyway I'm no medical doctor :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

No evidence to support use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID. Known risk of heart arrhythmias. Aka don’t use hydroxychloroquine for COVID.

Edit: Hydroxychloroquine is life changing for many people with autoimmune conditions and it should continue to be used

Quick follow-up - My test results came back negative.

Feeling a little better: still fighting headaches, random temperature spikes, and sugar has been running high. Now that I know it is not COVID-19 I will continue working with my doctor to figure out what is going on.

I have been fighting a severe headache the last few days. I have now developed a low grade fever, sore throat, body aches, and feel like total crap. No cough and my lungs seem okay, is there any benefit of being tested to verify? I am being told it could take 12-15 days to get results because the labs are backed up. This seems like a waste of time if I have to wait that long. I work from home and have pretty much quarantined myself since march, and I wear a mask when I do leave the house.

Additional information if it matters: I am 52, Diabetic, and I have a wife and two 20-something kids at home. Everybody else is fine

I see only upside to getting tested ASAP. Feel better!

Feeling a little better: still fighting headaches, random temperature spikes, and sugar has been running high. Now that I know it is not COVID-19 I will continue working with my doctor to figure out what is going on.

If your symptoms drag on or worsen, please get tested again. Lots of false positives/negatives from testing, and who knows how samples are being handled at the labs due to volume. Had 2 colleagues fall ill just before schools closed, tested negative, felt a little better, suddenly got even sicker, went to hospitals, tested positive, both are now in the midst of long, ongoing recoveries. Both were over 50 y/o.

That’s my first thought as well, the false negative/positive aspect is always there. When my wife went into the hospital they would treat her again as soon as the negative results came back. They were absolutely positive it was Covid and they were getting false negatives. Her doctor said people have been in the hospital for a week before they tested positive. Crazy.
Feel better dude.

I'm not sure what the overall false negative rate is. I know that it's enough of a concern that my hospital is doing an internal study on the negative test rate in persons who have symptoms that are consistent with COVID.

I'm not sure what the overall false negative rate is. I know that it's enough of a concern that my hospital is doing an internal study on the negative test rate in persons who have symptoms that are consistent with COVID.
*raises hand*

I think I was one of those. Got tested two days after symptoms started. Pounding headache, violent chills, fevers of 104 that wouldn't go down below 100 for a week WITH medications, poor appetite, diarrhea in spite of that. Textbook case outside of absence of respiratory symptoms right?

Wrong. My test was negative and now my workman's comp is refusing to pay out my claim.

My daughter is an RN at local hospital and has reported very high false negatives as well.... i.e. negative result but retested positive a few hours later.

*raises hand*

I think I was one of those. Got tested two days after symptoms started. Pounding headache, violent chills, fevers of 104 that wouldn't go down below 100 for a week WITH medications, poor appetite, diarrhea in spite of that. Textbook case outside of absence of respiratory symptoms right?

Wrong. My test was negative and now my workman's comp is refusing to pay out my claim.

Would it cost a lot for you to get an antibody test? Or will your work pay for it? As long as it's a reliable test, a positive result means you got at least enough exposure to mount an antibody response, which gives credence to you having recent infection.

Would it cost a lot for you to get an antibody test? Or will your work pay for it? As long as it's a reliable test, a positive result means you got at least enough exposure to mount an antibody response, which gives credence to you having recent infection.
My insurance won't cover it. I'm also skeptical of their reliability as well.

Poker buddy, a doctor regularly tested, tested positive. Just to confirm, he was re-tested, came up negative. Tested a third time all in the same day, this time sent to the state run lab, positive.

Wife and I both had symptoms, tested negative. I don’t believe any of test results any longer.

Another follow-up: Still having issues, based on blood test it looks like my thyroid is giving me problems. Hopefully I can get this figured out and get back to doing some design work. For now, I have shutdown all design work.

Another follow-up: Still having issues, based on blood test it looks like my thyroid is giving me problems. Hopefully I can get this figured out and get back to doing some design work. For now, I have shutdown all design work.
Be well!

Be healthy, Steve. There’s just so much we still don’t know about this virus and it’s long term effects. Terrifying.

Sounds like it was good that you went in to get tested, even though it's not Covid, you got the ball started on other issues.

Be well, sending you good thoughts. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom