Bourbon. (1 Viewer)

In the cabinet currently:

Evan Williams (for mixing)
Elijah Craig SB
Bulleit
Buffalo Trace
Bulleit Rye

Knob Creek and Basil Hayden are my usuals around the house, in the mid-priced range. But one of the regs in my home game opened a distillery last year and is making whiskeys... So once these get old enough to get good, I’ll probably be sticking with that!

Jack Daniels? I don't think they do, they have a full barrel making operation at their distillery. Based on the what the folks working their said, once a barrel is used once, it's sold off to different companies for flavor enhancement (BBQ sauce, hot sauce, beer, scotch, etc) or as ornaments in the local shops.
I did the tour in '03 and I swore they mentioned the barrels would be reused. I did the bourbon trail in '10 and i thought i was told this fact more than once. I guess I made it up. o_O

I did the tour in '03 and I swore they mentioned the barrels would be reused. I did the bourbon trail in '10 and i thought i was told this fact more than once. I guess I made it up. o_O

Possible they mentioned it. Probably meant by whomever they resold the barrels to perhaps.

34C9E27D-2FCA-49C8-84B1-236248CDAB3E.jpeg

I think Knob Creek is my favorite of what I’ve had lately.

So the whole is JD bourbon controversy can be boiled down to one issue. JD filters their whiskey through charcoal. Some people believe this is an additive, others do not. The folks who do not will cite that every whiskey stored in a charred barrel is already in contact with charcoal. I personally don’t care and neither should you. It’s semantics.

Don’t just confine yourself to bourbon, though. Explore the world of whiskey. If you think poker chips are a money pit, wait till you start collecting whiskey.

Try the single barrel, one of my new favorites, a hell of a deal under $40

Currently sipping the single barrel rye which is also super tasty
View attachment 238277

I didn’t even know there was a single barrel Rye. I live in the sticks and my local bottle shop doesn’t have the single barrel bourbon. But it’ll go on my to-do list. I wasn’t sure what to think when I saw it was 120 proof, it tastes better than the small batch though?

It’s more sweet, syrupy and concentrated flavor than the small batch, basically turned up a notch. It’s got a little heat, but I drink it neat, a splash of water opens it up nicely too.

This was the first time I’d had the single barrel rye, they just started doing it this year, and just released a barrel proof rye I haven’t tried yet
I didn’t even know there was a single barrel Rye. I live in the sticks and my local bottle shop doesn’t have the single barrel bourbon. But it’ll go on my to-do list. I wasn’t sure what to think when I saw it was 120 proof, it tastes better than the small batch though?

Go to for day to day in mix drinks and sometimes on the rocks is Buffalo Trace. Hard to get in Wis. so trips to Bourbon country are always in order. Have a few from Texas on the mantle and an Oceans bottle.

So the whole is JD bourbon controversy can be boiled down to one issue. JD filters their whiskey through charcoal. Some people believe this is an additive, others do not. The folks who do not will cite that every whiskey stored in a charred barrel is already in contact with charcoal. I personally don’t care and neither should you. It’s semantics.

Don’t just confine yourself to bourbon, though. Explore the world of whiskey. If you think poker chips are a money pit, wait till you start collecting whiskey. View attachment 238271

Wow..nice collection. are they all unopened?..Any Hibiki 17 in there? wanna trade anything?

Don’t just confine yourself to bourbon, though. Explore the world of whiskey. If you think poker chips are a money pit, wait till you start collecting whiskey. View attachment 238271

Nice!! I'm getting anxiety, however, wondering if those shelves are anchored to the walls or not.

Nice!! I'm getting anxiety, however, wondering if those shelves are anchored to the walls or not.

Not anchored. I only use the finest shelves that IKEA has to offer.

Honestly not worried about it. I don’t live in an earthquake-prone area. No pets to kock it over. No kids to pull the shelves down. Although, if I take a tumble down my stairs, I will be showered in whiskey.

What kind of chips tickle your fancy? I don’t know if I have any bourbon you’d like. Buffalo trace? Angels envy?

Looking for Grand Victoria, Horseshoe Cleavland, and Empress. I’d be down to trade samples of whiskey if you’re interested.

Picked this up today

Booker’s 30th

View attachment 247364

Color me jealous.. Booker's is one of my favorite firewaters
Also from Jim Beam's small batch line:
  • Knob Creek.. another favorite for the price (always have some version on my shelf and recently enjoying a single barrel reserve - hot stuff at 120 proof)
  • Baker's is good.
  • Basil Hayden.. not bad, but not a big fan.
Opened a Noah's Mill not too long ago and it was pretty disappointing.. used to be a better bourbon. I'd be ok with it at maybe 1/2 the price.
Now it will be relegated to mixed drink duties in the summertime.. "Kentucky Palmers" as I call them - basically an Arnold Palmer with bourbon (and some basil or mint as an alternative).

it was special order, but i got one someone didnt claim. I made a deal with the employee if any others dont get claimed within 2 weeks, i'll take them. He has my number. They have 9 total

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom