Build Thread - Dining room table topper. (1 Viewer)

Stylin

Pair
Reaction score
Hey gents, I'm building a topper for a table a recently built. I don't think I've seen any build threads on a topper here so I figured I'd make one. Maybe this will even inspire people to post more build threads, as I for one love watching them. Feel free to ask questions!

This topper will be made of A1 grade birch plywood. It will be oval with a skirt, and a tight fit to the poker table under it. The poker table measures 44 x 92. The topper will be 1 1/2" bigger to allow the 3/4 skirt and a 3/4 offset.

In all of these pictures the board is face down, and you see the "bad" side. This is A1 grade, so 1 is still damn good, but it is the backer. This is important because by using a spiral up cut bit it doesn't create splintering in the side that you are going to finish. The jig also will leaves faint grooves that you don't want on your finish side.

First thing I did is cut the full sheet down to the width I needed. I didn't take a picture of the circular saw, but basically I just use 3/4 plywood leftovers from full sheets that were cut down as straight edges and rip away. The 48" T square shows a bit missing. This is the part where I decided to make a build thread so it was the first picture I got.

image.jpeg

Next I went about setting up the oval jig. I use one from Rockler, and it's worked really well for me. You just find the center of your table width, and mark it. Then use that same distance of half the width and measure that from the edge length wise. Mark this line all the way across the width of the table. Drill an 1/8" hole where the lines meet, just deep enough for the pin in the jig. From here, I put the jig in place on the edge of the table as shown in the picture below, spin the bit so the widest part is flush with the side of the board, and lock the jig in place. Use the line you made to be sure the jig is center by using the slot in the jig as a window.

image.jpeg

From here it's just a matter of cutting the radius. I make three passes on each end, 1/4" at a time. What was once square is now round!

image.jpeg

Now I'm cutting a 3/4" wide by 1/2" deep groove around the table for the skirt to sit in. I measured from the edge of the table 3/4" then 1 - 1/2" and put two marks along the line that was made and used before to center the jig. Using a 3/4" double fluted router bit spun so the widest part is along the line, I simply put the bit edge to edge along the marks that were made, and lock the jig in place. Also of note here is on the left side of my router there are steps. I plunge the router to the top of the board, then set the metal rod flush with the top step. Every step is 1/8", and I turn the steps two at a time during my two passes to cut first at 1/4" then 1/2" deep.

image.jpeg

This picture shows using clamps as stops. I didn't use them before because I can feel when the resistance of the router gets less I know I'm on the outside of the radius and it's easy to see where to stop. With this cut, you really can't tell to well, so I set how far I want the bit to travel along the radius and then put a clamp on the edge of the router so it doesn't cut into where I need it to be straight.

image.jpeg

Once the radius cuts are done, I switch the jig out for a straight edge attachment. To set the edge, I just plunge the bit down into the far edge of the radius cut, then push the fence flush with the board. Make sure the bit is spun so the widest part is making contact with edge of the groove closest to the edge of the board along the line that was made earlier. I do this on one side and set the clamp as my stop, then go to the other radius and set my stop. Then I make my two passes to get down to 1/2".

image.jpeg

All the cuts on the table top are done at this point. Next up is the skirt cuts.

Nice pics and progress. I love that router. I used to have the same one but one version older with the fixed and plunge bases. It worked great until I decided to change the brushes on it and broke it in the process.

Thanks Tony. Yeah I absolutely love the router. Well worth the extra cost in my opinion over the 2-1/4 HP. Changed the brushes? I doubt I'll ever get on your level, lol.

You make nice tables. You never know where that may take you.

You make nice tables. You never know where that may take you.

Wow, thanks a lot! Very humbled and honored with that coming from you.

Hoping to have time to get all the woodwork done today, then finish will start tomorrow. Should have updates tonight!

Time to cut boards down to size. I'll need them 5" wide to drop down 4-1/2" and 1/2" into the grove I cut earlier. I made quick jigs for my circular saw to make setting a fence perfectly stright and quick. I'll show you how to use them.

First make a mark using a square to get it straight. Make it dark and long, as you'll use it to get your fence set.

image.jpeg

To make the jig, I used a factory edge off a scrap piece of plywood. I then cut into it keeping the edge of the wood flush with the edge of the saw. This creates a "window" to see your mark. It allows you to mark your boards with what you actually need saving you from having to add the distance from the saw blade to the edge of the saw to every measurement.

Using the window, center the mark under it and clamp the jig down. Do the same to the other side.

image.jpeg

Now you can slide your fence tight to the jigs and clamp it down.

image.jpeg

Next remove the jigs and cut along your fence. A little tip is to add a clamp to the cut line just after you start cutting as shown to keep the board in place so it doesn't bind the saw blade or fall to the floor.

image.jpeg

As you can see, this is a quick easy way to get a perfectly straight cut at exactly the measurement you want.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to be any interest here. I don't want to spend the time taking and uploading pics if nobody cares.

This is what the table looks like right now. If you'd like to see how it got to this point, I have something like 100 pictures to sort through and post, just let me know.

table.JPG

I'm interested. Did you kerf cut or laminate to form the curved sections?

Mark@Wagga - what type of wood is that? It resembles cherry, but I don't think that is correct. At any rate, it's beautiful - nicely finished.

I like watching these and getting little tips like your track saw jig trick. I just don't have much to add or inquire about until I start my build.

It does look fantastic and is something I aim to do in the near future.

Looks great @Stylin! I haven't dropped the cash for a spiral bit yet. Do you use it much besides with plywood where you have an exposed finished corner?

You should post a build thread on www.pokertableforum.com, too! The relaunch could use great content like this.

Looks great @Stylin! I haven't dropped the cash for a spiral bit yet. Do you use it much besides with plywood where you have an exposed finished corner?

You should post a build thread on www.pokertableforum.com, too! The relaunch could use great content like this.
Thanks! I like the upcut bit on anything. It pulls the dust up where the dust extractor is.

I honestly don't know how I feel about the new forum. I was on it when Tony ran it, but honestly I like this one better. There's just so much more traffic here. I liked when the table forum just redirected here.

Now it's time to Kerf cut. My jig looks like this. It's made from 3/4" ply scraps. Simply measure from the edge of your saw to the blade and add the width of kerf you want. I kerf 1/2" center of blade to center of blade so it's actually slightly smaller then that. Use a square to get perfect 90* cuts and screw it together. I added a stop at the top where the saw blade cuts to it's full depth just past the top of the piece being kerfed.

IMG_0015_1024x683.JPG

To use the jig, simply line the edge up with the cut you just made, and cut until you hit the stop. Then move the jig edge to the line you just cut, and repeat for what seems like forever.

IMG_0021_1024x683.JPG

I set my depth to cut just into the bottom layer of ply, roughly 1/8" of wood remaining. Here you can see how the stop works. The center longest part of the saw blade is just past the top of the wood being cut when the stop of the saw hits the stop. This will give your full depth all the way through.

IMG_0019_1024x683.JPG

An action shot. Now you just kerf, and kerf, and kerf, and kerf. Good times.

IMG_0030_1024x683.JPG

Finally done with the cuts. 312 of them to be exact. I cut 6 1/2 foot of kerf per radius. I ended up not needing this much. I could have done 6 feet even. I can never remember, but hey, not it's documented! There is a 3rd board not kerfed, this will go on the straight parts between the kerf cuts.

IMG_0032_1024x683.JPG

I didn't take pics of gluing this together, sorry about that. I was trying to work fast before the glue set and wifey wasn't around. I went ahead and cut the 9" of extra off the kerf cut boards on each end to make the seams further apart. I thought it would look better. I then found the center of each kerf board and the center of the table. For glue, I glued each side of the grove and one bead down the middle. I then lined up the center marks and dropped the kerf boards down in. The glue while wet acts nicly as a lube and a few taps of the mallet drops the boards down in place. After doing the same to the other radius, I just took a quick measurement and cut the non-kerfed board to size. These pieces fell right in with no issues. From there, I used 2x4s, scraps, and all the clamps I own to hold everything together and let dry for 24 hours.

IMG_0044_1024x683.JPG

Here is the table with the clamps removed. Looks pretty good except the plywood edge. Let's fix that!

IMG_0053_1024x683.JPG

Edgebanding tools of the trade, all bought on amazon. Cutter on left, iron in middle, roller on right.

IMG_0058_1024x683.JPG

Use blue painters tape to hold the edge band in place. You want a little handing over the top and a little hanging under the bottom of the plywood. From here, start at least 6 " from the end of the edge band by pressing the iron and running it along the band. The glue will heat pretty quickly and become tacky. At this point, using your roller go over the area you just heated. Continue in this fashion, working from tape piece to tape piece until you come to the end.

IMG_0059_1024x683.JPG

You'll end up with an overlapping section like this.

IMG_0063_1024x683.JPG

I use the cutter at this point to get a straight edge on the top of the table.

IMG_0066_1024x683.JPG

You can see how it cuts both top and bottom flush. It's way better then using a knife, as that opens up the ability to make mistakes and cut too far into the plywood.

IMG_0069_1024x683.JPG

Now I use a square to get a straight cut over both pieces of edge band at the same time. This will net you a perfectly straight seam as close as possible to each other.

IMG_0070_1024x683.JPG

Here is a shot of the iron at work.

IMG_0078_1024x683.JPG

The roller in action too. Notice the nice clean seam.

IMG_0082_1024x683.JPG

Here she is, all cleaned up. Next I'll be placing covers over the skirt seams and then on to finishing.

IMG_0094_1024x683.JPG

Don't take the radio silence for disinterest. It's kind of like watching a guy take a 28' putt. Quiet as hell while you set it all up and then when it's in the hole, you'll hear the eruptions. Can't wait to see you sink this one.

just wanna let you know, I hate your guts. people like you make me sick, with all your awesome woodworking skills, making something out of completely nothing is awesome.

truly remarkable watching the progress, bravo sir.

Very cool, I'd love to see even more pictures of the entire process too.

Your topper is looking great!

I consider myself a fairly decent woodworker, but love watching these threads looking for new ways to do things. Your edge banding tips and tools are excellent, and have me interested in doing it again. I have done it twice and it was a huge PITA, and the wife gets pissed when I bring the clothes iron back in with saw dust stuck in it. As stated already don't take silence as disinterest, many people love to watch the process, but don't have the knowledge to comment or ask questions, or possibly afraid of asking an "unintelligent" question.

I also recommend you post this tutorial over on the poker table forum as well. You have done fantastic job documenting it here and the new forum could use the info and pics. You could even just copy and past it. If you have any other builds documented I ask you to post them there as well, here too. It just nice to have these great posts in one spot specifically designed for them. Yes this site has more traffic but I consider the other site the go to for poker tables, it is too bad we lost all of the info that was there before, but if we build it again they will come. ;)

Can't wait to see your finished product.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom