Tourney BLINDS UP Tournament Manager for iPad/iPhone Review (2 Viewers)

I'm still here, and still working on it.
Got a baby recently... nights shorter, tiredness greater, work slower! ;)
Congratulations on the little one! Having the last of my two sons graduating next month all I can say is... the time goes by FAST! Loved every moment!

With all that said... I do think the promise of 2.0 needs to be delivered soon. As I've been a champion of this app since the beginning I still think the present version rocks. The personalization alone is a lot of fun! May will be my last Redbelly WSOP game and the app has worked flawlessly. I personally have my iPad hardwired to the screen so I physically have to get up and "bust" players. Because of faults with my setup the AirPlay caused me difficulties in the beginning. Having the remote control ability promised would have been nice. I look forward to 2.0 when it's finally a reality... I do hope, for everyone, that reality is close! Cheers!

I just installed this, and set it up on my iPhone. Here are my short list of items:
- There is nothing for bounties included. It would be nice if on the setup screen you could add a dollar amount for each bounty as part of the buy-in
- I cannot disable the sounds. I turned all of the volumes down on my iPhone 7 and it was still making the noises.
- I wish you could customize the names of the tables (red, green, black for example).

Also, for current users... I have an iPhone, iPad mini (ver 2), and a MacBook Pro. Assuming that I use the same apple ID for all, I assume it will be ok and retain my settings. Also, I see AppleTV is now around $150, and not worth it to me to AirPlay. Can I airplay the iPhone to the Macbook, and hook that up via HDMI, and then control the tournament from my seat?

I am going to hook it up to a TV today and run a "test tournament". Hopefully, it runs like butter.

So, I downloaded this to my phone. I see it is on my iPad, but none of the tournaments, structures, players, etc were on there.

Is there a way to sync devices?

Picking up a used Apple TV tomorrow. Wish me luck, I've got to drive into the city. Yeah!!!

So it looks like version 2.0 is set to release for Beta testing in a couple of weeks! I'm excited.

So it looks like version 2.0 is set to release for Beta testing in a couple of weeks! I'm excited.

Unfortunately I have heard this same thing for over a year. I use this product weekly, it is great despite all the issues. An update would be great but I gave up hope a LONG time ago.

Unfortunately I have heard this same thing for over a year. I use this product weekly, it is great despite all the issues. An update would be great but I gave up hope a LONG time ago.
I hear ya! I too love and use this app regularly. But I have hope!!

There are soooo many things that need work. I wrote to the owner on the facebook support, crickets...

He did just post something on Facebook today about having a beta version out on Sept 30. He also said the reality of the app is he needs to charge more or make it a subscription base to be able to keep supporting it.

My impression
is it was put way on the back burner because "for the money" it wasn't worth all the time he needs to put into it.

Hopefully if he charges more and generates more income it will be a higher priority and we can all get an app that is supported. I use the app weekly and have just settled into what it does do well, I for one wouldn't have a problem paying more than the $10 price tag for an app that does everything it is supposed to.

He did just post something on Facebook today about having a beta version out on Sept 30. He also said the reality of the app is he needs to charge more or make it a subscription base to be able to keep supporting it.

My impression
is it was put way on the back burner because "for the money" it wasn't worth all the time he needs to put into it.

Hopefully if he charges more and generates more income it will be a higher priority and we can all get an app that is supported. I use the app weekly and have just settled into what it does do well, I for one wouldn't have a problem paying more than the $10 price tag for an app that does everything it is supposed to.
100% agree. The app is great as is and has the potential to be even better. We'll see!

My impression

What are the main shortcomings? I used PokerTimer recently and was fine, albeit simple. I have been eyeing BlindsUp but keep hearing of bugs. What are the ones that truly pose a hindrance?

What are the main shortcomings? I used PokerTimer recently and was fine, albeit simple. I have been eyeing BlindsUp but keep hearing of bugs. What are the ones that truly pose a hindrance?
I use it for my league, there really aren't any show stoppers, just a few features that I wish worked better. I have a work around for everything I need.

The air play stability is my biggest issue but that could be my wifi or my ancient apple tv box. The app runs just fine on the iPad, but the TV time will freeze and/or drop and I have to resync. Usually a player just yells out the timer is stuck and I can fix it by just restarting mirroring.

I can't subtract my league rake from the prize pool, or if I can the payout doesn't display correctly until after the tournament is complete. Also I have a hard time trying to pay 4th place a flat payout. ($100 in my structure)

The formula for points is broken. Have to change it from the value of 'p' to the actual number of players.

Deleting some things when entered in error are clunky, and other things have to be done before you can change some settings. Example, you can't build your payout until you have players registered.

Creating a custom layout is hit or miss for me.

Otherwise it runs pretty good. I LOVE that I can export rankings in a csv file. It's easy to bust out players, rebuy or add on. All in all version 1 is worth every penny of the $10.

I wish it could add bounties. Also, I can't seem to get more than 4 payouts to show on screen. Also wish it saved data to the cloud and between devices. My son deleted the app. When i reinstalled it, it remembers my subscription, but all of my data was gone. It would be great if I could open the app on either the iPad or iPhone and see the same thing.

I think I had an issue with the payouts too when I accidentally busted a rebought player incorrectly.

I've never used the app for payouts.. payouts are constant. If you're running a $30 tourney, just keep a spreadsheet you can post, that lists payouts for how many players you expect... I have electronic versions of these payouts based in the entry costs..
Simple.

I've never experienced the airplay issues, other than with my older iPad when I watch YouTube on my tv. The BU app airplays perfectly.

I've never used the app for payouts.. payouts are constant. If you're running a $30 tourney, just keep a spreadsheet you can post, that lists payouts for how many players you expect... I have electronic versions of these payouts based in the entry costs..
Simple.

I've never experienced the airplay issues, other than with my older iPad when I watch YouTube on my tv. The BU app airplays perfectly.
It's not simple when you have 6 rebuys and 13 add-on and the guy on the bubble wants to know the payouts. If you have a freeze out, sure.

Do you know what version Apple TV you have? I'm debating a new one, but this app is the only thing I use it for. All my media watching is done on the fire.

I wish it could add bounties. Also, I can't seem to get more than 4 payouts to show on screen. Also wish it saved data to the cloud and between devices. My son deleted the app. When i reinstalled it, it remembers my subscription, but all of my data was gone. It would be great if I could open the app on either the iPad or iPhone and see the same thing.

I think I had an issue with the payouts too when I accidentally busted a rebought player incorrectly.
How would you add bounties? What are you looking to track?

Agree 100% on cloud storage. Device sync would be another huge benefit. Even for players to "sign in" like they can with blind valet. Have the time in their phones = more TVs for the game.

I also have never had a single air play issue. I mirror an ipad mini to a tv and that has worked flawless.
I have all my issues listed in post #243 of this thread.

One more "bug" i have found is you can load your own custom sound files so you can make it say whatever you want instead of the default audios. BUT you can only load 1 custom audio file, as soon as you try and load 2 different ones for different events it crashes. I loaded and reloaded and messed around with this forever before i figured out that if i just load 1 custom file it will work for that 1 file and it will use the defaults for the others. Not a show stopped by any means, but a bug none the less.

I also have never had a single air play issue. I mirror an ipad mini to a tv and that has worked flawless.
I have all my issues listed in post #243 of this thread.

One more "bug" i have found is you can load your own custom sound files so you can make it say whatever you want instead of the default audios. BUT you can only load 1 custom audio file, as soon as you try and load 2 different ones for different events it crashes. I loaded and reloaded and messed around with this forever before i figured out that if i just load 1 custom file it will work for that 1 file and it will use the defaults for the others. Not a show stopped by any means, but a bug none the less.
Well that's 3/3 that have no airplay issues. Might be time for me to get a new apple TV!

My last game, the airplay cut out about 10 times. I have a 2nd gen Apple TV

As for bounties, TD let you enter them in as part of the buy in. Not a deal breaker, but something to track. I used to track how many bounties people collected

Has anyone gotten the current version (1.8?) to work on the iPhone?
I paid, downloaded, and installed the "Pro" version... set up the blind levels, layout, etc.... but it doesn't even work (n) :thumbsdown:
The play/start button is greyed out for some reason and haven't gotten it to work :(

Just looking to use it for a single table tourney.
I've been using "PokerTimer" by Birdsoft on the iPhone and it's ok, but I'd like being able to see the next blind levels and the custom layout/scaling provided in Blinds Up.

Has anyone gotten the current version (1.8?) to work on the iPhone?
I paid, downloaded, and installed the "Pro" version... set up the blind levels, layout, etc.... but it doesn't even work (n) :thumbsdown:
The play/start button is greyed out for some reason and haven't gotten it to work :(

Just looking to use it for a single table tourney.
I've been using "PokerTimer" by Birdsoft on the iPhone and it's ok, but I'd like being able to see the next blind levels and the custom layout/scaling provided in Blinds Up.
Have you added players to the tournament?

Have you added players to the tournament?

I have entered 12 players in the database, but it doesn't seem to allow me to place them into a tournament... just a lot of greyed out icons.
To be honest, I just need a simple but clear timer showing current levels and the next blind levels along with an audio chime of some sort. The "PokerTimer" comes close, just wanted something to show the next blind levels.

Maybe Blinds Up is too complicated for my intended use. Don't know if I can use it only in it's simplest form. I don't need something to track player stats, points, leagues, etc.
The layout options is what drew me though.

If I had an Android phone, the "Talking Poker Timer" (by Neat Apps4u) looks close to ideal. Simple & clean:
unnamed.png

I have entered 12 players in the database, but it doesn't seem to allow me to place them into a tournament... just a lot of greyed out icons.
To be honest, I just need a simple but clear timer showing current levels and the next blind levels along with an audio chime of some sort. The "PokerTimer" comes close, just wanted something to show the next blind levels.

Maybe Blinds Up is too complicated for my intended use. Don't know if I can use it only in it's simplest form. I don't need something to track player stats, points, leagues, etc.
The layout options is what drew me though.

If I had an Android phone, the "Talking Poker Timer" (by Neat Apps4u) looks close to ideal. Simple & clean:
View attachment 140023
If you want a less frills option check out BlindValet. It’s a web based poker timer

Supposedly the beta test of the new app is coming, but it has been missed many promised deadlines and the creator has gone silent. But he did post a picture of the new beta running a tourney a month or so back.

Supposedly the beta test of the new app is coming, but it has been missed many promised deadlines and the creator has gone silent. But he did post a picture of the new beta running a tourney a month or so back.

I joined his Facebook group for beta testing and have only heard empty promises for well over a year. At this point I 0% expect any changes to the app and if they ever happen it will be a bonus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom