Bourbon. (1 Viewer)

Quad Johnson

Two Pair
Reaction score
So I stopped drinking for a while and after visiting my uncle for Thanksgiving and drinking some good whiskey with him from his stash, I've gotten back into it.

Holy crap, what happened to bourbon? Some things are so overpriced and hard to find now.

What bourbon do you like? What's a daily go to? A special occasion sipper?

Out of the dozen or so bourbons I've sampled since Thanksgiving, my two favorites so far are Wild Turkey 101 for an affordable pour and Larceny for when I'm feeling "high class". :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

How about you?

Although not a bourbon, I’m also a huge fan of this particular Jack Daniel’s single barrel, barrel strength select whiskey.

It is our own private barrel chosen by our bar manager and is much different from the classic Jack Daniel’s that should be put out to pasture IMO.

We’ll be opening this bottle during our next game on Sunday.

29EA043B-8854-4CEF-9E3F-267FA0F102D6.jpeg

My most frequent go-to for years has been Maker's Mark, with Four Roses as back-up.
Bulleit and especially Bulleit Rye have a fan in me too.
Woodford Reserve is my preference among the more expensive ones.
Poker has helped me abstain considerably:D

Although not a bourbon, I’m also a huge fan of this particular Jack Daniel’s single barrel, barrel strength select whiskey.

It is our own private barrel chosen by our bar manager and is much different from the classic Jack Daniel’s that should be put out to pasture IMO.

We’ll be opening this bottle during our next game on Sunday.

View attachment 233354

Jack, by all merits of legally calling something bourbon, is bourbon. They just choose to market themselves as a "Tennessee whiskey". By all accounts, they're technically a bourbon and under export laws to other countries, Jack Daniel's classification is a bourbon, no matter how much the folks in Lynchburg want to stammer their feet and say it's something different. :LOL: :laugh:

And JD Single Barrel is definitely some good stuff and "store picks" or "bar picks", as is the case here, are usually the choicest of the barrel line ups too so that's definitely a great one to have around. :)

My most frequent go-to for years has been Maker's Mark, with Four Roses as back-up.
Bulleit and especially Bulleit Rye have a fan in me too.
Woodford Reserve is my preference among the more expensive ones.
Poker has helped me abstain considerably:D

Try Larceny! I like it better than Maker's but similar soft wheat profile. Maker's is my go to bar bourbon, since most locations will have it, but there is a lot of good stuff out there. I will almost always pick something else.

My favorites are Even Williams Single barrel, Booker's, and Weller 12 year/antique....

When I managed a liquor store before the bourbon boom, we opened Weller 12 Year and Special Reserve at wine tastings to let people sample. We couldn't give the stuff away! Now it's on store lottery's for the one to two bottles they get in occasionally and cost twice as much.

Like I said before, what happened to bourbon?! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Oh man.... Weller is my favorite and my daily drinker. No idea why someone wouldn't like it. It's so smooth

Asia and Europe have discovered Bourbon and they have an insatiable appetite right now. Although (not to get political, but it is relevant) the change in trade policies will probably work to American's favor in the bourbon industry I would imagine.

My cabinet has these bourbons

Blanton's
russels reserve
jeffersons(several varieties)
Elijah (standard issue and small batch)
makers
buffalo trace
bulliet
wild turkey
wellers
charter
and a few others

I strongly encourage you to try some ryes as well

Bulliet has a really decent one for the money

Oh man.... Weller is my favorite and my daily drinker. No idea why someone wouldn't like it. It's so smooth

Weller is a great bourbon but what I don’t understand is why is a bourbon being “smooth” a benchmark of what makes it great? Not challenging your opinion, I’m genuinely asking.

I do like many “smooth” bourbons but these days see them as a little bland and prefer some much more complex with a long finish including rye, barrel strength, and port/sherry/Madeira/etc. cask finishes.

Weller is a great bourbon but what I don’t understand is why is a bourbon being “smooth” a benchmark of what makes it great? Not challenging your opinion, I’m genuinely asking.

I do like many “smooth” bourbons but these days see them as a little bland and prefer some much more complex with a long finish including rye, barrel strength, and port/sherry/Madeira/etc. cask finishes.

I have the same opinion as you do. I often prefer something with a little spice/bite to it. Maybe that is why I fricken love the barrel strength bourbons!!

I like a drink for what I'm feeling. If I want some bite, I'll have some Booker's. Weller has a great taste but a smooth finish, which I enjoy. Personally, I hate four roses. It's way too peppery for me to enjoy. To each there own I guess.

I like a drink for what I'm feeling. If I want some bite, I'll have some Booker's. Weller has a great taste but a smooth finish, which I enjoy. Personally, I hate four roses. It's way too peppery for me to enjoy. To each there own I guess.

No need to have to explain how or why you like a particular whiskey.

A very popular one I picked up last month was Four Roses Single Barrel which is very well loved among a lot of forums and websites.

Quality bourbon, not my favorite. Don't think I'll be picking up a bottle again any time soon either.

Different strokes for different folks.

No need to have to explain how or why you like a particular whiskey.

A very popular one I picked up last month was Four Roses Single Barrel which is very well loved among a lot of forums and websites.

Quality bourbon, not my favorite. Don't think I'll be picking up a bottle again any time soon either.

Different strokes for different folks.
Yeah, I had some Four Roses single barrel and was totally disappointed. It was fine, but we had 3-4 open bottles and I wasn't going revisit it again. But my friend Don thinks it's one if the best

I just picked some of this up for the holidays. It's a decent bourbon. I'm no connoisseur by any means, but it does the job.

1546618626163.png

I just picked some of this up for the holidays. It's a decent bourbon. I'm no connoisseur by any means, but it does the job.

View attachment 233387

Kirkland aka Costco Brand is actually pretty good in many cases. My friend told me their coffee is the same as starbucks and just rebranded. I have no way to verify this but its what I heard. I think many of the Kirkland brands are good brands which are just rebranded but all the shit is made in the same factory.

Kirkland aka Costco Brand is actually pretty good in many cases. My friend told me their coffee is the same as starbucks and just rebranded. I have no way to verify this but its what I heard. I think many of the Kirkland brands are good brands which are just rebranded but all the shit is made in the same factory.

I've read the Trader Joe's house bourbon brand is pretty decent as well.

Yeah, I had some Four Roses single barrel and was totally disappointed. It was fine, but we had 3-4 open bottles and I wasn't going revisit it again. But my friend Don thinks it's one if the best

Same, very disappointed. I personally prefer $30/handle WT101 to $40/fifth 4RSiB.

To be clear, I'm not stating it was a bad bourbon. Drinkable and if I was offered it, I would by no means turn my nose up to it. However I was hoping to rave about it like many online praises seemed to. Thankfully, with so many fantastic options on the market, I don't have to like it! Currently I have a bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. Good stuff but once again, not quite what I was hoping or had in my mind. Growing on me more as I revisit it though.

A family member purchased me a bottle of Jim Beam Double Oaked as a Christmas gift. I was very grateful and there's much worse bourbons to receive as gifts. Smooth and very drinkable however easily forgettable. And at around $20/fifth, it's got some really tough competition in it's price point. While it's the first Beam product I've liked in a long time, it's easily lost in a sea of fantastic whiskeys in it's shelf placement.

Not sure what my next "adventurous" purchase will be.

I always have a bottle of Elijah Craig on hand. At $30 bucks a bottle, I'm very happy with its price point. Its better than most bourbons that are in the $50 dollar price range.

I think Basil Hayden is over priced and boring. I've never had the dark ryle. Unless its gifted to me, I probably won't buy it. I like four roses. I don't normally buy it. I will definitely drink it. @Perthmike had @mike32 get me a bottle of bourbon last year. It was one of the JD bottles. For the life of me I can't remember what it was. HOLY shit was it ever good!!!!

The fact it's 100+ proof and actually has an age statement is very impressive! How much was this bottle? I may have to visit Costco myself to try some. I love finding sleeper quality brands.

It was $43. However that is in Washington State where we tax the living shit out of alcohol. So it's going to be cheaper basically everywhere.

I am just getting in to bourbon and have a lot to learn. Not sure why I like certain ones over others just yet. But it is fun learning!!

I currently have:
  • Bulleit Rye
  • Four Roses Single Barrel
  • Four Roses Small Batch
  • Knobb Creek Small batch
Here are the others I wish to try:
  • Makers Mark
  • Elijah Craig Small
  • Larceny
  • William Larue Weller
  • WL Weller 12
  • Bookers
  • Pappy Van Winkle 23 (LOL, I am not rich)
  • George T Stagg
  • Blantons Single
  • Wild Turkey 101
  • Buffalo Trace
  • Noah's Mill
  • Woodford Reserve (b/c official bourbon of the Derby)
  • Old Forester

• Old Forester

This is becoming one of my favorites. I like their bottom shelf brand. I love their 100 proof bottle. I think tonight I get to sample Old Forester Statesman. I hear great things about that specific bottle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom