Tourney BLINDS UP Tournament Manager for iPad/iPhone Review (1 Viewer)

I've used it almost a year and am able to work around any issue I've found. As @Redbelly has stated, this app is rock solid.

I think the app has awesome potential & for $5 i can't be too harsh.
BUT i am looking for an app to run my weekly league and with all the "little" things that don't work there is no use in changing to something that keeps track of the time.

I agree there are a lot of things that don't make sense until you figure them out and then they make total sense and are really cool. Does there happen to be a manual anywhere? I have read many of these posts from other users who just don't know how to do it or how the app really functions.

I have used this for the last 4 hours and have found these issues.
  • I have added and deleted multiple tourneys for $20 each. Currently I have deleted everything except 1 tourney to keep playing with and my users still have $80 worth of expenses but with only 1 $20 tourney that still exists. (See thumbnail #1 screen shot) I should have taken more screenshots along the way
  • Randomly running through the blinds Sharon announces a different blind value, if she announces a value at all. My selection clearly states 50/100 and she will either not announce anything or sometimes announce 5000/10000.
    I read your post about paying Sharon to record the voice recordings and understand now how her voice would not exist to state my blinds with the ante associated, but without it vocalizing it regardless of my custom levels that feature is completely unusable/nonexistant.
  • I have had the voice completely turned off and the blinds will be announced for random levels
  • The alarm for each round sometimes plays the Heart Beep sound I set up and sometimes it plays the default Alarm sound. The sound clearly has the Heart Beep selected, displays it as the selected sound and randomly plays the Alarm sound and/or changes random levels to the Alarm sound. I have went through an entire tourney and set up the Heart Beep sound, run through all the levels, everything worked great so I moved on to a different set up and then POW the Alarm sound is selected for a random round the 8th time I am running through things checking something else.
  • When you save a default structure (Rounds as an example) you can save several defaults all with the same name, I would expect it to ask me if I wanted to override the file since there was one with the same name already saved??
  • I have found no way to delete certain saved default structures.
    Rounds - How do you delete a default? There is no menu choice and you can't swipe left on it to get a delete option
    Prize Pool - Same as rounds
  • I run a weekly league where we play for a weekly payout and points towards a season total & champion. I set up a default weekly prize pool and when I save it the $$ values are all $0. After reading this entire thread I thought maybe it had something to do with players so I made sure my tourney had players assigned and the tourney has a $20 buy-in with all players paid but the prize pool still says 4 places paid at $0 each. If I add the prize pool individually to the tourney it all works fine but the values all change to $0 when saved as a preset.
  • Not a big deal but when the app is running and I select Players, touch a name and select Bust Out the app returns to the same screen showing all the players. Is there anywhere on this screen that shows me that I selected someone to bust out? If I get interrupted and/or am in the middle of a hand myself if I look away for 1 minute and then look back nothing on the screen shows me that I selected anyone to bust out.
  • How do you add players to a Championship? I see nothing on the championship screen and nothing on the individual player's screen. doubt this is a bug rather me not knowing how to do it.
    Figured this one out. When the individual tourney is associated with a championship and that tourney is completed it will populate the championship with the players from the tourney. Another one of the "Once you know things"
    Is there a way to edit the prize pool for a championship? It looks like it self populated a value, not sure where it got it from, but we have a separate buy-in devoted to the season ending winner(s) and if possible I would love to be able to edit the Prize pool myself.
  • I set up points for my tournament, long story short we give out points for the top 9 in our weekly game. I set this up for my test tourney, saved it as a preset and when I completed the tourney it gave points to no one. (See Thumbnail #2)
Anyone have any solutions for these or know what I may be doing wrong? Does your app give the same issues? Like I said I am using this on an iPhone 6+ just to try it out, maybe that has something to do with it??

20160822_035130000_iOS.png 20160822_045743000_iOS.png

Last edited:
I think I will launch the beta during july. I had to switch to another project since a few weeks. I'm developer and I give priority to my clients, so I have to put my own projects (like Blinds Up) on hold sometimes. But the new version, which will be called 2.0 because there is a lot of new features, is almost finished and beta tests will start soon!

Is the app in beta yet? Im happy to help out where I can.

There will be so much new features in the next version that we can consider it as a new generation (mainly source code speaking). So jump directly to version 2.x is logic

Hi. Any updates on the app?

I bought the pro version today and I really like it, been playing with it since I got off work. Not sure what's all going to be added in 2.0, but I have a suggestion. . I really love the design function, but if you could add an option for moving the elements by pixel with an on screen arrow set. I'm OCD about stuff like spacing and everything lining up. This is a pretty nit picky thing maybe, but if it would be easy to add it would make the layout I can't do on my own so much easier :) And maybe an option to have a players name element in design? I know this wouldn't work for large games, but I only play a single table and it would be pretty cool to see the names listed on the screen. And maybe when one gets taken out it could draw a line thru their name.

excellent app! I can't wait for 2.0, is the beta still open? I would LOVE to try it out.

I didn't give up anything :)

The way the app was coded was not really great for updates. Not flexible at all.
So I decided a few months ago to fully recode the app in a new way, that will be really more flexible for introducing new features in the future.
But of course, recode an app entirely takes a lot of time, knowing that I not only recode the app, but I add a lot of features.
It will lead to a version 2.0 with a bunch of new features! Already tested in private tourneys with my friends and they love it :)

I hope to release this in early 2017, maybe february. This will be the only one time where the app will remain without update during a such long time, but that's necessary to prepare the future... that will be great! My todo list has never been so long.

Thanks for your support!

The way the app was coded was not really great for updates. Not flexible at all.
So I decided a few months ago to fully recode the app in a new way, that will be really more flexible for introducing new features in the future.
But of course, recode an app entirely takes a lot of time, knowing that I not only recode the app, but I add a lot of features.
It will lead to a version 2.0 with a bunch of new features! Already tested in private tourneys with my friends and they love it :)

I hope to release this in early 2017, maybe february. This will be the only one time where the app will remain without update during a such long time, but that's necessary to prepare the future... that will be great! My todo list has never been so long.

Thanks for your support!

Great. I will continue to use and support the app!

Thanks for your support!

Is it too much to hope that Android will be in there somewhere...?

Thanks for your support!

@Blinds Up Android? :D

Maybe already answered but I'm too lazy to look. Does this app have a "cast" feature?

Maybe already answered but I'm too lazy to look. Does this app have a "cast" feature?

Not Chromecast but uses Apple mirroring, which is really neat if you have a Apple TV + iPhone.

I went to California public schools, so suffice to say I suck at math. I'm looking at the point formulas and they look like Chinese to me lol.

Is there for a formula that calculates points when you take a player out? I see the NBXP broken down, but in the built in formulas I'm seeing a lot of other stuff and have absolutely no idea what's what.

5) So I managed to create a chipset and can now add and delete chips! One question I did have though was how they display on the layout page. There is a white ring around them. Anyway to remove it and make it blend into whatever background I have (i.e. make it transparent). Changing the background color and transparency in the element settings does not affect the white ring.

Full_Size_Render_1.jpg

Any ideas how to fix this?

Am I doing something wrong? When I minimize the app on my iPad, the tournament clock stops....

Hey guys, I want to upgrade to Pro but am not sure what option to upgrade to?? Does the ipad version have more features? Can you stream with the lightning cable on tje ipad only or does it work equally as well from an iphone?

Thank you!!

I'm still here, and still working on it.
Got a baby recently... nights shorter, tiredness greater, work slower! ;)

Congrats!!

I'm not really sure what all the "bugs" people keep referring to. Are these for people using a phone to run the app? I use an iPad and it's nearly flawless. I utilize a lot of features, and they all work as expected. This is by far the best tourney software/program imho. I airplay this to a TV in another room, and use this for regular tourneys, including a couple of meet ups (with zero complaints from attendees).

Keep up the good work.

My main issue with the app, really my only issue, is that I can't get payouts to work as I want with a variable formula. Otherwise, all good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom