Caution adviced when dealing with this member (5 Viewers)

@horseshoez moving forward, I would not continue to publicize or offer re-shipping services to anyone that comes along as that is a golden opportunity for a scammer. My suggestion would be to stick to the people in your circle now and only let new members in if someone in your current circle can vouch for them.

Based on the recent changes Poppin made to his account settings/options (for ex: preventing members from starting a PM with him) prior to getting himself banned, I'd take an educated guess and say he had a plan all long to scam members. I hope I'm wrong and everyone gets what they paid for.

Aside from those that I consider within my circle of chippers, I will not be accepting new reship requests until I figure out the best way to do it moving forward. The idea you mentioned of having people vouch for another is one I’ve considered. I also feel that an escrow service of sorts is needed for people transacting with each other that want to have protection on the buying and selling side. Wouldn’t hurt to search for a website that offers a service in which they hold the funds and only release to the seller when the buyer updates that the goods have been received. I can do some research and see if any exist and can be used for a small fee.

Lol at the amateur detective work going on now. I know horseshitz isn't everyone's cup of tea but even I can see that he means well with all of the reshipping.

I think we can safely say he isn't part of some nefarious plan to hack all of our banking details.

Hahahahaha ok I actually read past it the first time and then spotted it. First twist I’ve seen on my name and I have to admit, pretty freakin funny. Touché.

There needs to be an immediate ban on selling chips you do not have on hand. If you can’t post a picture with current date you shouldn’t be able to list them for sale.

- I have never and will never buy chips that the seller does not physically have in their possession.

That's a good rule to follow.

Even though issues from this thread were resolved, this may have been an early sign of problems to come. It involved a frozen PayPal account that the payment was sent from, asking for a refund to be sent to another PayPal account before the chips were shipped, and selling chips, not in their possession.

I move we change the name of the asshat clause to the Poppin92 clause.

Do I have a second?

I abstain sir. If you’re asking why, well that’s pretty simple. I’m pretty sure that I’m one of the original asshats when the clause was introduced.

I prefer my version better if you guys can add that to the ballot. It’s called YAD, and stands for You’re A Douche. That one has my vote.

I think @Bloody Marvelous met him once at his home?! Maybe he has a correct address or an idea how to help?!
Yes, I met him on several occasions. I sold a couple of racks of PNY chips to him.

In my dealings he was always friendly and respectful, and payment was always prompt. Not saying that should be indicative of all dealings with him, as I was dealing mostly in person.

I will say this about international shipping. I've had packages coming from the US stagnate in Bermuda or some other international shipping depot for over 3 months. Ultimately they did arrive, and I never made an issue about it if I had a tracking number that proved the packages were shipped. If Poppin92 shipped his packages he is technically correct that he did everything he needed to do and it is out of his hands. However, it would be nice if he would help in trying to figure out why it's taking so long for the packages to leave the country.

He asked to purchase 2 racks of PNY $1 chips from me a few weeks ago, but those are chips I'm not keen on letting go of, so I told him I'd think about it. Not sure where he got the 500 PNY$1 chips, but it wasn't from me.

I hope everything works out for everyone, but I'm sure permabanning with deals ongoing isn't going to help anyone who is still waiting on their shipments. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon (yet), especially considering my experiences with international shipping. However, feel free to shoot me an IM if you'd like me to relay a message to him regarding your transaction. Please keep in mind that I'm willing to act as an intermediary without any stake in this, and pissing me off isn't going to get you anywhere. Please keep your IMs with me civil and respectful.

I abstain sir. If you’re asking why, well that’s pretty simple. I’m pretty sure that I’m one of the original asshats when the clause was introduced.

I prefer my version better if you guys can add that to the ballot. It’s called YAD, and stands for You’re A Douche. That one has my vote.
Fair enough. LOL.

I understand int'l packages take while, bit to send a tracking# that shows dropped off on may 10th and then not have one single update since then, is crazy. Even if they were "allegedly" dropped off and received, it would show some movement within the PostNL system. If its stuck somewhere in transit, it should have at least been scanned outbound leaving their facility, or inbound to the next, not just at "shipment received" for 35+ days

- I have never and will never buy chips that the seller does not physically have in their possession.
Unfortunately that didn’t work for me as it seems (still hopeful but doubtful) he never shipped the racks out so he was able to display the rack I wanted to purchase in hand.

Attachments

• B5640D55-CA24-4929-A5B6-08B95E35F5E3.jpeg
    B5640D55-CA24-4929-A5B6-08B95E35F5E3.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 163
I pride myself on being generally unscammable. I was born and raised in New York City to Eastern European immigrants, so I am generally savvy with this shit. The old joke is “how do you start to prepare Hungarian chicken? You steal the chicken!”

The only reason I went through with this was because a) grail chips, and more importantly, b) I didn’t know how many other chips he was selling.

THAT BEING SAID… and this might be cope on my part… I think we are going to made whole one way or another. Here’s why:

Nawras answered my text messages yesterday, and while I wasn’t satisfied with many of the answers, he responded with certain details that lead me to believe one of two things: either he is a buffoon who got in way over his head, or he’s the worst scammer in the whole wide world.

The fact that he responded at all to me, one of the potentially aggrieved, is a good sign IMHO. There is absolutely no reason for a scammer of this nature to continue communication after the con has been executed—the confidence has already been gained and abused, the confidence game finished, so there’s no utility or incentive for a con artist to continue communication with victims. If this was a con—he’s doing a piss poor job of it. Him communicating at all, IMHO, is a positive indicator.

He specifically mentioned he included “samples and cards” in my package, and as such feels like a fool for sending it at all. That’s a detail that no scammer would need to add. He knows hes getting no more money from anyone on this site—as such, if it’s a con, there’s no point trying to smooth things over. He’d be disappeared completely.

The fact that hes made even minimal efforts to make himself look good and communicate is a good sign. If he was a pure con artist, the man formerly known as Poppin wouldn’t have been answering anyone, especially with tiny details that make him look good. No way he’d run such a good con just to do it all wrong at the end.

TL;DR after I slept on it, I think there’s a shot we get our chips. Could be cope, but I think there’s a *chance*. He can’t be *that* good to start the con and that bad to end it.

Unfortunately that didn’t work for me as it seems (still hopeful but doubtful) he never shipped the racks out so he was able to display the rack I wanted to purchase in hand.
I've been filming myself dropping off packages at the post office, mainly to protect myself. No one has asked for that level of proof, yet.

I've been filming myself dropping off packages at the post office, mainly to protect myself. No one has asked for that level of proof, yet.
It's almost like a chain of custody issue and I'm not sure that's sufficient. Ideally you've have a film, a single take, of the chips getting packed into that box, all the way through handing that box off to the post office employee.

I pride myself on being generally unscammable. I was born and raised in New York City to Eastern European immigrants, so I am generally savvy with this shit. The old joke is “how do you start to prepare Hungarian chicken? You steal the chicken!”

The only reason I went through with this was because a) grail chips, and more importantly, b) I didn’t know how many other chips he was selling.

THAT BEING SAID… and this might be cope on my part… I think we are going to made whole one way or another. Here’s why:

Nawras answered my text messages yesterday, and while I wasn’t satisfied with many of the answers, he responded with certain details that lead me to believe one of two things: either he is a buffoon who got in way over his head, or he’s the worst scammer in the whole wide world.

The fact that he responded at all to me, one of the potentially aggrieved, is a good sign IMHO. There is absolutely no reason for a scammer of this nature to continue communication after the con has been executed—the confidence has already been gained and abused, the confidence game finished, so there’s no utility or incentive for a con artist to continue communication with victims. If this was a con—he’s doing a piss poor job of it. Him communicating at all, IMHO, is a positive indicator.

He specifically mentioned he included “samples and cards” in my package, and as such feels like a fool for sending it at all. That’s a detail that no scammer would need to add. He knows hes getting no more money from anyone on this site—as such, if it’s a con, there’s no point trying to smooth things over. He’d be disappeared completely.

The fact that hes made even minimal efforts to make himself look good and communicate is a good sign. If he was a pure con artist, the man formerly known as Poppin wouldn’t have been answering anyone, especially with tiny details that make him look good. No way he’d run such a good con just to do it all wrong at the end.

TL;DR after I slept on it, I think there’s a shot we get our chips. Could be cope, but I think there’s a *chance*. He can’t be *that* good to start the con and that bad to end it.
When I first heard about this (last week, following his ban from PCF), I actually had relatively high hopes that Poppin was just a disorganized seller who didn't have much in the way of social skills and just didn't care about being nice to people online (it happens, I know a few people like this). I'm happy to give this another few days until we really start organizing trips to his apartment etc. BUT the evidence around him selling chips, especially very highly sought after ones, including all of the terrible fracs, the Cinci $2s (both racks being murdered supposedly, which doesn't bode well), the PNY $1s... I have become very concerned just based on the fact that it seems hard for him to have ever accumulated all of these chips in the first place. My concern about his character is almost secondary to that of "did he ever have all of the chips that he is describing" - because if he didn't, then most of this becomes moot - the chips just never existed in the first place right so there's nothing for us to "recover" - aside from Paypal reimbursements.

Hoping he does the right thing by us but when he was emailing me back on Friday, he said he would 100% send out my package/tracking by Saturday and since then I emailed him on Saturday, Sunday and then today (with zero response) and over there it's 6 hours later so it's too late to go to any post office, making it nearly 2 weeks since I sent him payment without any tracking information whatsoever. It just doesn't look good.

Last edited:
Aside from those that I consider within my circle of chippers, I will not be accepting new reship requests until I figure out the best way to do it moving forward. The idea you mentioned of having people vouch for another is one I’ve considered. I also feel that an escrow service of sorts is needed for people transacting with each other that want to have protection on the buying and selling side. Wouldn’t hurt to search for a website that offers a service in which they hold the funds and only release to the seller when the buyer updates that the goods have been received. I can do some research and see if any exist and can be used for a small fee.
Hear me out, what if you provided the escrow service for a small fee :)

It's almost like a chain of custody issue and I'm not sure that's sufficient. Ideally you've have a film, a single take, of the chips getting packed into that box, all the way through handing that box off to the post office employee.
Scammers could defeat even that. They could include a fictional quarrel, on film, with a fictional wife telling them to get that shit (the chips) out of the house and get "some bread on this family's table"...
:)

Scammers could defeat even that. They could include a fictional quarrel, on film, with a fictional wife telling them to get that shit (the chips) out of the house and get "some bread on this family's table"...
:)

Yes, I can hear it now. "Not only do you need to drop it off, drop yourself off while you're at it. You degenerate son of b%$ch. Who the f*$K did I marry???????" This is great, some reality TV show around the world of chipping. "Chipping Degenerates of the World"

I would consider registering as a Vendor and offering an in-house PP escrow service that would be less than the usual PPGS charge, as long as I could protect myself from liability.

Uhmmmmm. I thought of this too. Was literally what I was about to write. Same as @allforcharity, also would be willing to do it as long as I'm protected from any liability.

Becoming an escrow agent carries all kinds of liabilities, requires establishment of escrow funding accounts, and there are federal requirements of "cushions" in terms of the amount needed in the account. It further requires binding contracts between the parties, and usually, these agreements can't happen if the two parties are in different countries, unless your escrow agency fulfills the legal requirements / and is registered in the country of both parties.

In terms of reshipping, I've seen members like @steam use companies like www.comgateway.com to excellent effect.

Agreed. No one or entity will guarantee any re-shipper (person or) business 'protection' from liability. From the interweb:

"The liability of a freight forwarder is an extremely complex issue to discuss purely on paper as each case could be different.. The liability of a freight forwarder is intrinsically related to the role of the freight forwarder towards their principal and the third party in the obligation."

https://www.shippingandfreightresource.com/risks-and-liabilities-of-a-freight-forwarder/

https://www.marsh.com/us/insights/research/third-party-logistics.html

Becoming an escrow agent carries all kinds of liabilities, requires establishment of escrow funding accounts, and there are federal requirements of "cushions" in terms of the amount needed in the account. It further requires binding contracts between the parties, and usually, these agreements can't happen if the two parties are in different countries, unless your escrow agency fulfills the legal requirements / and is registered in the country of both parties.

In terms of reshipping, I've seen members like @steam use companies like www.comgateway.com to excellent effect.

You're thinking too far. I meant as a "friendly, escrow-like" service where money is still sent via PayPal (where FF is possible, or fees covered if not), but held by a "trusted third party" until goods are received. Maybe it's a good idea, maybe it's a bad idea, just want to be open to the conversation.

It all starts with whether the membership wants a service like this, and who can agree on who a trusted 3rd party could be.

Correct. Thanks for the insight Krish. Based on my past experiences when I was helping manage a business overseas, it's not as simple as it seems especially for international dealings. Our way of handling those when I was based overseas was by way of a LC (Letter of credit). Not that is any simpler than escrow, still a lengthy process and requires all sorts of documents such as contract, commercial invoice, transport documents such as Bill of lading etc... If one were to proceed in providing that on PCF, it would be non-contractual, as Berny mentioned above. You're thinking of the in-depth details primarily due to you being a business owner and making sure nothing is overlooked for the sake of liability. This one is just a dumbed down and less complicated version. One trusted party holds onto the money, waits for the other to get the goods, then upon confirmation that they've been received proceeds with transferring the money to the seller's PayPal. Might actually turn out to be a PITA, unless someone has a dedicated PayPal account to handle all those transactions.

Some pretty reliable reshipping services out there, such as the one you mentioned. There are some other reputable companies such as Shipito.com. I think the only concern for chippers in specific is the handling of such a fragile commodity, clay chips. We've become spoiled in a way to people bubble wrapping, taping, padding, and bullet-proofing our precious cargo to no end. I highly doubt a reshipping company is going to give our items this much care. They're going to consolidate your stuff in a box and off it goes. There will come a time when a box is received and all you hear is the clacking of chips when you pick it up. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Don’t read this wrong, not ranting just thinking out loud a little.

So after adding more rules and regulations, third party intermediaries, standardized forms, nuclear penalties for infractions, and grief counseling, and then someone still sends money to Nigeria because “it’s a good deal”, what are you going to do next?

Why don’t you just use eBay? It has all the functionality and liability protection built in and you can pay all the fees you want there.

I don’t think it’s that bad in the classifieds. A few bad apples that teach us to be on our toes in business deals shouldn’t require a total revamp of everything with layer after layer of whatever crazy rules or committees that are spawned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom