Caution adviced when dealing with this member (6 Viewers)

Below is a list I've compiled of those that were affected. If anybody is missing from this list, can you please send me a PM with the details of the transaction so we can have an accurate tally. Self explanatory lists, completed means I've received information from you regarding your purchase(s) from Poppin92 and incomplete means I've yet to receive any information or waiting for more in order to mark yours as completed. I apologize in advance if I've asked some people for info more than once. There were several different channels used to collect info such as PM, public post, text, WhatsApp, etc...

If you've been affected and don't find your name below, I'll need a PM with the title "DAMAGES" with the following: Date of purchase, item purchased, quantity, cost and total cost including shipping. The title will help me better identify which messages to go through when referencing information.

Complete:

@Cwaters425
@Organista1
@cpac54
@utgtrash
@fishsaybloop
@LeGold
@Pinkdan
@JRald07
@RivieraDanny
@Matthew627
@Senzrock
@CDC

Incomplete:

@DMack
@Percy7
@cyril
@ludwig1971
@RudysNYC
@madforpancakes
@Grandmasturkey
@Sambukan
Is this just for chips or is this list for cards too?

Any theories about this PayPal refund thing? He pulled it so often, but then people were made whole . . . is it a way to borrow from Peter to pay Paul?
i was thinking the same thing, sounds like he pays then refunds it for a reason, ive heard that line many times already

Sounds a bit like this guy:
66F35D1E-9C96-4494-AD49-89D09728D438.gif

Would it be better to wait until the dust has settled? I’d worry about disincentivizing the guy.

I was going to wait but no. There are also items that are incoming to my address, some already claimed and others that will be sold off to raise funds.

So I'll share a little bit. I'm at least one person of what @Tommy shared about the antics where poppin92 tried to buy something from me and then decided he wanted a refund. Which it is possible to get a refund but I only refund back to the payment source I received it from. I also don't find issues with someone's PayPal account something that I need to correct.

I eventually made it clear that I would not be responding any further and basically ceased communication. There were alot of delays in payment and excuses.

Jeff

Not exactly sure but it kinda seems that way. His PP might have been legitimately blocked but I can't read Dutch to know for sure. He did mention to me in our deal that he needed to sell the chips I was buying immediately because he need to pay @suited67 and @horseshoez for his purchases he made that day. Sounds like the guy was buying chips on the premise he was getting money from somewhere else and it snowballed.
Also I'm unsure on timelines as the events where he interacted with me were several months ago!

I don’t have too much to contribute but I do have these mustard TRKs I could auction off, generously gifted to me by @kaimat and subsequently milled by the great @Josh Kifer . Never found any use for them but maybe someone will, especially in the name of fund raising for this good cause.

9A4286D9-B273-4957-8E24-614CA33A9421.jpeg

From the outside it looks like he was kinda sometimes front end loading, selling chips he didn’t have yet and then going out and trying to get deals on them to fulfill orders.
The thing I think of on PayPal is that he wanted G&S so buyers would have some recourse somewhere if he flaked.

One of the most successful art dealers in the world got his start hustling paintings kind of like this. He had no real inventory or capital to speak of, but was a great talker and networker, who owned a couple of nice suits.

The way I heard it, he would tell one rich collector, “I have an important [Picasso, let’s say] which I might be persuaded to part with for $[X] million.”

Then he’d go to the guy who owned such a painting and say, “I’ll buy it for $[X-1] million.”

This was with art not on the market, and very much pre-internet. He would gather intel about who owned what privately, and who coveted certain artists, then start trying to make a deal where he was the apparent buyer/seller but actually just a middleman.

Not entirely illegal per se, but not exactly honest either. A hustle. What Poppin has done sounds somewhat different, and worse, just at lower stakes.

I think he’s been banned, but I also think this makes it harder to communicate with him and restitution less likely

He was banned as of June 6th. Restitution will more than likely come in the form of fundraising. I’ve already contributed from my end by way of my last auction and others have stated they’d also like to pitch in.

I was one of the folks that was sold some of the chips in the jack sale and then later told I didn’t get them… I had agreed to sell them to him before the sale if I got some. And when I thought I got them I told him. Then when I got the news that my order couldn’t be filled he went off on me and said I was shady and untrustworthy and that he had a sale all lined up for them… all the while publicly showing sympathy for Jim and the PayPal situation. So he definitely was double dipping if you will.

He was banned as of June 6th.
I am not looking to dox the guy but curious what his real name is. It is a small world, especially when it comes to chips. I would like to know his personal name so I know who to avoid.

I have been scammed dealing with individuals outside of PCF.

Reading through this thread is an emotional roller coaster. Based on what I can gather:
  • The original deal he made on PCF involved buying chips that he couldn't pay for. He tried to use some weird wire transfer services and then just didn't send anything. Eventually, however, after the negative feedback came out publicly, the deal was completed successfully. So we all just assumed "new guy"
  • Then he had a bunch of other sales which, for the most part, went OK. He got quite a bit of positive feedback and seemed to be relatively active. You'd head some stories of backing out or making a mistake (all red flags), but overall, people were getting their money or their chips
  • Then sh*t went south and it looks like there was a snowball of selling chips he didn't have and/or buying chips that weren't available. Sounds kinda like short selling stock in a way. Throw in some compounded "gambling losses with PCFer's money" and here we are.
... I gotta ask though; was this all a really well-planned heist? I mean, he got tons of posts, feedback, reactions, etc. That's a lotta work just to setup the perfect theft from multiple people. Then again, for as much as he took, maybe the effort was worth it.

The pp f@f business is a real problem especially now that us sellers are strongly incentivized not to use business transactions.

feedback as it stands is flawed for reasons mentioned here - no one wants to leave negative feedback and there’s no middle ground.

solutions:

A more expansive feedback criteria. Not just “negative” and positive. There can be shere you rate on a 5 point scale.
How well packaged was it? 1-5 stars
How communicative? 1-5 stars
How quickly was payment/shipment? 1-5 stars
And then a separate box for significant problems that gives more room to explain the issue. There also should be some kind of way of resolving retaliatory negative feedback - ie allow mods to delete it if the evidence warrants it.

additionally there could be a weighted reputation score that is based on the value of the sales as well as the reputation of the person they’re transacting with. Ie: buying several small orders and selling to 1 unknown account with no history shouldn’t mean much if you’re then selling a $2,000 chip set.

A dedicAted scammer could avoid suspicion but for some cases like poppin this would have given some red flags - I myself had strange interactions with him that I was on the fence about posting about. He was very aggressive about getting payment ASAP - threatening he’s cancel dibs if I didn’t pay in 30 minutes. He then provided a PayPal account that wasn’t his and inconsistent with previous transactions. Ultimately I didn’t buy from him so I had no way of leaving feedback but even if I did I’m not sure it would have been sufficient for leaving negative marks if all the chips arrived.

———

Another option or possibly an additional safety measure could be to create a forum where people with long standing reputations can offer services as intermediaries in each city/state who charge a fee to do the transactions. Ie: if I wanted to sell a 5k set as someone relatively new I’d go look at a thread listing people from different cities, find someone from Toronto who purchase at a slight discount to do the sale. It would be great for new members because reputation often reduces the amount you can sell for due to risks and intermediaries can set their price at whatever they want to compensate them for the work so all parties would likely come out ahead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom