Tourney BLINDS UP Tournament Manager for iPad/iPhone Review (1 Viewer)

Okay, there was a recent update and the one review on the App Store that talks about it says it’s a lot less buggy. Which is good, question though

I looked and looked thru the settings and am not seeing where to set the sounds. I don’t remember where it was before, but, unless I’m blind it’s been removed? I’m using it as the free version until I see much more positive feedback about the bugginess of it. If anyone running the latest could you please check and see for a sound setting?

Thanks

I used Blinds Up for my game last Friday, and it went really well. But it seems like there hasn't really been much progress lately and I'm wondering if people would invest in the pro version or not. There hasn't been a tweet or Facebook post in over a year, and there's no website.

Considering the subscription cost, do people find it worth it? Or should I be looking elsewhere if I'm looking to get started with an ongoing tourney manager.

I used Blinds Up for my game last Friday, and it went really well. But it seems like there hasn't really been much progress lately and I'm wondering if people would invest in the pro version or not. There hasn't been a tweet or Facebook post in over a year, and there's no website.

Considering the subscription cost, do people find it worth it? Or should I be looking elsewhere if I'm looking to get started with an ongoing tourney manager.

I think a lot of folks have moved to BlindValet. It is free for many home formats, and the phone remote option for pausing, stopping, starting, etc., is pretty damn handy.

They Dev was on PCF at some point. There was a lot of talk about app improvement. I dont think anything ever happened.

I could write a book about this.
I am on the beta team for this app, and have worked with the developer for several years.
I use the PRO Version weekly & I LOVE it. I also do not pay for it and couldn't feel good about recommending anyone else paying a subscription for it. If it were a one time fee that might be another thing.

The developer of BlindsUp is in France, I believe. He takes off for months at a time, we were messaging him at one point asking if the development was dead. He said he has many other projects he is working on. I believe it is a hobby for him. The recent update was only for a few minor things to do with IOS13, no changes to the app functionality. Changes come very slow and nothing has changed in at least 6-9 months.
He has spent a ton of time on it and it does do a ton of cool stuff. But there are many bugs and quirks, none that keep the app from functioning, but too many for something you would be paying a premium for.

There are a lot of free options if you are a light user and just need a timer with some blind structures.

For a heavy serious user I agree with Craig 100% that Tournament Director is the way to go. The developer of TD is very responsive and improving that product constantly. For the $$ you can't beat it.

I could write a book about this.
I am on the beta team for this app, and have worked with the developer for several years.
I use the PRO Version weekly & I LOVE it. I also do not pay for it and couldn't feel good about recommending anyone else paying a subscription for it. If it were a one time fee that might be another thing.

The developer of BlindsUp is in France, I believe. He takes off for months at a time, we were messaging him at one point asking if the development was dead. He said he has many other projects he is working on. I believe it is a hobby for him. The recent update was only for a few minor things to do with IOS13, no changes to the app functionality. Changes come very slow and nothing has changed in at least 6-9 months.
He has spent a ton of time on it and it does do a ton of cool stuff. But there are many bugs and quirks, none that keep the app from functioning, but too many for something you would be paying a premium for.

There are a lot of free options if you are a light user and just need a timer with some blind structures.

For a heavy serious user I agree with Craig 100% that Tournament Director is the way to go. The developer of TD is very responsive and improving that product constantly. For the $$ you can't beat it.

Wow... thank you for the transparency. It's nice having some one on "the inside."

Sounds like it could be a top tier product if the Dev gave it the proper attention. But I'm in no place to judge... having a kid I know first hand how life can pull you in 100 different directions at once.

Thanks again for the info! :tup:

I'm still jaded that I paid for the full version only for it to change to a subscription model. I use another app that did the same thing but old owners had the lifetime purchase honored.

I'm now using Poker Timer for STTs - very happy with it.

Sounds like it could be a top tier product if the Dev gave it the proper attention.

Its honestly not that far off. Like I said I use it every week. But I also know all the bugs/pitfalls. If the pro version weren't a subscription I would feel better about recommending it. But if I am paying a subscription for something I expect for things to be right and fixed in a timely manner when they aren't.

It's too bad. I liked the app for that one time, but appreciate the honesty. I definitely like what I can see about Tournament Director, I'd just prefer not to have to rely on a PC if possible. But that's not a complete deal breaker.

I'm still a die hard Tournament Director fan.

Same here. Had to dig DEEP to find my license key (from 2008) a few months ago......

I'm running whatever version I installed way back then. I could probably get away with Blind Valet and might just give it a whirl next month.

LoL, this may sound stupid, but my group freaking LOVED the knockout splash screens. They were posing for selfies with them when they knocked someone out, texting them to friends, etc. Any of these others support that?

I'm still jaded that I paid for the full version only for it to change to a subscription model.

This is an example of the shit that pissed a lot of people off. He said he was spending too much time on it and wasn't getting anything in return. He needed to up the fees or he would stop doing it.
I get that, there has to be a return for your investment of $$ or time.

It was changed to a subscription base when whatever version included syncing with your phone. I know that was a huge time suck for him but it has NEVER worked, but yet it is still promoted as a function.

I hate to say bad things about the app because I love it, but if I weren't getting all the full functions for free I would be using TD in a second.
(I actually have been running TD simultaneously for my tournaments because I see it as the future for me)

This is an example of the shit that pissed a lot of people off. He said he was spending too much time on it and wasn't getting anything in return. He needed to up the fees or he would stop doing it.
I get that, there has to be a return for your investment of $$ or time.
I agree on principal that he should be paid for his work. My problem is that I paid and only discovered when I booted up the app for a tourney and it asked me to buy a subscription. We ended up using a piece of paper and a countdown clock on my phone for that one.

If you change you app, change the app. Don't pass it off as the same one but with a new revenue model. Keep the old one with the old functionality and have the new one with the new stuff. This is no comment on the app or its functionality - I enjoyed using it while it worked and would have recommend to others. I don't now - not because it wasn't good but because the bait and switch has left a bad taste in my mouth. If I paid the $10 and used it for 10 years then I would feel differently. I paid the $10 and used it for a couple tourney and then had it shut down. Timing has a lot to do with my feelings on this issue.

I buy movies on iTunes. I buy so that I can watch them whenever I want. If they suddenly said "we're not making enough money" and start charging a monthly fee for something I already bought, I'm gonna be pissed.

Same here. Had to dig DEEP to find my license key (from 2008) a few months ago......

I'm running whatever version I installed way back then. I could probably get away with Blind Valet and might just give it a whirl next month.
I've changed computers so many times, as well as email providers back in the day. Each time I lost my key, I've emailed the developer and he sent it to me, no issues at all. We went all Mac a few years back, and was bummed I couldn't run TD, so I had to buy a laptop for that sole purpose. I'll never use anything else.

Mark

I had the same experience with Blinds up. I’m also on the dev team beta. Though not as active anymore. I was one of the very earlier promoters of this app, and highly recommend it. BUT things have changed. As already stated, it’s a great app, but has had issues with the bugs and developer communication.

I also got a bit jaded when the app I paid for outright, suddenly and without a choice, updated to a subscription model. I was not given the option for a free version, so I paid for the year subscription. I will not be renewing this next year. I’ll be looking at other options.

I paid for the pro blinds up, when he went subscription model I stopped updating the app and run the old version. So far it’s worked that way. I don’t need or want any of the new features, I only use it for a countdown timer with blinds. But each time I use it I half expect it to stop working.

I’d be open to something different.

All I want in an app:
Blind timer with easy to set blinds
Buy in tracking
Custom screen layouts
Payouts that I can set by formula based on number of entries / rebuys

That’s it. I don’t need anything else like seating, league tracking, etc

I used to really like Dr Neau but that was subscription model too. And I run maybe 5 tournies a year. Not worth it.

I think a lot of folks have moved to BlindValet. It is free for many home formats, and the phone remote option for pausing, stopping, starting, etc., is pretty damn handy.

It's great actually. For the tournament I have my tablet for clock screen, while I can manage re-buy/addon, pausing etc from my phone. The only reason I need the paid plan is because I want to customize seating.

It's great actually. For the tournament I have my tablet for clock screen, while I can manage re-buy/addon, pausing etc from my phone. The only reason I need the paid plan is because I want to customize seating.

That sounds good I will check it out what was cost?

That sounds good I will check it out what was cost?

5.8$ per month when using yearly billing (2 months free). That's the plan I have.
If you need poker leagues, that's 9.99$ (2 months free).
Free plan is pretty great though, so most will just need that one.

And the sync across all devices work. I have several members who have it on their phones as well, to check stack sizes, levels etc.

Tommy & PCF should get their own proprietary blinds app. The market is begging for it.

I have several members who have it on their phones as well, to check stack sizes, levels etc.
When you say stack sizes.... How you figuring that? As soon as the first hand is played, isn't it no longer accurate?

When you say stack sizes.... How you figuring that? As soon as the first hand is played, isn't it no longer accurate?

We update them regularly at every break.
But yes of course it isn't live updated. Though in the early parts of the tournament it is very nice to have (pots are also smaller so it stays relevant longer).

Knowing each player's stack size in a home tourney isn't really necessary, but having the average stack size available is nice, and a lot of apps will calculate average stack on the fly as player's bust out.

As for knowing other player's actual chip counts at your table... just look at it.

That's what I was figuring. Just seemed like a lot of hassle to ask every player to count up their stack and report it in on a regular basis. That makes sense though.

That's what I was figuring. Just seemed like a lot of hassle to ask every player to count up their stack and report it in on a regular basis. That makes sense though.

Meh takes me about 1 minute when they all have it ready. We enjoy doing it. :)

I use the free version of Blindvalet when hosting for 20+ players. Since I only use it as a timer and to show the current level, it doesn't really matter that it's restricted to 9 players.

I really like it and the dev is responsive.

Looks like he became the Red Ott of developers. Obviously he's reading all this feedback because he was last on August 1st

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom