Caution adviced when dealing with this member (12 Viewers)

He's now banned from that site as well.
I instituted a pre emotive ban of poppin92 at rubberduckforum!!!
1623711856653.gif

I pride myself on being generally unscammable. I was born and raised in New York City to Eastern European immigrants, so I am generally savvy with this shit. The old joke is “how do you start to prepare Hungarian chicken? You steal the chicken!”

The only reason I went through with this was because a) grail chips, and more importantly, b) I didn’t know how many other chips he was selling.

THAT BEING SAID… and this might be cope on my part… I think we are going to made whole one way or another. Here’s why:

Nawras answered my text messages yesterday, and while I wasn’t satisfied with many of the answers, he responded with certain details that lead me to believe one of two things: either he is a buffoon who got in way over his head, or he’s the worst scammer in the whole wide world.

The fact that he responded at all to me, one of the potentially aggrieved, is a good sign IMHO. There is absolutely no reason for a scammer of this nature to continue communication after the con has been executed—the confidence has already been gained and abused, the confidence game finished, so there’s no utility or incentive for a con artist to continue communication with victims. If this was a con—he’s doing a piss poor job of it. Him communicating at all, IMHO, is a positive indicator.

He specifically mentioned he included “samples and cards” in my package, and as such feels like a fool for sending it at all. That’s a detail that no scammer would need to add. He knows hes getting no more money from anyone on this site—as such, if it’s a con, there’s no point trying to smooth things over. He’d be disappeared completely.

The fact that hes made even minimal efforts to make himself look good and communicate is a good sign. If he was a pure con artist, the man formerly known as Poppin wouldn’t have been answering anyone, especially with tiny details that make him look good. No way he’d run such a good con just to do it all wrong at the end.

TL;DR after I slept on it, I think there’s a shot we get our chips. Could be cope, but I think there’s a *chance*. He can’t be *that* good to start the con and that bad to end it.
I love your optimism, but the reality is is that he never had most of the chips he “sold.” He sent the same pictures to multiple purchasers. The cold reality is that he’s just a criminal.

Oh, by the way, my chips are going to be sent out “tomorrow” (for the eleventeenth time). I hate country music, but Garth Brooks’ “If Tomorrow Never Comes” keeps ringing in my head.

To be safe if print out your convos of the deal with the agreed amount and a print of the corresponding pp transaction so they tie to each other in the event you need to report this to the authorities. I’m hoping the artist formerly known as Poppin comes thru for everyone as in the amounts I’m hearing about this definitely qualifies for domestic and or international wire fraud and mail fraud in the NL and here in the us. A consolidated complaint would definitely be acted on by police in NL AND THE US postal police as they are in international agreements with NL postal. I’m sure you’re reading this Poppin. Make it good for everyone and move on. If someone goes to the authorities it won’t be worth the trouble you’ll be in. The amount of money involved will move this case.

Yes, I met him on several occasions. I sold a couple of racks of PNY chips to him.

In my dealings he was always friendly and respectful, and payment was always prompt. Not saying that should be indicative of all dealings with him, as I was dealing mostly in person.

I will say this about international shipping. I've had packages coming from the US stagnate in Bermuda or some other international shipping depot for over 3 months. Ultimately they did arrive, and I never made an issue about it if I had a tracking number that proved the packages were shipped. If Poppin92 shipped his packages he is technically correct that he did everything he needed to do and it is out of his hands. However, it would be nice if he would help in trying to figure out why it's taking so long for the packages to leave the country.

He asked to purchase 2 racks of PNY $1 chips from me a few weeks ago, but those are chips I'm not keen on letting go of, so I told him I'd think about it. Not sure where he got the 500 PNY$1 chips, but it wasn't from me.

I hope everything works out for everyone, but I'm sure permabanning with deals ongoing isn't going to help anyone who is still waiting on their shipments. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon (yet), especially considering my experiences with international shipping. However, feel free to shoot me an IM if you'd like me to relay a message to him regarding your transaction. Please keep in mind that I'm willing to act as an intermediary without any stake in this, and pissing me off isn't going to get you anywhere. Please keep your IMs with me civil and respectful.
You wouldn't like me when I'm....an intermediary.

To remember French as the old diplomatic, trans-atlantic language, I would call this whole situation as:
"Institut Trans-Atlantique de Skatologie"
Est-ce-que vous aimez le skata? Non?
Du skata, c' est de la merde, en grec.
(La mierda, en español).

I've been trying to get more info from PostNL...but has been a struggle.

They can only be reached via a web-robot that gives you 3 options:
  • call
  • facebook
  • twitter
Last 2 options are not possible since they link direct with your email and I have no packages registered (since they are not mine).
The call option then...well I tried +5 times...and every time the bot ask a bunch of details and most of those I don't have (house number 'n stuff).
Once I was able to register one but couldn't get in after 2 hours of trying.

I'm working from home today, i'll try again to finally speak to a real person and explain our case.
Will keep y'all posted

Just came across this thread and haven't read it all. I had a deal with this member back in February for some PNY chips, money was sent, supposedly a PayPal snafu occurred on his end and his PP was blocked, money was eventually refunded to me and all ended well. I have many PM's in English and PP screenshots from this member but it's in Dutch I believe, so I can't read it. If those screens could be of any assistance I will gladly provide them through PM's.

Below is a list I've compiled of those that were affected. If anybody is missing from this list, can you please send me a PM with the details of the transaction so we can have an accurate tally. Self explanatory lists, completed means I've received information from you regarding your purchase(s) from Poppin92 and incomplete means I've yet to receive any information or waiting for more in order to mark yours as completed. I apologize in advance if I've asked some people for info more than once. There were several different channels used to collect info such as PM, public post, text, WhatsApp, etc...

If you've been affected and don't find your name below, I'll need a PM with the title "DAMAGES" with the following: Date of purchase, item purchased, quantity, cost and total cost including shipping. The title will help me better identify which messages to go through when referencing information.

Complete:

@Cwaters425
@Organista1
@cpac54
@utgtrash
@fishsaybloop
@LeGold
@Pinkdan
@JRald07
@RivieraDanny
@Matthew627
@Senzrock
@CDC

Incomplete:

@DMack
@Percy7
@cyril
@ludwig1971
@RudysNYC
@madforpancakes
@Grandmasturkey
@Sambukan

Below is a list I've compiled of those that were affected. If anybody is missing from this list, can you please send me a PM with the details of the transaction so we can have an accurate tally. Self explanatory lists, completed means I've received information from you regarding your purchase(s) from Poppin92 and incomplete means I've yet to receive any information or waiting for more in order to mark yours as completed. I apologize in advance if I've asked some people for info more than once. There were several different channels used to collect info such as PM, public post, text, WhatsApp, etc...

If you've been affected and don't find your name below, I'll need a PM with the title "DAMAGES" with the following: Date of purchase, item purchased, quantity, cost and total cost including shipping. The title will help me better identify which messages to go through when referencing information.

Complete:

@Cwaters425
@Organista1
@cpac54
@utgtrash
@fishsaybloop
@LeGold
@Pinkdan
@JRald07
@RivieraDanny
@Matthew627
@Senzrock
@CDC

Incomplete:

@DMack
@Percy7
@cyril
@ludwig1971
@RudysNYC
@madforpancakes
@Grandmasturkey
@Sambukan
Yeesh, that’s more people than I realized.

Any theories about this PayPal refund thing? He pulled it so often, but then people were made whole . . . is it a way to borrow from Peter to pay Paul?

One can't say for sure what happened on the back end, that being PayPal. So many ways to move money from one PayPal to another.

Any theories about this PayPal refund thing? He pulled it so often, but then people were made whole . . . is it a way to borrow from Peter to pay Paul?
Not exactly sure but it kinda seems that way. His PP might have been legitimately blocked but I can't read Dutch to know for sure. He did mention to me in our deal that he needed to sell the chips I was buying immediately because he need to pay @suited67 and @horseshoez for his purchases he made that day. Sounds like the guy was buying chips on the premise he was getting money from somewhere else and it snowballed.

From the outside it looks like he was kinda sometimes front end loading, selling chips he didn’t have yet and then going out and trying to get deals on them to fulfill orders.
The thing I think of on PayPal is that he wanted G&S so buyers would have some recourse somewhere if he flaked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom