Bourbon. (1 Viewer)

I am just getting in to bourbon and have a lot to learn. Not sure why I like certain ones over others just yet. But it is fun learning!!

I currently have:
  • Bulleit Rye
  • Four Roses Single Barrel
  • Four Roses Small Batch
  • Knobb Creek Small batch
Here are the others I wish to try:
  • Makers Mark
  • Elijah Craig Small
  • Larceny
  • William Larue Weller
  • WL Weller 12
  • Bookers
  • Pappy Van Winkle 23 (LOL, I am not rich)
  • George T Stagg
  • Blantons Single
  • Wild Turkey 101
  • Buffalo Trace
  • Noah's Mill
  • Woodford Reserve (b/c official bourbon of the Derby)
  • Old Forester

You should throw Knob Creek Rye and Knob Creek Barrel proof on that "try" list.

Been enjoying this one over the holiday's. Seems to be a pretty good value at about $25-$30/bottle

Edit: Whisky though, not bourbon

1546625619956.png

Last edited:
For an everyday drinker you can't beat Old Forester. Good enough to drink neat, rocks, or mix it if that's your thing. Price point is great! I keep a 1.75 stocked at all times for the poker game.

Others have mentioned Elijah Craig, Bulliet and Weller (if you can find it anymore). All are great at their price.
I also love Michter's….. especially the rye!

Jack reuses their barrels. Bourbon only uses virgin barrels. That's pretty much the only difference
Not according to their website. I had to look this morning because I thought that was the hang up as well

A946851E-708A-4851-865D-0F45F2471FE2.png

Jack reuses their barrels. Bourbon only uses virgin barrels. That's pretty much the only difference

Jack Daniels? I don't think they do, they have a full barrel making operation at their distillery. Based on the what the folks working their said, once a barrel is used once, it's sold off to different companies for flavor enhancement (BBQ sauce, hot sauce, beer, scotch, etc) or as ornaments in the local shops.

There is a major bourbon thread on here already with lots and lots of discussion. Search bourbon, whisky, or whiskey and you should find it. Tons of good suggestions.

I used to think this until I was schooled by someone with way more knowledge on the subject, that person being the awesome @ChaosRock .

I know this to be true as a professional bartender.

IIRC jack’s mash Bill is 80% corn, which legally makes it a corn whiskey not a bourbon.

They also subject it to maple charcoal filtering which is known as the Lincoln county process which adds some sugar and charcoal which is another no-no to be considered bourbon.

Jack Daniel’s own FAQ also states that it is not a bourbon

947B2384-7366-4655-86C7-D4A1FAE88C22.jpeg

And the requirements for it to be called bourbon is?????

Made in US
With new charred oak barrels

And

At least 51% corn mash

Maybe the charcoal filtering prevents it from being 125 proof at barrel time.

Point was by all requirements they could be called bourbon but chose to call it Tennessee Whiskey.

Jack Daniel’s is 100% NOT bourbon
Listened to an interesting podcast with their master distiller a couple weeks ago. Per federal regulation they could technically be a “bourbon” - at least 51% corn mash bill, aged in new white oak barrels for a minimum of 2 years, distilled at max 160proof aged at Max 125 proof. They choose to call it “Tennessee Whiskey” to differentiate it due to their charcoal mellowing/filtration product. They wanted to be something different from the masses of bourbons on the market.

Being from the bourbon state, I like to think all bourbon comes from KY. But that is not the case. But I do think the bourbon gods did say that in order to be bourbon it absolutely cannot come from Tennessee. o_O

From https://www.jackdaniels.com/en-us/vault/our-barrels

Only new American White Oak barrels mature our whiskey. After the barrels are done imparting their flavor to our whiskey, we sell them to hot sauce makers, beer brewers, and Scotch whisky distillers who will reuse them several more times.

Like I said, Jack Daniel's is legally bourbon.

Regardless, people will believe what they want. I’ll take my 16ish years behind the bar, our Jack rep, and our whiskey warden/sommelier’s experience over what most people say.

Regardless, people will believe what they want. I’ll take my 16ish years behind the bar, our Jack rep, and our whiskey warden/sommelier’s experience over what most people say.

Your Jack rep is most definitely never going to refer to it as bourbon due to their Tennessee Whiskey marketing angle.

To be Tennessee Whiskey, according to Wikipedia, it must go through the Lincoln County Process while following the basic laws of bourbon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Daniel's#Legal_status

On May 13, 2013, Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam signed House Bill 1084, requiring the Lincoln County process to be used for products produced in the state labeling themselves as "Tennessee Whiskey", with a particular exception tailored to exempt Benjamin Prichard's, and including the existing requirements for bourbon.[52][53] As federal law requires statements of origin on labels to be accurate, the Tennessee law effectively gives a firm definition to Tennessee whiskey, requiring Tennessee origin, maple charcoal filtering by the Lincoln County process prior to aging, and the basic requirements of bourbon (at least 51% corn, new oak barrels, charring of the barrels, and limits on alcohol by volume concentration for distillation, aging, and bottling).

Just because it goes through an extra process to become Tennessee Whiskey doesn't disqualify it from being legally bourbon also.

Your Jack rep is most definitely never going to refer to it as bourbon due to their Tennessee Whiskey marketing angle.

To be Tennessee Whiskey, according to Wikipedia, it must go through the Lincoln County Process while following the basic laws of bourbon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Daniel's#Legal_status

Just because it goes through an extra process to become Tennessee Whiskey doesn't disqualify it from being legally bourbon also.

You’re actually proving me correct. Regardless if it has to go through the basic processes, it still is not bourbon because of what is added to it during filtering

Edit: the basic requirements except for water being the only additive

Don't we already have a whiskey thread? :whistle: :whistling:

Truth be told I'm more of a bourbon guy too.

Back on topic, a current cross section of the garage bourbon shelf (minus some Bulleit seasoning a mini oak barrel). I’ve been drinking a lot of the Knob Creek Single barrel store picks lately.
View attachment 233462

I'm a fan of most of those. Never had the JB distillers cut, no the Vanwinkle. I'd drink anything that you offered me lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom