Bourbon. (1 Viewer)

While my daily drinker is Bulleit Rye, I have a few bourbons on the bar including Bulleit, Basil Hayden, and Woodford Reserve. I'm not a fan of Knob Creek.

I keep telling myself I need to branch out a bit, but nine times out of ten when I walk into the liquor store for a bottle, I come out with Bulleit Rye. I adore the stuff. :rolleyes:

Also, in hopes of settling the Jack Daniels issue, I believe that JD is legally a bourbon but not legally a straight bourbon. The "no additives" law [CFR 5.23(a)(3)(iii)] only applies to straight whiskey, and JD meets all requirements to be classified as a (non-straight) bourbon per CFR 5.22(b)(1)(i).

Also, in hopes of settling the Jack Daniels issue, I believe that JD is legally a bourbon but not legally a straight bourbon. The "no additives" law [CFR 5.23(a)(3)(iii)] only applies to straight whiskey, and JD meets all requirements to be classified as a (non-straight) bourbon per CFR 5.22(b)(1)(i).

The debate will never be settled as there will always be those that still think JD is not a bourbon, SMH... Yes, it is a bourbon. And yes, it is a straight bourbon (aged at least two years). I've seen that discussion in bourbons forums for years, but just like there's flat earthers, there's the JD bourbon deniers, LOL!

The maple filtration is not a flavor addition, just a filtration as the name says. There are plenty of other "straight bourbons" that use the same method and no one debates if they are bourbon (they are). The "mellowing" that JD claims comes from a subtraction of flavor and not addition. Again it filters particles.

Even the below will not settle the dispute I guess. Its JD's official bourbon approval. Again, official.

Last edited:
I thought the Jack Daniels thing was pretty simple - they meet the requirement needed to call it a bourbon if they choose, but that doesn’t mean they HAVE to call it a bourbon. All bourbons are still whiskey.... right?....

The debate will never be settled as there will always be those that still think JD is not a bourbon, SMH... Yes, it is a bourbon. And yes, it is a straight bourbon (aged at least two years). I've seen that discussion in bourbons forums for years, but just like there's flat earthers, there's the JD bourbon deniers, LOL!

The maple filtration is not a flavor addition, just a filtration as the name says. There are plenty of other "straight bourbons" that use the same method and no one debates if they are bourbon (they are). The "mellowing" that JD claims comes from a subtraction of flavor and not addition. Again it filters particles.

Even the below will not settle the dispute I guess. Its JD's official bourbon approval. Again, official.

View attachment 247479

Regardless of what people consider it to be, it doesn't taste that good ;)
I get the flat earth analogy, but not quite the same debating the nuances of legalese vs someone who doesn't understand physics (yet denies it).
fyi, there really is no such thing as a flat earther.. just people who have broken brains.. help them when you can, abandon them when you can't.

@ChaosRock
I did end up grabbing the blood oath trilogy at a nice discount. Pact 5 is available for pre order through cask cellars if anyone is interested

I keep telling myself I need to branch out a bit, but nine times out of ten when I walk into the liquor store for a bottle, I come out with Bulleit Rye. I adore the stuff. :rolleyes:
My local Target has Bulleit Bourbon and Rye for $27/bottle, so I picked up one of each. Occasionally I'll drink it straight, but I mostly drink an old fashioned,

My new favorite recipe:
Rub inside of glass with orange peel
3 dashes Angostura bitters
Demerara simple syrup
2oz. (ok, 2.5 :) ) Bulleit Rye

My local Target has Bulleit Bourbon and Rye for $27/bottle, so I picked up one of each. Occasionally I'll drink it straight, but I mostly drink an old fashioned,

My new favorite recipe:
Demerara simple syrup

I just started drinking bourbon and whisky last November and its because I wanted to make Old Fashioned.

My first Old Fashioned was:
Jack Rudy Bitters
La Perruche Brown Sugar Cube
Toasted Orange Peel
2oz of Bulleit Bourbon
It was great.

I recently switched to Larceny Bourbon and Angostura Bitters with Regan Orange Bitters. Also good

I'll have to try the orange peel rubbed in the glass trick.

Cheers

I just started drinking bourbon and whisky last November and its because I wanted to make Old Fashioned.

My first Old Fashioned was:
Jack Rudy Bitters
La Perruche Brown Sugar Cube
Toasted Orange Peel
2oz of Bulleit Bourbon
It was great.

I recently switched to Larceny Bourbon and Angostura Bitters with Regan Orange Bitters. Also good

I'll have to try the orange peel rubbed in the glass trick.

Cheers
I made and drank my first OF for my dad's 80th birthday, as part of a toast to him. It was always his drink, but I was never much of a drinker, so I never tried one. Instantly hooked, but not in a drunkard sort of way. ;)

it was special order, but i got one someone didnt claim. I made a deal with the employee if any others dont get claimed within 2 weeks, i'll take them. He has my number. They have 9 total
If you can get anymore I’ll trade you money/chips/bourbon for one haha

Just had some Larceny (neat).. not too bad, especially for the price.
A bit sharp on the tongue, alcohol / heat is forward and lingers.
Fairly sweet and a bit of oak.. ok finish, but not long.

My new favorite recipe:
Demerara simple syrup
I almost never mix whiskey, even with water. I've been known to have a rare Jack and Diet Coke, but normally nothing touches my whiskey except my lips.

However, this past Christmas I took a quickie egg nog recipe and made it my own, and I couldn't get enough of it. It takes two minutes to make, and it is amazing:

2oz bourbon or rye (Bulleit Rye was my go-to)
1/2oz each: cognac, amaretto, simple syrup, heavy cream
1 egg

Shake well over a couple of ice cubes, strain into a glass (you don't want the chalazae, that white cord from the egg, in your drink) and garnish with FRESHLY GRATED nutmeg.

The alcohol content should be high enough to kill anything living in the egg, but if you're concerned use pasteurized eggs.

Damn y’all first you got me spending more money on chips than I ever thought I’d spend now you have me spending more money on liquids than I ever thought I’d spend. How do I get banned so I can save money and time?

Has anyone here ever done an 'Infinity Bottle'?

We started one a few months ago. There are quite a few bottles of bourbon that make guest appearances here on poker night. The idea is that we pull off an ounce or two from every bottle that comes through and build our own poker house blend. Then at the end of the night we all have a little taster of the current results and convince ourselves how it's getting better every month. :)

Kinda fun because guys are now trying to bring bottles that haven't been in the Infinity blend yet. It's become a special thing and a nice little tradition because we've all contributed to it and we all consider it 'ours'. Without a doubt this is my most prized bottle in the house.

Edit... now that I see the pic, I definitely need to class up that blend list a bit.

We started one a few months ago. There are quite a few bottles of bourbon that make guest appearances here on poker night. The idea is that we pull off an ounce or two from every bottle that comes through and build our own poker house blend. Then at the end of the night we all have a little taster of the current results and convince ourselves how it's getting better every month. :)

Kinda fun because guys are now trying to bring bottles that haven't been in the Infinity blend yet. It's become a special thing and a nice little tradition because we've all contributed to it and we all consider it 'ours'. Without a doubt this is my most prized bottle in the house.

View attachment 248003

Edit... now that I see the pic, I definitely need to class up that blend list a bit.

That's awesome, definitely going to start one of those when the bar is finished.

View attachment 248003

Never heard of this until about a week ago, and now this is the second place that I’m seeing it. Guess it’s time to start one!!

I started one
Currently has:
Hibiki Harmony
Nikka Coffey Grain
Monkey Shoulder
I used the Hibiki Bottle

I would like to start a bourbon one as well

I started one
Currently has:
Hibiki Harmony
Nikka Coffey Grain
Monkey Shoulder
I used the Hibiki Bottle

I would like to start a bourbon one as well
You made me look up the Hibiki Harmony bottle.... Awesome! Definitely think I may need one of those bottles - looks like there's a couple empty ones on eBay. Did you take the label off?

You made me look up the Hibiki Harmony bottle.... Awesome! Definitely think I may need one of those bottles - looks like there's a couple empty ones on eBay. Did you take the label off?

I did not take the label off because it was still 1/4 full. It really is a gorgeous bottle.

For the bourbon infinity bottle, I plan to use the Blantons bottle. But I missed out on the last drop.

If you’re looking to try a new Brown Liquor, and are willing to splurge a bit, I have been delving into cognac’s cousin, armagnac.

The stuff below is the best deal I’ve found—Delord, 25 freaking years old. One of my regs made the discovery.

I have a source locally that sells it at $65 a bottle, but have seen it upwards of $90. (Big discrepancy there—my local source may wise up.) And delicious. I drink about half as much by volume as with bourbon/scotch/whiskey, and enjoy it more, at least right now for the variety.

C1625988-690D-4B54-ABC7-6C3D3615DA60.png

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but one of my buddies put me on to Old Grandad 114 - it's a bit one-note but for $20 a bottle, it's a bargain. I'm drinking it right now.

old-grand-dad-114-barrel-proof-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey-usa-10456950.jpg

Commenting to cast a vote for Michter's and to add one more into the mix. Definitely on the pricey side for bourbon, but Barrel is my go to if I'm looking to switch things up or give a gift to someone into bourbon.

My everyday driver though is Knob Creek.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom