For all you DIY Guys out there (2 Viewers)

JasonBourne

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hey all. Stumbled across this forum a couple days ago when on a kick to build a table. And wow.

So I was originally looking at tables, then build my own foldable and now I think I am just going to build topper/rails for my kitchen table which I just realized has a leaf conversion to a 54” round.

Now I ain’t a popular guy, so finding 8 for a game would be max most likely. Only gonna have a couple games a year so not looking to break the bank.

So I was thinking I could build some rails and get a decent topper(seen all the posts made by guy on here too).

For the rails I was thinking I could build 5-6” rails with cup holders and route a 1” groove that sits on top of the table (the other 4-5” would over hang edge) this would reduce the playing surface to 53” but thinking that would suffice for my needs. Rails would be in halves with some latch clamps on each side to keep it snug.

For the playing surface I read that the guy here that is very well respected providing toppers (@v {something} has a max width of 48”. So 54” round out. I was wondering if I could just buy some foam and decent speed cloth from Amazon. My table has slight ridges so would need a softer bottom, heavy foam top followed by softer 1/4 or 1/8 too foam to make sure it sits flat and speed cloth sheared to that.

Just wanted to get initial thoughts from smarter minds than I if that general idea would be feasible.

Let me know your thoughts. Pic of table below (with leaf still in so you see the general creases in the table)

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_3753.jpeg
    IMG_3753.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 71
I've made a couple tables thus far using the poker mats you'd find on Amazon. They are really nice to play on, and look great when you add a padded rail. Plus they are water proof and can be easily replaced if ever needed. Its actually what Triton does for their tables. They come with a triton mat that you roll out and stuff under the rails when you use it. https://www.tritonpokertables.com/products/triton-75-premium-folding-8-player-poker-table

Heres some toppers that could fit your table size potentially:

https://www.amazon.com/TritonTM-Pre...9&sprefix=round+poker+mat,aps,97&sr=8-27&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/nuveti-Holde...ons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1&psc=1

With the table ridges, I'd probably be tempted to start off with a flat piece of plywood or the like, and then roll the topper over that, and clamp down your rails. Or maybe even to just permanently attach those rails to the plywood and have just a solid one piece table topper.

Thanks for the links.

I was considering a thin 1/4” ply on the bottom as well. Trying to keep weight down but that would be nominal on each half. So likely do that we well.

Ya. Would be nice. I'm guessing the round table they sell is a 48" wide playing surface and so they figure 2" of the mat fits under the rail to hold in place.

Last edited:
So after a lot of searching, and realizing there are limited option for attractive toppers 50” or greater. I think I will end up building 6” rails that over hang table 5”, taking the playing surface to 49”. This will allow me to grab one of those Titan toppers. Those are the best quality/size I have seen. But I I am not sure that will leave me with adequate depth to install cup holders. The shallow ones I have seen are 2.5” deep. Thinking I can use 1 1/2” foam in the rail and would need a base depth of 1 1/2”. Concerned that would add a good amount of weight to the rails. But looking like my only option really.

Correct me if I’m wrong but you want to have a 54” playing surface and then a 5-6” wide rail additional for a total diameter of 64-66”? That is going to be a very big table and hard to play on.

You could make a 5” rail which will give you a 44” playing surface which is more than adequate. If you add a 1” overhang by way of a lip, that will increase your total diameter to 56” for a 46” playing surface.

The table toppers from @rjdev7 are designed to sit inside the rails and would be perfect for what you want.

I hope this makes sense!

So after a lot of searching, and realizing there are limited option for attractive toppers 50” or greater. I think I will end up building 6” rails that over hang table 5”, taking the playing surface to 49”. This will allow me to grab one of those Titan toppers. Those are the best quality/size I have seen. But I I am not sure that will leave me with adequate depth to install cup holders. The shallow ones I have seen are 2.5” deep. Thinking I can use 1 1/2” foam in the rail and would need a base depth of 1 1/2”. Concerned that would add a good amount of weight to the rails. But looking like my only option really.

You need to take the width off all the way around so if your rail comes in 5” on the table on one side, it comes in 5” on the other side so your playing surface is now actually 44”.

You need to take the width off all the way around so if your rail comes in 5” on the table on one side, it comes in 5” on the other side so your playing surface is now actually 44”.
You are 100% correct. Probably one too many whiskey last night when posting. Which actually solves my problem on the cup holders.

So if I go with the Triton topper that is “50 I assume best look would be for the rail to sit over the top of the mat? Say an inch. So playable surface is 49”.

And to RaginAZN’s point I don’t really have any concept of what size playing surface I should be shooting for with a 8 person max table. Is it 48, or 44 etc.

Thanks both for the reply

Correct me if I’m wrong but you want to have a 54” playing surface and then a 5-6” wide rail additional for a total diameter of 64-66”? That is going to be a very big table and hard to play on.

You could make a 5” rail which will give you a 44” playing surface which is more than adequate. If you add a 1” overhang by way of a lip, that will increase your total diameter to 56” for a 46” playing surface.

The table toppers from @rjdev7 are designed to sit inside the rails and would be perfect for what you want.

I hope this makes sense!
My table is 54”. I was always shooting for 50-52” playing surface. But I don’t really have any context if that is too big. So I appreciate your input on that. I think and this point I just want the rails to have cup holders, as these will be casual games, so that will probably be my determining factor on end playing surface size.
If it ends up in the 48” and lower range I’ll definitely give @rjdev7 a buzz and see what that looks like. As I understand he can’t do wider than 48”.

Thanks for the reply!

My tables are 60” diameter with 6” rails for a playing surface of 48”. We fit 8 people pretty comfortably and can do 9 when needed but its pretty snug.

IMG_2075.jpeg

I believe @CraigT78 has 54” or 56” round tables?

Playing surface area is not that important as such. The most important variable is the actual diameter of the table. Round tables bigger than 60” diameter are too big and hard to play on. 54” may be best for 6-7 I think? However since yours is actually a leaf shape, there’s a bit more length so may work for 8.

Also your cup holders will have a say in your rail width. If you’re using jumbo ones, I wouldn’t go smaller than 6” otherwise they will be hard to fit.

My toppers are from @rjdev7 and are well worth it!

Reactions: SPR
My tables are 60” diameter with 6” rails for a playing surface of 48”. We fit 8 people pretty comfortably and can do 9 when needed but its pretty snug.

View attachment 1293543

I believe @CraigT78 has 54” or 56” round tables?

Playing surface area is not that important as such. The most important variable is the actual diameter of the table. Round tables bigger than 60” diameter are too big and hard to play on. 54” may be best for 6-7 I think? However since yours is actually a leaf shape, there’s a bit more length so may work for 8.

Also your cup holders will have a say in your rail width. If you’re using jumbo ones, I wouldn’t go smaller than 6” otherwise they will be hard to fit.

My toppers are from @rjdev7 and are well worth it!
I think I have 58". Perfect for 7 handed poker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom